tide Is Turning As Oregon Voters Overwhelmingly Approve Ban Of Ge Crops

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rotties4Ever, May 30, 2014.

1. #1 Rotties4Ever, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/05/oregon-voters-approve-two-measures-for-ge-crop-bans/

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2014/05/21-1

Yeah bitchez! Even though I was not a part of that ^, I feel like a victory bowl is in order :smoking:, makes you feel like maybe David does stand a chance...

You go humans! Get your humanity back from these lifeless machines!

2. and our corrupt ass gov is doing an investigation into how the people got to vote out gmo because of the monsanto protection act

3. Blind hatred of GM crops is fucking stupid. They're the future now, and soon we will literally need them. The third world DOES need them, but let's try and stop research into them just because you hate Monsanto.

4. #4 Penelope420, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    I'm not sure if I like the idea of voting on a science-based topic, when the vast majority of the voters do not understand the science behind what they are voting for or against. 

5. I have a serious crush a Monsanto representative. Something about a plutocratic woman with olive skin and gorgeous brown locks really gets me going. Am I evil?

6. This is funny considering that the biology department at u of o is pretty much owned by monsanto

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I wouldn't go that far. Evil corperation doesnt mmean evil employees. Many of the scientists at Monsanto believe they are doing good and ffeeding the world. Which in a way they are.

I think there is a lot of paranoia surrounding Monsanto and Gmos.

My biggest problem with gmos are copyright issues, and also allergy.potential.

If she crushes you back, i'd say you're lucky (with maybe only a touch of evil).

http://www.opensourceseedinitiative.org/ossi-pledge/

10. lets us look at the "science" of monstanto:

\tFive Reasons Monsanto's ‘Science' Doesn't Add Up1. Monsanto's Roundup linked to fatal, chronic kidney disease. Article in Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, February 2014
    What happens when you mix glyphosate, the key active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup, with “hard” water? That is, water that contains metals, such as calcium, magnesium, strontium and iron, either found naturally in the soil, or resulting from the use of chemical fertilizers?
    The glyphosate becomes “extremely toxic” to the kidneys.

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/2/2125

2. Monsanto's Roundup persists in soil and water. U.S. Geological Survey report in Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, February 2014
    Monsanto has always insisted (despite evidence to the contrary) that its Roundup herbicide is benign, that its toxicity doesn't persist.
    But that's only half the story, according to a study published this month in Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. Researchers now say that if you study only the key active ingredient, glyphosate, you might, as Monsanto claims, determine that Roundup is benign.
    But there are other ingredients in Roundup, including one called Aminomethylphosphonic acid, or AMPA. The study, called “Pesticides in Mississippi air and rain: A comparison between 1995 and 2007,” found that glyphosate and its still-toxic byproduct, AMPA, were found in over 75 percent of the air and rain samples tested from Mississippi in 2007.
    What does that mean for you? According to one analysis, “if you were breathing in the sampled air you would be inhaling approximately 2.5 nanograms of glyphosate per cubic meter of air. It has been estimated the average adult inhales approximately 388 cubic feet or 11 cubic meters of air per day, which would equal to 27.5 nanograms (billionths of a gram) of glyphosate a day.” Gasp.

3. GMO crops have led to an increase in use of pesticides and herbicides. U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) report, February 2014
    The USDA, which gauging from its track record has never met a GMO crop it didn't like, published a report substantiating what responsible, independent scientists have been saying along. Genetic engineering does not result in increased yields (as industry would have us believe)-but it has led to the increased (not decreased, as industry claims) use of pesticides and herbicides.
    To be fair, the report gives overall favorable reviews to GMO crops. Not surprising, given the agency's cozy relationship with Monsanto. But that makes it all the more telling that the once staunch-defender of GMO crops is now raising questions about industry's long-term, decidedly unproven and unscientific, claims that biotechnology is the best thing since sliced (GMO wheat) bread.
    Sustainable Pulse does a good job of sifting through the USDA's report to reveal the agency's criticisms of GMO crops.

4. Pesticides are more dangerous than we thought. Article in BioMed Research International, February 2014
    More bad news on pesticides. A study published in BioMed Research International this month says that it's not just the toxic chemicals we need to worry about in pesticides. It's the inert ingredients, and how they interact with the active, toxic ingredients.
    Typically, studies conducted to determine the safety of pesticides focus exclusively on the active ingredients. But scientists at the University of Caen tested eight commercial products, including Roundup, and found that nine of them were hundreds of times more toxic than their active ingredient alone.
    Which product won the “Most Toxic” award? Monsanto's Roundup, which was found to be “by far the most toxic of the herbicides and insecticides tested,” according to the study.

5. Small-Scale, organic farming needed to feed the world. U.N. Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Wake Up Before It Is Too Late, December 2013
    In December 2013, the U.N. Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) released the results of a lengthy, in-depth study that blows a huge hole in one of Monsanto's favorite claims, that we need GMOs to feed the world. The study, entitledWake Up Before it is Too Late, concluded with this warning: Small-scale organic farming is the only way to feed the world.
    According to an analysis by one of the report's contributors, the report contains in-depth sections on the shift toward more sustainable, resilient agriculture; livestock production and climate change; the importance of research and extension; the role of land use; and the role of reforming global trade rules.
    More than 60 experts from around the world contributed to the report.
    Clearly the evidence-real, scientific evidence-against GMO crops is mounting, when five new anti-GMO studies and reports surface in a matter of a couple of months.
    How much more will it take before the USDA, U.S. Food & Drug Administration and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency stop supporting an industry under attack from the scientific community? And start putting public health before corporate profits?
    In December, more than 200 scientists, physicians, and experts from relevant fields, signed a statement declaring that the biotech industry is deceiving the public when it claims that GMOs are safe. There is, the group said, no “scientific consensus” to support industry's claims that GMOs are safe.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2014/179691/

http://www.globalresearch.ca/5-reasons-monsantos-science-doesnt-add-up/5372440

I hope thats scientific enough for some of us, what a perfect opportunity to not only teach my self, but show others as well. Thanks for the incentive. Love the way some of us debate on here, its so fascinating, what people will say to get a response..  

11. #11 Rotties4Ever, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
    More on number 5:

http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/ditcted2012d3_en.pdf

worth a look, especially if youre going to argue non sense like we need poison ( which is what GEc's are) to feed all humanity, then again with your track record for flawed arguments being what it is, how silly of me to expect an actual argument based in reality...

12. what so bad about GMO's?

They make your balls suck back inside you and your penis fall off.

14. High allergy potential.
    Potential for biotech corperations to copyright the entire worlds food supply (almost done already)

Then there are many many many accounts of farmers losing pigs/cows/sheep once swiching to bt corn and soy. Lower birth weight. Still births. Lower conception rates. Other reproductive problems. Premature aging.

But the "science" crowd will tell you that farmers are full of shit because there aare no "peer reviewed" papers suggesting health problems, even though they know that the gmos are copyrited and its illegal tto publish health studies without consent of Monsanto.

To top things off, Monsanto passed a law by bribing Congress called the "Monsanto protection act" basically saying that if and when we do discover the health problems, Monsanto is not liable

15. Well also, isn't it like Walmart putting small business out of business?

16. idk what that has to do with gmo food, but yes

17. #17 Rotties4Ever, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    to be fair, those proceedings started to take place before that 'gmo' immunity act, which is a clear cut demonstration where money is the real God, not morals or ethics or personal code of conduct, nope, principals? whats that? can you eat it? can you take it to the bank? if we keep heading on this road we wont like where we end up as a species but maybe its for the best.

but for now, I'll take any glimpse of hope I can and this ban on ge crops is fucking amazing.

18. The free market has spoken!

19. What is this free market you speak of? Sounds wonderful.

20. Hang on here. What's your point? You claim monsanto is so good & socially aware, yet you lament the copyright issues & allergy potential. Can I take a wild fuking guess & assume you vote republican most of the time?
    The problem in this country is the "republican tea bag mentality." Briefly, it is the mentality that says poor people should die rather than have taxpayers pay for their health care. It is also the mentality that believes all taxes & laws & regulations aimed at corporations are always "unknown, burdensome, terrible"
    ALL THE FUCKING TIME
    And, when those like me point it out, they claim to be concerned with a "few minor issues." Well, the corporations don't seem to give a shit about fixing those "few minor issues" like copyright & allergies (which, come to think of it, are actually big issues effecting worldwide physical, financial & mental health), do they?

That's my point about stupid American sheeple. Most of them want gun control (in every poll mind you), but Congress can't act. Most people want big agriculture controlled to prevent health & financial concerns, but our politicians act instead to protect big agriculture interests to the detriment of people...but the sheeple think that those like me need a tin foil hat...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app