The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1. For those of us of whom don't fear these animals, seeing people outright hate spiders for no good reason is depressing.

Spiders, as a whole are so docile, they try everything they can to avoid biting us.. They're fascinating creatures with advanced intelligence for arthropods, can learn, and some even work together!

Please give them a chance.. If only people could get over their fears and learn about them, they would find out how peaceful and interesting they can be!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Personally I don't mind them. But having a wife and 10 yr old girl causes me stress.

We moved into a condo that unfortunately had an issue with the patio door and wound up with an infestation. I would hear shrieks and would have to rush with the paper towel at the ready. One night my daughter screamed the evil spider scream and there were 50 baby ones crawling round the light standard. It was a good night for killing.

Had to call the condo corp to get an exterminator in. Got rid of the infestation but I still have to do my own killing. Best part is showing them the crushed carcasses.

For me the worst part is walking round and having a web stick to my face. Real hassle with a beard. Otherwise I appreciate their usefulness......Outdoors.

3. I love animals to death but bugs that can really mess you up....Im not down for.

Brown Recluses are no joke.....Ive seen what they can do to people......and If I see one I gotta kill it.

4. no mercy on spiders, sorry.

5. your dick explodes like a hot dog after a while i hear

6. The only spider any woman would ever show indifference towards killing.

7. see? Spiders are good. :D

Kinda weird to juxtapose a harmless species next to that message though, considering the actual spider that causes the priapism is phonutria, aka the Brazilian wandering spider.

8. Spiders kill and eat bedbugs, which is a plus for spiders, but a spider or two is probably not enough to eliminate a whole colony of them.  

9. I like spiders! They eat cockroaches..fuck cockroaches

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  10. I always save spiders when the chance offers itself up and toss them outside. One time there was a brown recluse in my house though...merked him.
    Wasps on the other hand are the devil and I murder them even when they're outside. FUCK YOU WASPS!

11. I love wasps :( we have huge colonies of paper wasps around my home. Every once in a while, they get stuck in the house.

They're not aggressive like yellowjackets, all they wanna do is hunt for caterpillars and chew on wood and dead grass. Would be welcome around an outdoor grow, actually. They are very good Hunters.

Some people actually keep colonies in a large cage. They make excellent captives and seem to recognize their keepers. If they see you as their food source, they'll be mellow around you.

Back to spiders though..

Did you know that even the dreaded recluse spiders generally don't cause necrotic lesions?

Many people keep those as pets as well, I personally find them attractive and interesting.

12. if i could get over the creepy crawliness i wouldnt mind any sort of animal

13. [​IMG]

Here's a spider I collected on a recent trip to the desert..

She's a Syspira tigrina or "Tiger Prowling-Spider"..  

Isn't she beautiful?  

She's pretty skittish, though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hahaha haters gonna hate!

Spiders are the homies!

15. During the summer my backyard gets infested with wolf spiders. They even form spider trains when they're too big to fit on the mother's back.. counted a train of about 70 once running across the porch. One by one, it was nuts. I think its because my dog chases away pretty much anything bigger than bugs, leaving nothing to really prey on them. So they just go nuts, and some of them come out with odd patterns. I found one that looked like a normal wolf spider but had an ass end like this one, just not as vivid. I think they might be inbreeding when they take over the yard, but I'm not sure.

Gorgeous looking spider though. What desert were you exploring?

16. It's a species closely related to yellow sac spiders, in the family miturgidae.  

Looks and behaves like a wolf spider, but very unrelated.

She was collected south of joshuatree national park, in desert hot springs, a city in the coachella valley, which is the northernmost portion of the sonoran desert.

17. Love spiders, even the brown recluse because it only attacks if in danger plus I live in canada so no worries. I get really upset if someone kills one. Same with ants, they all have a purpose here.

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 4 using Tapatalk

18. I have no problem with ants either. Sadly while replacing a windshield on one of our cars today I found a nest of ants under the plastic molding of the windshield. I rained death upon them all with insect killer. May they RIP

19. I generally love ants, but there are a few species i just dont tolerate..  

monomorium pharaonis is one species of ant I do not ever want to see in my home, for a few years we saw a vast reduction in pharaoh ant populations, then all of a sudden they came back, and I'm very paranoid they'll get into my tarantula enclosures.

We've had serious problems with this species in the past, they're known to transmit disease thanks to their fondness of corpses and spoiled meat. They can also nest anywhere, unlike most ants, and they treat any member of their species as their own.

We do have a native Monomorium species here called the "little-black-ant", which is nowhere near as bad, and prefers to live outdoors, but does venture indoors during the day to raid sugar, unlike M. pharaonis, which prefers meats and fats.

I lost a few pets to Pharaoh ants, and they're difficult to control once established.