Minnesota Becomes 22Nd Mmj State

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Philosiraptor, May 29, 2014.

1. Governor Dayton finally signed the Bill into law!

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/gov-dayton-signs-medical-marijuana-bill-into-law/

I would like to thank all of the politicians who supported this bill.  Especially the senate who voted on a much better version of the bill.

A special thank you goes out to Governor Dayton

(and a huge middle finger goes out to Law Enforcement for not allowing dry herb)

This bill won't be easy to get MMJ (for those of us who don't NEED it) but at least it will help children and adults who do need it.

Come on my fellow Minnesotans.  Let's celebrate! :hello:

[​IMG]

2. #2 MOPMan, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    I guess any progress towards showing medical benefits is good but this bill is shit. Only 2 mmj suppliers, 8 dispensaries, and you can't even use flowers it must be pills or oils. This bill is a bigger win for big pharma than it is the medical patients that need it. I don't need mmj but I would rather this didn't pass.

Edit: P.S. Sorry for being a Debby downer
    Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Yeah have to say, for a medical bill, this is a joke. While I agree anything to help the truly in need is good, this goes WAY too short and most be expanded. The key really is for the law to be less restrictive on the patient (in terms of homegrowing, possession, and obviously the use of dried flowers, etc...) AND then set up a system that is regulated in way that can be monitored but also allow people to provide limited amounts for the TRULY in need. Or else you'll end up either like NJ with a sham for a program, or like CA where dispensaries are nothing more than fronts in some parts of the state and are causing the state to crackdown.

4. #4 Allan421, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    ANOTHER NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT.  IT HAS BEEN SIGNED:
    http://www.startribu.../261099931.html
    \nTHE BILL ITSELF:
    https://www.revisor....ession_number=0
    \nI think this will be very interesting to watch develop.  The two manufactures need to be chosen by 12/1 if MN can't get a supply from the Feds.  There is a six month extension allowed.
    \nWhole plant extracts are allowed. It's not a CBD only law but there will only be two manufactures and they will get to choose strains with input from the Commissioner. 
    \nI wish we had a MMJ State Specific Thread we could work this discussion in.  I'll ask the Moderators. 

5. Why does it sound good when you say it?  All I've gotten is crap, namely from you and a few others, for saying the same exact thing and telling you long before this passed what a horrible bill it is.

Sadly, this is the kind of schizophrenic flip-flopping I've come to expect here.

6. #6 dekabos, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_criticism

Since you seem to care, maybe tone down the condescension and negativity in your posting. (I feel like we've been here before...) You can present the same perspective in a way that won't make people want to ignore you or argue about the petty stuff.

7. I read the article in the Pioneer Press about this.  They still call it "Pot"

It's looks like there is still going to people protesting at the Governors house that a lot of people wouldn't qualify for the MMJ.

8. IMO the people failed to protect public interest on this one, as they submitted to the unrealistic, illogical, unfounded demands of law enforcement. That alone should have inspired a vote-down by the people, until something WORKABLE was proposed.

If that wasn't bad enough... more than one private interest group steered the direction of this bill; it wasn't just the law enforcement. Pharma interests are furthered here by the exclusion of raw cannabis. That is an alley-oop right to GW Pharma et al who are cutting towards the basket as we speak, ready to deliver all the patented, whole-plant extract you can handle!

WOOOOOOOOOOP THERE IT IS!

It's not perfect here in CO but very workable for the interests of us, the laymen who deserve raw access and the ability to distribute/cultivate legally amongst ourselves. What was passed in MN, in my opinion is leaving far too many people unserved to be considered any sort of success. Especially considering how tightly this new program is funneled into the hands of a very few.

Only TWO "manufacturers" and EIGHT dispensaries for the ENTIRE state? Jeez. Why not just completely screw the common man, and put it directly into CVS/Walgreens?

9. That would be MPP and "Minnesotans for Compassionate Care" that didn't get the measures THEIR special interest backers wanted.
    Those interests seem to center around wanting to be the producers. The Governor side-stepped them and will hand it over to a couple hand-picked "partners."

10. As a patient who would qualify for this horrid law, just how passive and pleasing need I be when I am being denied medication for my serious health conditions? How pissed would you be? Then add to the mix someone who couldn't tell me how wrong I was about this law now coming in here and saying what a horrible law it is? And throughout all this, I have to worry if I am "positive enough" for persons like yourself? What else can the sick and dying do for you to make your life more palitible?

In a just world, someone who cared might take to the streets to defend the rights of people like me who could use some HELP in life, and not people telling them to shut up, like the laws that are passed, do more to change the laws even though you are sick, and for gawd's sake, despite all the crap you have to endure, do it in a "positive way" so that your personal ire is not riled in any way.

Thank you for your "support."

11. #11 MunchiesMan78, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
    I read the article (thanks for the link) and what I read sounds horrible

"The compromise bill upset some medical marijuana advocates, who say many people who need relief won't get it. But legislative backers say it is a positive first step that satisfied concerns of law enforcement and doctor groups. Dayton had said he wouldn't get behind a bill that those two entities opposed."

I'm really starting to think more and more now that medical marijuana is hurting the cause for recreational marijuana (something everybody wants). And why the fuck do we need to "satisfy" law enforcement and doctor groups? If you want to satisfy them, you would have to outlaw it again so that way they can start making the big bucks without having to worry about MMJ hurting their buisness. The only people really benefiting from this law are the doctors that work for big pharma.

"Dayton said he wouldn't get behind a bill that those two entities opposed."
    What the fuck? Then why did you legalize it in the first place? There will always be groups and special interests that oppose shit. Always, because that's how politics work sadly. The people of Minnesota should have voted down this god awful bill. The same shit is happening in florida, too. "Highly restricted and highly controlled, the most restrictive in the nation blah blah".

When will people realize that medical marijuana is pointless? Yes, I know cannabis had amazing medical benefits so don't jump on me about this. The reason why I say MMJ is pointless is because there is no need for it anymore. Back then, people didn't know whether or not it was safe as people claimed it was, they knew it had medical properties, so they would leagalize for medical only. Today, we know that this is safer than fucking alcohol by far. Colorado and Washington have showed us that weed can be legal recreationally, so why do we still have to go through this painfully slow process of legalization?

More than you are now. You're impossible to talk with. All you do is talk at people, and not in a way that makes you very tempting or fulfilling to listen to. I'm just saying: don't be surprised when people don't want to hear it. We humans are soft, squishy, delicately emotional meat socks, and we like to communicate as such. A pissed off sounding pessimist could have the most compelling, insightful ideas imaginable and he would still turn people away by communicating like a bitter ass. 

Again: do what you want, just don't act surprised if nobody wants to hear it.

13. What am I impossible about? When I've read the laws and know the score and I'm supposed to placate those claiming "steps in the right direction?" What a waste of emotional energy biting my tongue for the squishy ones who can't be bothered to even READ something? I'm not worried about offending any such lazy idiots. And when I call them out for being lazy? So what? Its the truth. Can't handle the truth? I think there's a "block" button. Push it. I won't miss anyone that can't handle the honest truth.

14. If you don't mind me asking, what is your serious medical condition?

15. #15 dekabos, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

Done and done!

16. The people did not vote on this law.  There were two Bills, Senate and House, very different, almost got tabled, Gov. signaled he may be up for a compromise after getting guilted by sick folks, Congress went to Conference Committee to sort out differences and in one day drafted the current version and passed it in both houses the next day.  It is very poorly worded and thought out IMO.

I read in the Daily Cannabis News today that there is already concern that the chosen entities for production and distribution, whomever they may turn out to be, will likely have a tough time making money with 5K patients, $45 per gram of oil, 2.5 grams per pt. per month.  The "Rule-Making" body will decide if these are to be non-profits or what.

A lot will need to change in this law for there to be a hope of success.  As it stands, a registered patient will face Felony charges if caught with any plant matter weight.  For the General Public in MN that level doesn't doesn't kick in until 42.5g+.

Here is another very interesting article:  http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/261027301.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue  

Come on dekabos for f#cks sake, leave it alone.  Ignore the man if he isn't squishy enough for you.  These are important matters and there is a lot of very messed up stuff in this law and he is pissed off!  So are a lot of people!  I am also!  I am an AIDS patient, because I know you want to know, and I am pissed the hell off!  I was betrayed in Nov., arrested with a medical garden, handed a felony, evicted, robbed by tweaks while in jail for my small garden, and now am "granted" this f'd up law.  I'll rant and rave if I damn well feel like it!

18. #18 Allan421, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

Hey dekabos, if you prefer your content sanitized and censored and squishy then hit the damn ignore button and quit your bitching and whining.  The button is at the top of the screen.  Click your handle and it's underneath of the "content I follow" option. 

19. Hey dekabos, if you prefer your content sanitized and censored and squishy then hit the damn ignore button and quit your bitching and whining.  The button is at the top of the screen.  Click your handle and it's underneath of the "content I follow" option. 

20. Crohn's Disease since 2006. Been doing IV infusions for it since 2008. Also have Type I diabetes since age 4 and use an insulin pump, Celiac Disease, debilitating food allergies, and was rear-ended by a commercial truck going 55 MPH as I sat at a red light in 2006.