Tallglassesofmilks Fox Farm And Cfl Closet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tallglassesofmilk, May 22, 2014.

1. I wish we could fix the heat issue but until I start making something out of this I kinda gotta stop spending. I want to get some panda film and an inline fan and some ducting, some zipper... Make a nice grow box out of it.

2. Quick question, so all your plants died? Only survivor is the gsc?  :eek: Did you find out the reasons for this? Maybe you can give us newbies a little advice on what NOT to do  :smoke:

3. I hear ya, heat is thrashing everybody.

It will definitely help to draw the air through the hood vent, and put a circulating fan over the canopy.

1/3 of the circulating fan breeze should be aimed at the tops of the plants and 2/3 hitting between the canopy and the light.

Of course, the grow area will only get as cool as slightly higher than the ambient air temp.

Humm, I can't remember... do you have a hood?  If not, draw the out air from the top of the grow area for max cooling.

Nothing more.  lol. 

4. #1.Don't over water your plants. #2.Don't buy a premixed soil that you know nothing about. #3.Don't use plastic pots.

If you're just starting out, don't buy ocean forest soil and expect magic to happen. If you're using soil, mix your own and make it full enough to run through the whole veg, then transplant into something mixed with less nitrogen and more of what a flowering plant needs.

Log every time you water a plant in a journal or something on your phone or anywhere... No joke. I definitely had a hard time learning how to water my soil. I moved to a coco mix that dries in around 40 hours and might just move to all coco and perlite because of the aeration (speed of growth goes up).

And last but not least, give your plants enough oxygen to their roots. Either use all coco (I still wouldn't use a black plastic pot) and be careful or use a smart pot (fabric pots can be found anywhere NOT labelled smart pot for $10 each). Smart pots dry better and you won't have a plant drooping from lack of oxygen.

Hope this helps. :)

5. I got a hood but took it right back... Dude at the shop wanted 85 just for a hood... No fan no bulb... Lol no hood just a old school reflector. There's an 8 inch fan (high cfm) in the back by the open door so it can push the air through the other side where the other door is open. It has them moving and wiggling. I'll get another fan to blow the air out soon.

6. you should be able to water coco all you want without worrying about overwatering too :)

7. Haha yeah I mean cannabis likes a dry period supposedly... So I'm being as vigilant as possible with keeping it from drooping from lack of water. No problems yet. Buuut if you say I should keep it wet, maybe I have some reading to do?

8. it's not so much a dry period that cannabis likes/needs. It needs oxygen to the roots..and it need water. Look at how hydro grows plants superfast...there's no drying period at all. Coco can remain wet if/because it's coarse enough to hold air and water. If I water my plant and then, 5 minutes later, immediately water again, all the water will just run through the pot.

H3ad explained it best at IC...when you do a good soaking watering, you're not only refreshing the water in the coco...you're also refreshing all the air in the coco too. When you water it displaces all that air and the coco 'sucks' in fresh air as the water drains.

Soil is a whole nother story though...overrwatering will put too much water into the soil and there's no room for air..this suffocates the plant. I know some dudes mix alot of stuff in their soil to lighten it up so that doesn't happen, but then their not growing in soil any more..it becomes more of a soil based mix. There's nothing wrong with soil...I just prefer the advantages coco give me. I have several plants...and rather then checking which ones need water...I just water em all, everyday. It saves me alot of time and work.

Sorry if I type so much...It's just really important for people to understand the underlying concepts behind why we do things as growers. For instance..I'm not saying water your coco everyday...I'm saying it's possible to do so :)    There's alot of rules of thumb about growing...all those rules of thumb are based on important aspects of growing. Those rules of thumb can get repeated over and over until people start to misunderstand the original concept.... I guess what I'm saying is - it's 100 times more important to figure out the 'why' rather then the 'how'. Once you know the 'why' everything becomes easy...stress starts to go away (in you and your plants)and you're left with nothing but big stinky jars of weed. The only way to get there is with relentless studying, reading, and hard work. Don't worry though I'm here to help! :D  sorry didn't mean to write a lecture there. I just fuckin love growing and I could type/talk for hours....my only release for that is online with all you cool dudes.

9. Naw feel free any time. I need the info... And like you said.. I need to know why not how. Ill be telling people this over and over til I die... "I should have started in coco." If I never started growing at all tho, that would be the real problem lol. Now my wife and I are looking at the finances and our small place thinking hmm... What can we move to make a nice big 4x8 space and how can we get a few more lights. Before this, my best bet was my office job.

10. lol I started in a gutted pc with a 24w cfl and no fans. god I wish I had a pic of that.

11. Haha yeah I wish you did too. I started with 2700k IKEA brand 13 watt bulbs. 2 of them. Then got ballsy and bought a pack of 23 watt equivalent bulbs lol.

12. I really shouldn't leave out the fact that instead of reflectors, I used paper plates taped into more of a cone, coved in foil. Lmao.

13. Took off some leaves that were blocking buds... And a pic of a super happy clone.

Attached Files:

14. Haha she's loving the coco and constant light. I'll probly veg that one a bit less since I know how much it stretches now.

15. My dear lord. If I look at or smell this girl scout any more I might cut it down RIGHT now and smoke it! What a great strain.

16. damn I wish I had access to awesome strains! lucky.

17. #180 tallglassesofmilk, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    haha well I mean grab some seeds? What's the wait? This stuff I have is similar to Cali connection seeds gsc.
    I'll do my best. I might have to watch return of the Jedi or something... Focus I shall.