Time Traveling Possible?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by semprfidelis, May 22, 2014.

1. #21 PeterParker, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014

It's a common misconception, but the big bang is not theorized to have happened at a "point".

It's difficult to explain but because the universe is all that is measurable there isn't something "outside" the universe which we can measure and compare to observations in the universe ....it's our fish bowl. So without an absolute reference point in spacetime (all of the universe) there really is no "center" per say. There's a second part below addressing the obvious retort "determine center via the edges".

The result is no matter the size of the observable universe, there is no center. The inverse is also true, there are no "edges". Weird right?  

I'd guess we can picture how those "wormholes" would work, a tube / tunnel of sorts that goes from one point in spacetime to another point, and the distance / time going through the wormhole is nill, instant travel.

Imagine that the "edge" of the universe just leads to the opposite side of the universe...same as the "wormhole" we imagined could do. It's best just to accept that geometry can work in this way, better yet is to learn Special Relativity. Then you'll be a geometry master! and will be able to "See" how this could be. Plus it'll impress chicks.

Now there is a somewhat well known thing called CMBR for short, cosmic microwave background radiation for impressing chicks :)
    less important is it helps people support the Big Bang Theory, should read up on it. It even is evidence for a specific shape of the universe.

Going off into an area I have not read about, I believe the shape is a torus (donut). Which funny enough literally has no center :)   It also become a bit easier to picture how there are no edges.

If we idealize our self in the dough part of the donut, and we are traveling in a straight line, surely at some point we either punch through the edge of the dough and reach the world outside....or as is the case with the geometry of the universe, as we approach the edge forward has a "new direction" (note we are using the outside world as our reference frame here whether you aware of it or not...hopefully you are) instead of going through the edge of the dough the geometry "guides" our straight line away.

In our idealized donut scenario from the "outside" we see and would measure that "straight line" path we took as a curve. But from our point of view from inside the donut dough it is perfectly straight, for ALL THINGS along that path are equally curved, including our "straight" rulers!  Really its just simple geometry :rollie-eyes:

mmmmmm......universal donut....aauugghh  ahahah      But for real, that circle line around the donut...looks and IS straight from inside the donut.
    [​IMG]

The funniest part of your post is where you say  "..........but still, it technically would work."  

fuck did I laugh. my post is very general, layman terminology and really is common knowledge for those interested in astronomy & physics. Your's read in a way that highlights your level of understanding, and as merely someone who is interested in this stuff in a VERY non-technical way, I couldn't bare to not let in on some common knowledge :)

Oh and yes we are time traveling! Shoot, to some observers we are "time traveling" so slowly they can't even see us!!   Oh and with SR you can say really weird things which are completely and physically accurate!

a reminder, I am specifically speaking about the big bang theory and how it theorizes no center / edges
    I reiterate my point because......within the CMBR, there are temperature differences (think entropy) that gives a direction that correlates with time. Time pass & entropy increases.  <- and that's a very big period! it's just a correlation, that exists for obvious reasons, but does not even remotely suggest a cause/effect relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  2. never.fun to dream.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

3. so... With that being said...then w could inject a liquid conductor from switch to light and introduce a microchip,that would cling to the current and travel through time at light speed.. Correct?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

4. That's pretty much it! obviously the components MUST be installed in a DMC Delorean.

[​IMG]

5. lol so in turn length doesn't exist either I suppose. Just something we invented to facilitate our understanding. 

My watch tells me time absolutely exists, it measures it all the.....time.

Time and length are just two pieces of the same pie, spacetime.

one of the worst arguments in a "science thread" ever...."It is impossible to travel in time, because time does not exist."

oh I see, makes sense to me! thanks for the knowledge lol

but have you considered why is time only moving forward? 

this is really is the only thing that is not cyclical in nature... or is it?  :smoke:

7. #27 PeterParker, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    Have you considered that I possibly don't believe that time is only moving forward. In fact I believe time doesn't "move" at all.

Since it's fair to presume you do, could you perhaps tell me where time is headed....something tells me this will turn into poetry.... (i'm gunna give you a huge dose of insight....time is part of the distance between "things". There is space between these things, but also time. so peeps call it spacetime. the distance between things can be, in all honesty are either length, time or a combination of the two. It all depends on the comparative motion when measuring) so in common units the ratio is roughly 300,000 km for every second, noted as c in math physics. Take a moment to imagine just how fast that is. In just one second the length of coast to coast USA seventy times!

There is nothing in the universe that is absolutely "cyclical", such things are called "perfect machines" and don't exist. Energy "degrades" no two ways about it. An other way to put it is nothing reverses to exact original condition.

While I agree things like the orbit of planets is more less cyclical, they and all things physical are not truly cyclical, energy degrades.

Really need to read about entropy. This is what people are talking about when referring to "time has a direction". Entropy does have a direction, and as I already said energy degrades.

Note that this isn't uncommon knowledge. Most people know this about time and entropy (but often haven't considered what it means about how time should be interpreted). Shit even the wikipedia page on Entropy; has (Arrow of Time) right in the title lol    read just a few words then opine....be a vast improvement

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mathmatically possible. Logically rediculous. One day this myth will be seen for what it is. Convenient nonsence.

hm... a lot of random information here.

maybe my point wasn't simple...

so let's take distance (in our time/space 3d world)... in space i can go from point a to point b and vice versa from b to a.
    as you say " time is part of the distance between "things"  " .. however in time i cannot go backwards. i can only go from a to b in one direction.
    thus "moving forward" .. i wasn't trying to suggest you should believe in time movement or in time in general.

10. #30 PeterParker, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

Actually it's all connected.

You raised your "point" with two questions, maybe more likely you were too vague instead of too complicated.

It's called a false premise; you presume direction has meaning in time. Physics tells us it doesn't.

I addressed your issue with time and with the concept of cyclical. Just two things there, and you brought them up.

Your comment just adds confusion.  

There is NO Direction with time. What on earth do you mean you go from point a-b in time but can't go back?  are "a" and "b" locations?

Time just continues, but it isn't going anywhere; things are. Space just continues, but it isn't going anywhere; things are.

Time is the "allowance" to move in space, space is the "allowance" to move in time; one gives meaning for the other; they are equal but opposite. It's called spacetime and it's isotropic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Time is a measurement of light, so if we can move through photons then we can achieve time travel. Hopefully some day it'll be possible. There are so many things I'd say to myself in past!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. I don't believe it exists, if it did, some wealthy military industrialist would of went back and conquered all of earth.