From Humble Beginnings.... 2014

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by ThePot, May 28, 2014.

1. #1 ThePot, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Yo blades, I am officially checking in for this season! :ey:      

Hopefully most of you have seen me around here and there, I've been around for quite a few years at this point, and always try to stop by and see whats up with all you. I don't know what I'd do without growing all summer honestly, I'd be a lost soul lol. 
    As with most people I've def had my ups and downs, losses and harvests. However, this year I have lots of good shit, lots to look forward to, and seem to be having a decent start (fingers crossed, knocks on wood). 
    Im up at 42N so my season has just started, I think my last frost date was just a few days ago... weather is always a bitch in general. Same spot as last year too.

But anyway on to the relevant details here: 
    - First attempt of some ROLS (recycled organic living soil) how living it is I don't know lol, but I know it is recycled, reamended, and organic. Pretty excited to see what's gonna happen with it.

Essentially my soil is this - (atm)
    30 or so gallons recycled mix from last year (mostly promix)
    1 bale of compressed coco - figure it to be about 20 gallons
    1 cf of humus/manure
    1 cf lobster compost
    most of a 30 gallon bag of EWC
    2-3 cups of Garden Tone 3-4-4 and Coast of ME Kelp and Lobster Meal 5-3-4

Waiting on a soil test ATM for some better info. These are all going in pots, a bunch of 10g, 1 20g, a few 5'ers, and maybe some other pots. Have one hole and a mix of different pots - smart pots, plastic, etc.

Also I got some real solid strains, I think a lot of people are running some of the same, definitely let me know!
    3 unknowns - 1 being a nice kush I believe.
    Purple maroc, critical hog, gigabud, jack 33, Flowerbomb Kush, Lowryder #2   have all been started - 8 total.

Also will probably start c99, GHS jack herer, pandora?

pics and news to come... thanks for comin by, sorry for the rambling ha

2. Cool bro glad your journaling this year. Good luck and may the ganja gods bless your season

3. #3 ThePot, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Yo RD thanks for comin' in!

And some pics.. what I did for the coco was just leave it out in a trash bag in a bin for a few rainstorms and it almost completely separated by itself which was nice. Just added it slowly to the mix as I put in soil. You can see its real light.
    Also what I've been doing this year which has been working great is just ziplock bags with holes cut out of middle @ top. As you can see that one unknown girl grew straight through the hole :hello:
    and a pic of a new spot

Attached Files:

4. Cool, cool looking good

5. #5 ThePot, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Hey GC, got everything planted on Friday, 9 total. Gave everything a drink today think more rain is coming.

Anyway, I got my results of my first soil test. For some reason everything is way 'excessive', never gotten a soil test and no idea why the numbers are what they are, any help is much appreciated. Sample was from about 3 weeks or so after everything was added, so idk...  Happy about the 36% organic matter though

Attached Files:

6. Sup guys, pics aren't really worth putting up at this point but everything is still alive except the Critical Hog.

Unfortunately my guerrilla luck has finally come to an end.... got diagnosed with fucking lyme disease today.....  Never saw a tick or felt a bite, just a rash and a devastating headache for a few days. Always check myself out of the bush, go home strip search and shower, always so careful.  Thankfully I got right into the Drs and got medication etc. Just gonna hope for the best at this point.   fml

7. Damn Pot that really sucks.  How you doing?  What is it like and what symptoms made you go to the doctor?

8. Pretty horrible at the moment.. doc said symptoms might get worse when i take antibiotics at first so thats fun. Well it sucks a lot, cant move my head, have a fever, neck and brain are killing. eyes hurt to move.  she gave me a few tylenol w codeine but doesnt do much of anything. Just smoked at least :)

What originally happened is this bad headache - like a hangover just wouldn't go away. I dont get headaches/migraines and usually can kill them with some ibuprofen, water and a bowl but this was just constant.. Essentially I've had this brain numbing headache since Sun morning.. I saw a rash but wasnt typical tick bite so hoped for best. Then today my neck was totally fucked and I had a bad fever when I woke up so I had to go Dr.. not something Ive done in over 3 years...

9. #9 Uncle Benny, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    So sorry to hear about this Pot.  Hope you feel better real fast.

On Saturday I visited my garden and I forgot my but bug spray, which has deet 23.  Normally I spray down real good and have no bug problems, but Saturday I took my chances.  Luckily all I got was a bunch of mosquito bites.

I've only been hit by one tick that I got by walking through a deer trail which ran through some high grass.   Because of this, I try to avoid high grasses.

Pretty neat getting a soil test!  The one thing that struck me was that your soil is testing at 6.9 ph, which IMHO I'd like to get that soil down to about 6.5 ph.  What you may also find is that the soil PH will change a bit as the soil breaks down.  It would be kinda neat to see how the soil tests at the end of the season just to get a comparison.

Your soil appears to be very fertile.

10. #10 ThePot, Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks Benny, feeling a little better today still immobile for the most part though. I agree with the Ph, just don't know what to add to lower it a bit. I was thinking of using some fish ferts for N which is decently acidic. I think the results are decent minus the excessive p and k. My area is very well known for ticks and lyme disease, whenever I've used bug spray even with permethrin or whatever, doesn't really stop them.... generally see less of them as the season goes on though. You can bet your ass I will be killing any tick I see from here on out :devious:

11. Damn dude hope you get better soon I had a good friend who had to get daily shots for years cause of lymes its no joke. Luckily they have a vaccine now for it takes like three or four shots and your clear.

12. #12 ThePot, Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks RD, I thought they had something like that.. yea apparently once you have it you have it forever, like chicken pox and shit. I've also had the great luck of getting shingles which is actually like 83458349085093x worse than this.. apparently its rare for anyone under like 50 to get shingles.

On a humorous note - once you have the Lyme you're officially exempt from the draft (if it came back) and cannot even voluntarily be in the armed forces :p

Finally got my Pandora and Jack Herer in soil today too, just in time.

13. #13 ThePot, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
    Gonna throw some pics up finally. Got out yesterday, slow but think they're finally acclimated to everything. This lyme shit is still fuckin with me but still getting better slowly I guess. Still have the Pandora and JH not at the spot and started a buddha tahoe - saw @[member="OldPork"] was growing one, and something else cant rem right now....

pics are:
    spot
    FB Kush left random on right
    Gigabud
    Jack 33
    Lowryder
    Purple Maroc
    and then 2 more randoms, think the big one is a Kush? (hopefully)

Happy Father's Day to everyone, unfortunately not seeing my son today but at least he's having fun while I work.

Attached Files:

14. Got out tonight for first fish feeding Alaska 5-1-1. They are really taking off now, even compared to above pics from 3 days ago! Don't know if the pandora will make it but have the jack and the super silver is germing, not the green crack yet. ONe more to start to get to 11/12 plants but can't decide what.. have GSC but not fem, critical og not fem, PPP, dinafem cheese, c99 are the top picks as of now.

I don't care what anyone says, unless you're goin out to the woods in the middle of the night to make sure everything is ok and watered, you've got it too easy! :p

15. #15 OldPork, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014

Now wait a second this is killing me here.  First I was elated to see you, The Pot, the man and the myth, firing up a thread and then I read you have Lymes?...a painful letdown bro.  But let's not make any rash decisions here (no pun intended)
    I have been bitten so many time by ticks I can't count so last year I went to the Doc and told him I think I may have Lymes, so he said well then let play it safe and just treat you for it with antibiotics...but then I said to him, "Is there such a thing as immunity to Lymes?" and he says there is a blood test that he could run to see if I have been exposed to Lyme's and it looks for the antibodies that show my immune system has successfully fought it off in the past, but my blood had to be tested before I start the antibiotics.  So we did the test and lo and behold it came back that my body fights it off.  Yes I have had lymes and my immune system fights it off.
    Maybe it's the same with you bro.  Test costs a couple hundred but since I was there to see him for Lymes he charged it to my insurance and they paid.

16. Heya Pork . lol rash decisions that's a good one.

Yeah its fucked up, the Dr I saw said 'oh close enough to lyme disease get a blood test.' So I get it done, doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me, but essentially the Dr summed it up as being negative on one test, positive on another?? somethin like that.... Which I, like yourself, got the thought of 'oh well maybe my body is healthy enough for it to overpower the lyme infection enough to test negative??? I'll have to reread the results and maybe look into it. As you said its antibodies or something in the blood.. idk. Anyway I was recovering great and then I got this queer Bells Palsy thing in my face, so half my face is fucked up now until it hopefully heals.... sucks.

17. I did all that jazz in my younger years now being older im much happier growing my meds in my yard. ;)

When I went the Doc he asked me if I knew how long the tick had been on me...because he said if it's less than 24 hours, the tick would not have had enough time to get full and regurgitiate...which is when you get Lymes...the regurgutation phase.  I know the headache and the stiffness you speak of, don't sweat it bro, you are getting treatment early enough and you'll be A-OK....what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

19. #19 ThePot, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
    Just a small update tonight. Lost the fucking gigabud, looks like a deer ate it. Fortunately everything else out is growing well (7 total), soil seems to retain some good moisture. tahoe didnt make it, jack herer might not make it, green crack never germed.. dinafem cheese just started and some randoms just germing.

I was getting raped by bugs of all sorts when I was out so only got 1 pic of FBKush (left) and the random one that needs to be transplanted out asap.

Attached Files:

20. #20 ThePot, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    2 more -  fbk (right pic), replanted that other next to it. then the 2 other unknowns in a 10 gallon, have to transplant that small one too..

Attached Files: