Red/purple Stem On Baby Plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by zhc400, Jun 2, 2014.

1. i noticed on my 5-day old plant that it had a reddish-purple stem. i was curious about it, so i moved some soil out of the way to see if the whole stem was like that, which it wasnt. the ver lower part of the stem that is IN the ground is white, but as it goes up, it has that reddish color. i thought it was because of lack of Nitrogen, so i put a miniscule amout of fertilizer that had 26% Nitrogen in it. still, i dont know whats wrong with it. im using Miracle-Gro. i keep the pot on my roof (good thinking huh?) so it can get maximum sunlight and rain. i live in West-Florida where it is very humid and bright as hell all day. (no exageration). i dont know what the strain this is because i got this from bag seed. also, i noticed that there was a discoloration on one of the first baby leaves. its also a purplish color, looks like a hint of yellow, but the other side doesnt look like that. it doesnt seem as dark as it was yesterday, maybe the fert helped a little? its still kinda dark, but any help would be greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401666844.906445.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401666858.241257.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401666872.659233.jpg

2. no need for ferts at that age. Looks ok to me. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Happy growin

3. I had the same thing man, but mine have gone away now that they are 3 and a bit weeks old. I think it's just genetics, nothing to worry about  :smoke:

4. I also have that red/purpling on my seedlings. I have noticed this personally on my last 3 grows. It only happens when there is a significant change in temperature between day/night. In my grow room, night time temps are around 65-68 F and daytime is around 85.

5. This, temps are the cause.

Op, stop with the food its far too young mate.

6. #6 zhc400, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    i know, i only fed it once, it was becuase i had a mini "panic" & i didnt want it to die.
    but the leaf discoloration, is that normal as well?

7. Purple stems don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. That seedling won't need any "nutes" for a couple weeks at least. Good luck.

8. alright thanks. also, if im not sure if the plant needs to be watered, like if i cant tell if the soil is moist, should i just water it, or wait a day? usually i stick my finger through the bottom of the pot, but sometimes i cant tell.

9. A seedling like that isn't gonna drink that much. Don't go crazy in the watering. How can you not tell if the soil is moist? It either is or it isn't. :p