The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1. sicarius tenebrosus 'six eyed sand spider'. Extremely venomous. These are basically super recluses, they're extremely dangerous.

One of the few spiders I consider deadly venomous. That said, they're really cool, and watching them bury themselves is hilarious.

People will often use images of wounds caused by this very species to mislead the public into thinking a widow or brown recluse caused such a horrific bite. They aren't aggressive though, you'd have to step on one or press it against your skin to get bit.

2. I saw someone say a brown recluse can only bite you if you push it down while grabbing it or slapping it. Why is this tho? Can they actually bite you ? Just don't?

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1305920-Kushgodrex%27s-First-Grow

3. 8

The video didn't show up in my app, but I figured that's what it was. One of my favorite YouTube vids.

I looked into the species and their venomosity and read a lot of accounts from researchers accidentally grabbing them in the field with scoops of sand and still not being bitten. They seem tame in that respect, but I'd still obviously never purposely handle one. I really really really really would like one and have looked into lockable shatterproof tanks and such. Very awesome spiders.

I think a few of the recluse bites you see online are real, but they are like the same set or two of photos you always see and are in no way typical. Those people might have also had an allergy or extreme sensitivity to the venom. That or maybe an atypical amount of venom released. Regardless, with the amount of people bit every year, you'd expect a lot more new gory shots.

Recluse are not the only source of necrotoxin in the world. Look up g. Bothrops snake bites. Best if you're not eating.

•Jazz• . OK, USA . Current Crops
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using GrassCity Forum Mobile app

4. It's speculation that their fangs are either not strong enough to penetrate human skin, or not long enough to do much damage.

They're active hunters so rolling over them in bed or smashing one with your foot in your shoe is common. Enough pressure and you do the work for them. Granted, they're probably squashed to death anyways.

5. Spiders tend to do everything they can not to waste their venom.

If they waste it, they require a period of several hours to produce enough to hunt with.

Aside from accidental bites, you'd honestly have to tease the spider relentlessly in a scenario that doesn't give the spider a chance to escape. Only a few spiders will outright attack you when you get close, arboreal tarantulas from the old world are an example.

mygalomorphs can be pretty mean as well.. There's a beautiful metallic Californian species calisoga longitarsus that will bite the shit outta ya, should you try to handle one. Doesn't matter how calm you are, they are extremely defensive.

6. Oh yeah, usamber orange baboons aren't nicknamed orange bitey things for nothing

7. You do get docile specimens every once in a while though haha..  

8. I walked outside to watch the Perseid meteor shower last nigh but there was way too much cloud cover but on my way back in the house I saw this bug trapped in a spider's web, struggling for dear life. I sat there and watched the spider(small, little light-brown guy with no real pattern to the web) bide its time, wait until the bug was weaker and pounced on it. No idea what exactly happened because I had to poop because when I came back outside the web, the arachnid, and the the bug were no longer there.

Thought I'd share

9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uloborus

Sounds like a uloborid..  they have no venom glands, relying on their web to do the work for them.  Some species kill prey by constricting it with silk so much that they are crushed.

That is really hard to believe, but I now know what my plans are for the night: youtube vids of people handling their OBTs.  It's guaranteed to be entertaining.

I can't imagine the viewing being the best given the moon phase.  You'd really need to be out in the middle of nowhere to avoid the rampant light pollution.  For once, North Korea is probably enjoying a great show.  Which reminds me of this I saw recently, just look at this shit:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/26/282909885/north-koreas-still-in-the-dark-as-photos-from-space-show

It's almost as dark as the ocean.  That's insane.

11. A meteor shower that comes every year is not worth an eternity in a gulag lol but north korea is fucked...cant even imagine what itd take for that malnourished country to rise up

I live near the mountains so usually the light pollution isnt terrible but this year the clouds/moon just said FUCK YOU

so i watched a spider instead

12. Sup smokehound, I'm just sitting here in the front yard, there is shade from trees and bushes, and I'm looking at a spider that looks like a female black widow but is the color of a male widow. It has the telltale red marking. Web structure is same. Is it one of those look a likes?

13.  Immature widows have a light brown color, resembling brown widows.  Males resemble sub-adult females.  

Adult male Latrodectus hesperus: (western black widow)

[​IMG]

Adult male Latrodectus variolus: (Northern black widow)

[​IMG]

Adult female Latrodectus geometricus (Brown widow):

[​IMG]

Sub adult female Latrodectus hesperus (western widow):

[​IMG]

they all have subtle differences in their abdominal patterns.  Males have enlarged palps.

14. Awesome! Yeah that's exactly it, thanks my man.

If I ever see a cricket on a cig break I'll toss it his way.

15. Doing yard work today and this SOB was almost on my face. Anybody know what it is? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408751696.970379.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408751750.154000.jpg

16. So my mind got fucked this morning. I have that one jumping spider I found last week in a critter cage. I also caught a smaller jumping spider that day too and took both home. When I got home, the smaller one managed to escape and wasn't in its cup. Don't know when it escaped, figured it was on the ride home.

Anyway, I've been busy at home lately so I haven't been able to give the spider too much attention. When I was leaving for work, I figured I'd let it go. Open up the cage and there's 2 jumping spiders in it! Been pondering all morning and it either hitched a ride on the tree branches I cut to put in the cage, which I doubt, or it was the one who escaped and snuck into the cage with the other one and then grew too big to sneak back out. Never got any photo or video of the small one, so I can't really compare it.. but I think it looks pretty similar to the little one I caught. It's just, what the hell..

Mobile mumbling..

17. ^^_
    That's fucking crazy

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. probably came from your yard and entered the critter keeper on its own.  

Jumping spiders can have massive ranges, phidippus audax, for example, is present in virtually every US state, and is most common in urban areas.

Sometimes I'll travel a considerable distance looking for a particular species, then end up finding it in my backyard.

if their head can fit through something, the rest of their body can as well.  I've had tarantulas escape by nudging lids open just wide enough for them to poke their head through.  How they manage it without rupturing their abdomen amazes me.