My 1St Outdoor Grow, Afghani

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Shadowz, May 24, 2014.

1. This is the 1st time I've tried growing outdoors, I've always been too paranoid to try it but this year I said fuck it and went for it.  :p

I'm only growing 2 plants, both are pure old school Afghani. I have one growing next to one creek and the other about a half mile away along another, I figure if one gets found the other one will be safe.

I don't have time (or gas $$) to check on them all the time so I've set them up right next to the water. I figure I should be able to go up about once a month and see how their doing.

The first one (twin #1 in my indoor grow journal)

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell scale from the pic but the mound is about a foot tall, and the soil goes down another foot, there's probably 5-6 gallons of soil there all together. From the size of the creek I'm going to assume that it almost dries up in the summer, but the presence of swamp grass (I don't know it's proper name..lol) tells me that there's good year round water there.

Another shot standing back a bit.

[​IMG]

#2 is located a bit further from the creek but it's still only about a foot down to the water table.

[​IMG]

Downstream shot.

[​IMG]

I plan on going back in a couple of weeks and putting chicken wire around them and see how their doing. I'm not to worried about deer, both spots are in areas that the deer haven't been able to get into for various reasons.

I know I won't get a ton from these two, but between them and my indoor grow I should have plenty for my needs for quite a while.

2. I finally got a chance to go check on these two, it's been 3 weeks since I left them and I wasn't sure what to expect. This is my first outdoor grow so I have no clue how fast they'll grow or how big they'll get.

And remember, I planted these in locations where I won't have to worry about watering them or checking up on them all the time. And from the looks of both of them they definitely now have roots deep enough to tap into the local ground water.

So here's #1, about 16-18 inches tall now.

[​IMG]

Looking good!!

[​IMG]

Hidden nicely.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Just a quick update..

Both of them are about 2ft tall now, #2 has some strange curling on some of the leaves but other then that they both look good. I don't know when I'll be able to check up on them again so I expect some big changes between now and then....

So on to the pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. If you keep on that track you will save yourself some money. But never expected much off your first grow. But once you start growing you'll never stop. Now you will research the hell out of it and get really good and grow what you want. It may take you time to get a way to grow you like.

5. CALCIUM (Ca) Lack of calcium in the soil results in the soil becoming too acid. This leads to Mg or Fe deficiency or very slow stunted growth. Treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until condition improves. 

SULFER (S) Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves. 

MAGNESIUM (Mg) Lower leaves yellow and may even turn white while veins remain dark green. Blades die and curl upward.

IRON (Fe) Leaves on growing shoots turn pale and veins remain dark green. pH imbalances make iron insoluble. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Fe or rusty water. 

MANGANESE (Mn) Necrotic and yellow spots form on top leaves. Mn deficiency occurs when large amounts of Mg are present in the soil. Foliar feed with any chemical fertilizer containing Mn. 

BORON (B) Growing shoots turn grey or die. Growing shoots appear burnt. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water. 

MOLYBDENUM (Mb) Yellowing of middle leaves. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Mb. 

ZINC (Zn) White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

6. Plants might be surviving so far but you have issues. Wait until the pest that them over. In order to get anything usable off the plants they need tended to weekly at a minimum. Before too long there will be caterpillar and mite damage a long with animal damage. Especially come fall when most everything else is dying.

Thanks, I'm not expecting a ton, I know better then that. I'm just having fun doing something I've always wanted to do (outdoor grow)

And I already have next years grow planned....   :D

It's weed, not fine china, it'll do just fine without me hovering over like some over protective soccer mom...

But yes I can see that it'll need some nutes and other attention the next time I visit, and I do plan on doing that. But when you consider it takes me half a day to drive there, hike into the spot they're growing and get home, then you'll see why multiple visits a week just isn't a viable option.

I'm not growing to sell, I just want to add to my stash without relying on someone else (and spending all that $$)

I'm not a daily smoker, so if I can pull a pound of good bud between the two of them I'll have more then I need, and from everything I've read I should be able to do that and more......

9. Next time you plant dont drive so far away that it feels impossible to get to them.. your growing no more the 5-6 plants a year and your only doing 2 plants. Thats a hole lot more effort then you need to put into 2 plants IMO.

Next time go to the secondary road thats closest to you and look for clearings. I like the ones thats been cut about 5 years before and its starting to get some small saplings growing. Once you find a suitable place the night before hide all your gear into the woods and then the next morning go in early. Also think about your car. Where can you put it to hide it.. where I live I like to bike to my spot.
    Maybe you theres a river or somewhere you can make it look like your fishing. You just need a reason to be there. The other way is to go back inyo logging roads with the same clearing and plant in theres. So now you know how I do it.

10. Oh trust me, I tried finding something closer. Everything nearby is either developed private property, or it belongs to the lumber company's, and they have gates on every road they can get away with. I've been on the lookout for over a year trying to find the right spot, with water, and where I can park and no one can see my rig.

I'm still constantly searching for a new spot when I'm out and about, I already know what I want to plant next year and I'd love to find someplace I could visit once a week...

11. Well I managed to get up to the plants this weekend, OldPork suggested bat guano to help #2 so I gave them both a dose and some Fox farm grow nutes.

#1 is looking GREAT, except.... I think she may be a he. :(  I'm hoping I'm wrong, I'm hoping that what I'm seeing is just to small to be sure. I won't be able to go back for a couple of weeks so I guess I'll know for sure then. Other then that it's looks really healthy.

#2 is looking the same as last week, just a bit taller. They're both about 3ft tall now. I also fimed #2 on the previous trip and it's already responding nicely.

So on to the pics.

Boy or ? Only two pic's came out half way clear so it's all I have to go by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Well #1 is indeed a boy. :angry:  I'll let him live long enough to collect some pollen then down he comes.

It's to bad cuz he's looking great. No bug damage and like I suspected, the deer won't come anywhere near the razor grass. I'll definitely be using this spot again next year.

#2 is also looking great but there's still no sign of sex.

At the very least I've shown that in the right location, you can grow without having to check up on them all the time. ;)

So on to the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My biggest surprise today was this little guy, I never would have expected this little creek to have crawfish in it.

[​IMG]

And #2, still hoping for a girl....
    She's about 5ft tall now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]