Dwc Northern Lights Auto 400 Watt Grow Journal (First Grow)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Lismelol, May 23, 2014.

1. Hi guys!!!!I'm excited to share my first grow with you guys!

Seeds:
    Let's get down to to business 🙌
    I have two northern light autoflower seeds I bought from bonza seeds......their seeds take FOREVER to reach my house about 3 weeks. I've also have one bagseed I've planted that hasn't sprouted.

Setup:
    I will be growing in dwc with rockwool. With a 400 watt mph abs hps bulbs. I have cheap little tent. With carbon filters. I'll upload pics when I get off work of setup.

Nutrients:
    I'll be using the general hydroponics flora series 3 bottles for the grow. I'm also considering Lucas formula feeding schedule. Im not sure I need more input on this!

Now I've planted the 3 seeds in rockwool with a oh of around 6.9

I'm currently on day 3 from planting the seeds
    2 of the northern lights have sprouted And the bag seed has not.

I'm concerned with one of the NL is stretching to much is this a problem?idk since its auto.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haha true very good point. I'm wondering if I should go ahead in put them in the system tomorrow.

3. Be careful not to keep your rockwool to wet I switched away from rockwool because I had a problem finding a happy medium with moistness of the rockwool it was either to dry or to wet for good root growth. Listen to gold he is an awesome helper and know what he is talking about has helped me a bunch:D also I use the Lucas formula but with gh flora Nova series and it works good I just give them a little less than what Lucas calls for.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Like fasthonda said the lucas formula works well. I never worked my way up to full strength. I think my max ppm was 900 throughout the entire grow! Just start small for nutes and gradually work your way up. I like increasing my ppm every few days, but in very small increments about 30-50ppm. I do it this way because I find if you go over that perfect ppm, your plant will drink more water than nutes instead of getting nute burn. You can notice this by testing your ppm daily. If it's rising, it's a bit to high!

5. Thanks blazingserpentd and fasthonda for the inputs!!!! 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌 I kind of like rockwool because im having a tendency to want to water every day but just dunking em in the water every 1 or 2 days has kept them moist.
    What ppm should my tap water be ? Its at like 400 right now.

Here are some pictures of the tent about to translate the girls today hopefully. It is basically day 4 since they been in the rockwool from seeds.

6. Here is the tent area guys! Just need to hook up my carbon filter and airpumps

Attached Files:

7. Also should I look into intake and outake fans for the tent ? Iam going to get some fan in there for air flow when they are of proper age.

8. Transplanting them now! Oh if possible if an admin can move this to the grow journal section!!!

Attached Files:

9. #10 Da-Lu, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    Are you going to drip feed or just run straight up dwc? If you drip feed I found with rockwool 30 mins on 3-4 hours off during the light cycle works well. I also did one 30 min watering during the dark cycle. You will find what works best for you by adjusting it to the plants needs.

As for your intake/outtake question.

What I did is mount my fan/carbon filter inside the tent up top (tent comes with straps for this) than run ducting so the air blows through your hood and out the other side. This will create a vacuum effect of the tent. You can than open a side vent and tons of fresh air will be pulled in.

10. I'm using straight up dwc.What do you mean by a 30 minute watering?

My ppm for the tap water is 443
    My pH is 6.9

Attached Files:

11. Ignore the watering times than. I top feed with my dwc using a drip system.

12. I use dwc and I top water about once to twice a day around the outside of the pot so the rockwool doesnt get wet but the hydroton does. I do this until I have a few roots in the water I also keep my water at the bottom of my net pot until roots come out then I drop water level about an inch.also I have never made it to full strength Lucas formula either I go by the moto less is more it is seems to work better then more and burning them up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Very interested to see how your plants come out. I also have bonza seed NL autos that I started a little over a week ago.

I'm doing a DWC setup in a 18 gal Rubbermaid. 4 NL autos with a 5th random freebie seed thrown in from bonza. Right now the setup is in a closet under a 600 mh light with full air cooled hood ducted out a window. I have a 60x60x80inch grow tent on order....should be here in a couple days

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401120117.135393.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401120133.618057.jpg

Those pics were after 5 days from germination. I checked on them again yesterday and they are all a few inches tall now with leaves coming off each one. Will have to take more pics tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes OP this is my first grow so I'd like to see how you make out since we have similar grows

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Nice setup yes we should compare our grows! Aren't you worried about all your roots getting tangled up in there ? Here are some pics of today

Attached Files:

15. Your plants look good! I can't wait to get off work and go check mine out. Lol.

I'm not to concerned with root tangle only because I don't plan on moving them from the Rubbermaid they are in now. Once they are setup in the grow tent they should have plenty of room to grow so I shouldn't have to move them at all I hope. Next grow I'm going to use single 5 gallon buckets for each plant instead and use a Rubbermaid tote for a resi

Can't wait till the tent comes in. Will clean up the room and make it a lot neater of a setup.

Have you started using any nutes yet? I've read it's best to hold off for the first week or two but I went ahead and put in 2 tablespoons worth. Didn't want to put much but figured a little couldn't hurt.

16. No I haven't fed them. Nutes yet I doubt their roots have even left their rockwool yet lol

17. Lol true. How do you like the rockwol? I went with rapid rooters. It was a toss up between the two but because I can't check my plants everyday (most of the time it's every day but sometimes it's every other) I went with the rapid rooters since I didn't rear much about them staying too moist.

18. I like rockwol it does keep its moisture extremely well....this helps my anxiety of them drying out. I actually had these seeds dry out on me during the paper towel germination so im glad to see these sprout !!

19. Funny you say that because I had one of my net pots dry out on my because I turned off the dripper to that pot by mistake when I was adjusting the flow rate to each pot. Had to get the flow just right so it would keep everything moist but not drown it...somehow I missed one and it was left turned off. Came back the next day to a crusty rapid rooter. Took the RR out and soaked it in a cup of water quick and put it back in the net pot. Didn't seem to affect the seed at all!