The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1.  If you're in the west, it's likely araneus gemmoides/gemma, if you're in the east, it's more likely to be araneus diadematus.

they're extremely docile spiders.

2. Thanks for answering, I'm in the west.  I googled the araneus gemmoides/gemma and I think you're correct.  This one came out multiple nights in my backyard to build his web. 
    I have to watch where I walk at night or get a face full of web. :eek:   I guess I will let them be in peace...they can feast on all the insects out there. 

3. I just can't help but freak the fuck out if one crawls by. Especially when ripped. Although I bet most wont harm you if they arent threatened. 

4. #224 yurigadaisukida, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    female black widows can be aggressive if they have eggs

I've even had one charge at me.out of its nest

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. spiders are bros eating up all the annoying bugs like flies and mosquitoes

6. welcome!

7. I was terrified of spiders up untill around 2 months ago. If I saw one I would panic majorly, and there was NO way that I could get myself to do anything about it.
    I am now, unafraid. I have touched spiders, even picked up spiders. Sometimes I talk to spiders too, I suppose that makes me kind of cray cray, but who gives two fucks.. :)

In the summer, the spiders eat the other insects which is absolutely fantastic. Thank you Mr and Mrs Spider. 

8. #228 smokehound, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    Oh god, it's so awesome when sexy women treat them with respect.

[​IMG]

9. New species found!

#1- Smeringurus vachoni immanis

Male:
      [​IMG]
      Female:
      [​IMG]

A rare species, found only around rocky hillsides and canyons in the desert, with cobbled soil, and large boulders scattered about. They are a very close relative of smeringurus mesaensis (pictured below, compare the two)  These are lithophiles, and very good climbers.  They are not handle-able in any sense, being very defensive and their long tails give them excellent range whilst jabbing with their sting.

[​IMG]

Serradigitus subtilimanus

[​IMG]

Another lithophilous species, this one even rarer than S. vachoni immanis, and a single specimen is worth $50.00

they are small-medium scorpions, about 4-5cm in total length, but extremely fast and expert climbers.  Found in the same habitat as S. vachoni immanis.

Paravaejovis waeringi

[​IMG]

Small, fast, nervous, and quick to sting.  The venom is quite painful, akin to hitting your fingertip with a hammer, but subsides quickly.  Gotta love those thick powerful tails :D

10. nice.

Do you collect them?

I've often wanted to collect all yje different black widow varients I could.find

11. If I see spiders outside, I'm fine. I let them chill and do their thing, and if they come into range I'll even blow a little ganja smoke their way. No worries.

BUT LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL INDOOR SPIDERS: IF YOU COME INTO MY HOUSE AND I SEE YOU TRYING TO SCURRY UNDER MY BED I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD I WILL CAPTURE YOU, BURN YOU AT THE STAKE AND LEAVE YOUR CARCASS AS A WARNING TO YOUR EIGHT-LEGGED FREAKS OF RELATIVES. 

That is all.

12. ughh idk why i clicked this thread... spiders straight up creep me out like nothing else.

Spiders in my opinion are cool and unique, but if you happen to trespass into my crib, I will torture you like the guy in this post, but I i'll do much worse, or I might set you free in i'm high. ^

14. Yes, I do.  

AND I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD that your irrational fear isnt justification for breaking two forum rules with one post.

Quite frankly, that's pretty disturbing, kinda reminds me of Freddy krueger as a child torturing the hamster in his class.

Yeah, why?

Here's a little dose of reality-  The very same companies that lobby against cannabis legalization bombarded you with advertisement after advertisement, ingraining hate to scare you into purchasing pesticides.  This is basically identical to what Harold J. Anslinger did, except now instead of blacks and hispanics, spiders are the new scapegoat.  Congratulations, the fear of spiders is actually helping keep cannabis illegal.

15. I can't stand spiders! I don't mind little ones. It's mostly just how they look. Like the bland looking ones I don't mind but then there are just some freaky looking ones!

One day I woke up and there was this tiny little spider crawling across my bed, about a few feet from my face. I was still a little high so I was like, "look at this little dude just chillin... hey buddy!"

When I'm high spiders don't get to me as much. I'm more relaxed about it. 

It's kind of cool watching spiders when I'm high. I always pretend what they're doing or thinking.

Like, "Ima spider just chillin, doing spider things like eating bugs and shit... Oh look! A humans running away! ima follow dat dude and see what's up! Hey man where you going?! Wait for me dude!"

:laughing:

16. Found a spider not long ago in a garden on some purpleish/white flowers. Turns out it was a type of crab spider and it's abdomen was white with two purple stripes, pretty wicked :smoke:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Yep crab spiders are pretty neat.  I have trouble collecting them, though.  Been trying, people really want them.

18. You don't pin them to a canvas do you?

You keep them alive I hope :D

"what is a bunny of fish?" - Christopher Brown

19. Nope.