The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1. #201 invinciblejets, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    I think the spider I found is a golden orb weaver

Not her better what she looks like:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409854641.487598.jpg

I'll try to get a better one what will they eat? I wanna to hook him up not just piss him of and fill his web with worms:p

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

2. #202 yurigadaisukida, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    spiders will eat any insect that gets caught in their web as far as I know

Worms.don't often.climb.up into spider webs they aren't.ntural diet for spiders

Crickets and.flying.insects are best I think.

Moths and butterflies are probly the easiest tto feed then crickets

I've even seen a black widow eat a.scorpion that got stuck in the wweb

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #203 smokehound, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
    Quite a bounty of rare species were to be found on my journey to the imperial sand dunes, a large erg, or dune field near the borders of arizona and mexico.  many rare and interesting beetles, as well as rare scorpions.  I have the very first known image of a serradigitus species from this region:

[​IMG]

This is attractive little species has never been photographed before until now.  The genus Serradigitus is somewhat like Centruroides in behavior.  So many species of scorpions live here that it's easy to overlook something rare!

Next is Paruroctonus xanthus, rare, and often misidentified as smeringerus.  

[​IMG]

Paruroctonus arenicola (?)  Unknown paruroctonus species, probably quite rare.. 

[​IMG]

Smeringurus mesaensis- the Giant sand scorpion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are easily the most badass scorpions i've ever seen.  They are like ninja scorpions and they're extremely fast, they run around like camel spiders, destroying any poor creature unfortunate enough to be in their path..  Very handsome as well!  They were quite abundant, so I managed to collect over $300.00 worth of them :D

4. you sell them?

5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUvPOrmg1M

6. #206 loopster, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    Used to be terrified and got the heebee jeebees

But I am overcoming my fear with a general curiousity on why they look and do what they do
    I have tons of pictures about 80% of the spider species found in the mile high I would have to go to Colorado Springs to get more variety

So with no further a due I present to you a spotted orb weaver walking across the ground it's little bit bigger than a quarter dollar but it's not a half dollar size ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410309761.042513.jpg

7.  I went to the desert again lol.  This time i got some really cool species :D

First is Hadrurus arizonensis, a massive scorpion found in california and arizona, not easy to catch, either!

[​IMG]

She's around 6" in length, this is the largest scorpion in the USA.  

Next up, a huge solifugid (camel-spider) from Ocotillo wells, CA- an unincorporated community just outside the border of the Anza borrego state park.

[​IMG]

I lifted a rock and found this male solifugid- probably the same species as the female above:

[​IMG]

Another Hadrurus arizonensis devouring an unfortunate windscorpion that ran straight into its claws!

[​IMG]

Here's a massive female Aphonopelma iodius, she's enormous!

[​IMG]

The more I go, the more happy I get.  I needed this, as life has been stressful lately.  It's awesome to escape urban areas..  

8. They kinda freak me out, but I appreciate the shit out of this green lynx spider killin them nasty moths and little pests on my gorgeous platinum bubba
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411230818.718705.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411230906.224252.jpg
    Spiders and some frosty nugs hope y'all enjoy it as much as I am

Itty Bitty Canna Committee - "OUR CUP RUNNETH OVER"

9. you should make a thread about it.

10. looks like photobucket skrewed you over. They want mmoney now

11. Yep, this is the second time they pulled this bullshit, which infuriates me, because I was a member long before they ran this policy.

It's okay.. I'll just use imgur.  They wont delete my drawings of boobies.

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411513640.055685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. #214 yurigadaisukida, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    please teach me your ways

14. I've got 30-40 spiders spread around my apt, I let them chill 

If they get too big and start crawling all over tho I have to take them out (of the house, I don't kill them, nature has that covered)

I do go on mass exterminations before I have women over tho, for the most part

15. My house is new and on property where a honey bee and general purpose farm used to be (rural Tennessee).. There's spiders everywhere out here. I seriously bet someone could make some money out here doing SOMETHING involving spiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Well, it depends on the species.  If you've got lots of flowers, you've got lots of salticidae (jumping spiders), and definitely at least two phidippus species.

17. spiders are actually pretty cool. always thought the ear spider stories were pretty cool. they never bit or hurt the people they would "burrow" in, they'd just sit in there and do their thing. spiders need a home, too! and i love how in this picture the spider is just sitting there like "what the fuck is this thing doing in my home?" he looks scared! xD

ear spider.jpg

18. if a spider burrowed into my ear I'd.kill it.

I don't care if of just needed a home, that shit doesn't fly