From Humble Beginnings.... 2014

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by ThePot, May 28, 2014.

1. As the saying goes, every season is a learning experience.. This year I have learned an important lesson, something that never quite 'clicked' all this time til now ha.

Starting germinating in late May when the sun is just coming out and everything is warming up and just starting to grow is A LOT different than germing late June/early July. It wasn't until I read someone's comment somewhere about how deer eating plants is much more a problem/worry in drought conditions that this all suddenly made sense.

May/early spring - sun isn't nearly as intense as later in the summer, if you leave a couple seedlings out in the sun for too long they will probably make it unless its really hot out. At this point probably more worried about low temps and not highs. Also since its so early in spring vegetation hasn't started to grow, bugs aren't really out/hatching etc, animals have plenty to eat etc etc. One could also argue it is much wetter and more rain early spring than summer.

July/summer - Fast forward a month or so and its a whole different story. More hours of sun, higher in the sky, much more intense rays. Needless to say, do not leave seedlings in the Sun! lol only did that once this year... Of equal importance is aforementioned difference with bugs/animals. Once summer comes, less rain, drought conditions usually happen here and there for most people. This causes deer to look more for food, different places, different plants etc, and leads to them chomping up your plants. -- Not only that but... (what never occurred to me) is that the same goes for bugs. They are much more active in summer, have little ones I'm sure, need to get out of heat, need to eat and so if you're plants and especially seedlings are outside and are the only watered/wet/cool things, bugs/slugs/beetles etc are gonna be all over that and you'll lose anything they can bite through.

And this is why when I germinated outside in May everything went perfect, not bothered, no invasive  insects, just a plastic bag kept everything away and let them grow. Ever since then I haven't gotten shit to start outside because bugs find them so easily and just over the course of a couple hours can lose seedlings, which I did lose about 3 or 4 at least just to bugs...

Anyway this is a long ass post but hopefully sheds some light for people before plants are lost. I have to get out to check on things tonight, been raining a lot from Arthur so not too worried about anything. Fingers crossed.

2. Guess I've been slacking a bit on my journal and pics lately.. No worries though, everything is going about as well as I could hope for so just watching the weather and trying to feed them and get out there at least once a week.  The purple maroc got HUGE just in the past week or so. Must be all the hot weather and that big storm that came through. Not too happy with the 2 in the tub, but need to move them and they must need more N. All these pics are from last night, gave them a little feeding of fish fert/molasses/kelp meal again and used up the last of my ewc.

pics:
    - tub with the auto on bottom, just started flowering, jack on top still real small..
    - biggest unknown/kush? no more bug damage on new growth at least.
    - next 2 pics are the Purple Maroc :)
    - FBK getting some lst
    - unknown that was next to fbk originally
    - another unknown planted a diff spot
    - last pic is from the 2nd spot where the above plant is. Can see the Super Moon and what I have to walk through that's over my head lol

Attached Files:

3. #23 OldPork, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Looking good Pot, you should have some tasty morsels come fall!  Love the FBK, I can't wait to see how the smoke turns out.  BTW another even bigger supermoon is coming this August.

4. Hey guys, know I've been slacking lately but really not much goin on and lots of rain, which means no watering :)

Got out today, lost the auto but it was nothing anyway. Don't know what the issue with the tub is but both sucked all season. Maybe too wet. Topdress with some chicken manure, probably about the last I will do. Don't know much of anything I can/should add in flower if anyone has any thoughts on that

Everything else is good though. pics of everything today! 2 or 3 started flowering (preflowers)

pics: jack
    purple maroc, just started flowering. Solid 5+ feet, should prob be staked up soon.
    unknown, kush?
    unknown
    2 pics of the FBK, real glad I tied her down
    PM + unknown
    then the other in the other spot, unknown...

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for stopping in ET

6. Sup blades, can't believe we're halfway thru August already!

So the bad news is that my laptop might be dead for good. No clue what happened but just says "hard drive not found" lol not a good look..... Praying to recover the files and everything/anything..... Fuck. Have like 100 gig of music, at least I backed up pics of my son not long ago.

But onto better news - everything at the spot is great. Fbk is a beauty, not flowering yet tho.... ? the p maroc is already flowering up real quick, others are smaller but doin their thing. Wish there were a few more out tho lol. Made some qwiso hash that came out decent even with fucking up the filtering part. Not sticky as shit at least.

No real way to post pics ATM but will have time to see what's happening with the laptop tmrw. Think it's gonna be a good fall though :)

Stay safe out there everyone, y'all are killin it

7. So I'm back up and running, to a degree.....  got a new HD and OS, but lost everything that was important to me unless I wanna pay a grand or so for data recovery.... so that sucks.

Got out today, beautiful day feels like fall already.

As is the story of my entire life, got more bad news today. Somehow, the fucking FEMINIZED FBK is a fucking male!!!! Pretty devestated to find that out, just ripped that fucker right out. Looks like another dissapointing harvest once again, only 4 plants now plus 1 tiny one. Fortunately for next year I already have sufficient seeds, ferts/amendments, and should have enough pots and soil so it might be a cheap year at least. Still can't keep the plant count up, but maybe next year.

Just counting down the days now, don't expect any problems or anything as long as the weather holds up. All the hard works done at this point.

Attached Files:

8. Hey blades. Today was the first time I had to water all year! Actually been hot lately and no rain but they're happy. The first one pictured above is way bigger now, unknown.

hope everyone is doing good out there :smoke:

2nd pic is maroc, last 2 are the unknown I mentioned.

Attached Files:

9. Looking good Pot! I'm glad to see you doing your thing outdoors this year. Mind if i pull up a chair roll up some good smoke and join you for the end of the season? :smoke:
    Keep up the good work man!

10. Yo sergei thanks, always welcome brotha!  

Happy Friday everyone  :smoking:

11. Got out today, another hot day for sure. Im gonna call it about 3 weeks for the PM and Jack, hopefully not more than 5 for the rest... Jack is looking real frosty.

Broke my beautiful honeycomb bowl 2 night ago :(  I used to love going to buy new glass, but now just reminds me of how many pieces are RIP and how much money I've spent on glass.....  Got a nice new one though, pics to come later, its pretty intense lol.

pics are jack, PM, unknown.

Attached Files:

12. Can't wait to smoke this jack, its a jack33 from CH9, crazy frosty!

Hoping about 2 weeks on the maroc and jack hopefully about 4 for the rest, would love everything in by OCt 15...

pumped this first pic came out! a couple new friends checkin the buds :smoke:
    pics are jack, pm and the other 3 that are behind.

IMG_20140915_132846.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Looking good man, nice work.

14. Tanks man, my computers fucked certain keys dont work lol. anyone elp wit tat? runnin out tonite, plan on rabbin a few test buds!  :yay:

15. #36 ThePot, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    Sup guys. Computers still fucked but the end of the season has arrived! Only chopped the Jack and top Cola of maroc so far. First test buds were great though. Time for trimming..... yuck.

Hope everyones bringing in their own soon. Enjoy the end, beautiful weather still in new england :)
    Hope to have everything in by Sunday myself

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Nice little harvest bro, those buds are nice