The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37e5k_TS5tk[/video]

Some Dysdera crocata I'm rearing.  These spiders live long lifespans.. most true spiders max out around 3 years or so, but these could potentially live to be ten years with appropriate care, IMO.

As you can see, they are peaceful towards one another, mama got curious of the commotion, seemingly anticipating food.

(spiders DO learn!)

Haha the whole time I'm struggling to keep the more adventurous slings from escaping, one got out TWICE.  Crafty little fucker waited til I let my guard down.. :laughing:

2. I hope hotdogs explode with white stuff from the tip...

3.  The fear of spiders by western civilizations in recent times is almost completely media-generated, and learned.

True arachnophobia is quite rare, if you think you have it, chances are, you don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi

Most native cultures actually treat spiders with respect, and see them as comical figures.  In africa, spiders are heralded as tricksters, much like the coyote in north america. Despised as pests in developed areas, revered as clever lighthearted heroes in mythology.

4. When I was in high school, I had a homeroom teacher who didn't like spiders. I didn't know she was arachnophobic (her words) at the time, but I printed out 100+ spiders and talked the new kid into helping me hide them all over her room. In her books, under shit, in the projection screen, just everywhere. She didn't have a 1st period class, so 2nd period came and I was in another class. Someone knocked on the door and my teacher went, then called for me. Went out and there she was in tears, guess she had some sort of breakdown in the middle of class. She was a cool teacher though, like half the school ignored me for about a week. Her 2nd and 3rd period classes spent the entire time looking through everything to find more of them. I was supposed to have a private detention with her, those usually lasted like 30 minutes, but I made her laugh within the first couple minutes and then she was like "I can't even look at you right now, just go" cause she wanted to be mad, but couldn't be after I got her to laugh. The next day she told me that it helped her in a weird way, like she wasn't phobic of spiders after that.. still didn't like them, but she got her fear out of her system.

I've always been like that. If I find out someone has a fear, I can't help but want to expose them to it. I've done it a lot actually and it almost always helps. Gotten quite a few people to not be terrified of spiders and snakes. I live with my sister and she hates spiders, but ever since I moved in and have been making her look at them when I find them, she's gotten a lot better with it.

5. no no, like how when you microwave one, and it kind of implodes and splits? your penis does that. joe rogan told me

6. I'm going to tell Joe rogan to stop telling you stuff

7. #27 bongtokes6200, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    haha. why, is it bullshit? i never googled it, too scared of what i would see.

8. #28 pickledpie, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
    I should be more scared of googling it, I actually have the potential of having that happen to me.

Though I don't go around googling penises anyways. *appropriate emoticon here*

9. The priapism doesnt cause your dick to split open.. *sigh*  However a long-lasting erection is very dangerous nonetheless, as blood is being diverted from the rest of your body towards your penis.

It's just a long-lasting erection.  Also, it's not the most potent venom in the spider world, that title is and always has belonged to the Sydney funnelweb spider.  (I totally want one, btw, sadly they're illegal here :(  )

Bites from Phoenutria are actually quite rare even in their natural habitat, as they have a very prominent and intimidating threat display.

they rear up on their hind legs, and do a "dance", flashing the bright yellow underparts, which are warning colors.

10. I knew a dude that did the same thing and he got beat up.

11. He forgot to use the vuvuzula..

12. I had to google that and I still don't understand...

13.  vuvuzulas are useful for being so annoying that the person hearing the noise will commit suicide to escape.

14. Ohshit... that's pretty dark. This dude was just having an ego trip and acting pretty fruity at the same time. Though suicide might have occurred if no one did end up beating him up loll.

15. I don't kill spiders so they can kill the other little pests but when I'm high, I'm not really into having a big one crawling on my face, ya know what I mean?

16. Lol I don't mind spiders. I found some in my room and didn't kill them. Though they both ended up drowning in my milk somehow. They were both jumping spiders btw.

17. Lol this thread aint dying, sorry spider haters!

Here are some cool spiders

Wolf spiders:

Schizocosa maxima

[​IMG]

Often confused for Hogna, even by experienced arachnologists, this species can actually get LARGER than Hogna sp

Schizocosa mccooki

[​IMG]

She was a total sweetheart.  Skittish at first, but I eventually earned her trust.  Note her pose, legs relaxed, abdomen resting directly on my hand.  I ended up selling her to someone, I wonder how she's doing..  she should still be alive.

Genus Hogna

[​IMG]

These are very large wolf-spiders.  Very impressive hunters, huge powerful eyes.  This species really earns it's namesake, when hunting, they'll often do a running leap, just like a wolf taking down a deer.

Arctosa littoralis

[​IMG]

A small but beautiful species, they can be found on sandy shorelines.  Very common around beaches. 

Pirata piraticus

[​IMG]

Very small species, often behaves similar to dolomedes, running over the surface of water.  Generally found around lakes and ponds.

Other spiders:

Agelenopsis aperta 'Desert grass-spider'..  Giant relatives of the smaller funnelweavers you often find around the house.  In terms of legspan, they arent as big as Eratigena (formerly tegenaria), but they have much more mass, very thick powerful legs.

They are ferocious predators, look up 'agelenopsis feeding' on youtube..  despite that, they are totally shy, and I have yet to be bit by this species, literally waist-deep in grasses, they just rely on their ridiculous speed (possibly the fastest land animals on earth, btw).

[​IMG]

Phidippus audax

Very very awesome spiders!  I've been working with this genus for quite some time, and they continue to impress me with their intelligence and learning abilities.  Not to mention they are badass hunters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one was a male I had for a couple of years.  He was completely tame, trusted me 100%.  I think it was due to me introducing him to several females (who all loved him BTW, would repeatedly harass him so he would mate again too :laughing:)

18. So lame.. I found a gorgeous jumping spider. Took me like 5 minutes just to catch it without hurting it. Got him on my hand and he was just chilling there. He was mainly dark red and his butt end was striped black and white. After a couple minutes, tried sneaking my phone out and when I went to get a picture, it jumped in to the grass and I lost him :(

19.  Yeah photographing jumpers is very difficult.  They hate cellphones.  It's because they see a huge dark object, with a lens resembling a giant spider eye.  Sometimes they are mellow and curious, but generally, they are very skittish.

20. Where did you get that bold jumper I want one so bad 😭

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum