Best Budgetless Portable/pen Vape For Dry Herb/flowers

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Dase420, May 22, 2014.

1. What's up fellow stoners!

So after much deliberation, I have decided to purchase a portable/pen vape for dry herb/flowers.
    I own an Arizer Extreme Q and enjoy the whip (not so much the balloons as the hit is a little weak imo) but mostly stick to my 3ft glass bong with the occasional vape, pipe, joint or blunt thrown in..
    I'm a daily smoker, from wake n bake til smoke n sleep, so I don't want to have to clean the vape after every single hit.
    Size isn't a huge factor, as long as we don't push the limits of portability too far.. haha
    Cost doesn't bother me because as they say, you get what you pay for.

So in everyone's opinion, what is THE BEST portable/pen vape for my needs and why?

Looking forward to reading the different perspectives!

Wow, so you don't have a budget and want to get the most expensive portable out there? While I do agree that you do in fact, get what you pay for, thats not always true when it comes to vapes. Given that you can get some that are pretty expensive and will get the job done and will serve you well for years to come, there are some out there that are reasonably priced, made in the US, and have a decent warranty on them, that imho, outshine the more expensive high tech looking counterparts.

That being said, if you're looking to drop $200 or more for a portable vape, look at the Arizer Solo, Firefly, or Pax. The Solo is really popular on here, and so is the Pax. Firefly is starting to gain some popularity on here but it has a slight learning curve. The Pax is completely conduction based, while the Firefly and Solo are convection based. Personally I would go with the Solo of Firefly because their cleaning requirement is relatively minimal compared to the Pax which needs to be cleaned after each use.

All 3 of those vapes will get the job done for you and nicely. Firefly probably has the best flavor out of all of them, but I do know that the Solo has great flavor as well. You can't really go wrong if you picked a Solo or a Firefly. I would avoid the Pax, but it does have a nice form factor.

If you're looking for something that costs less and doesn't look nearly as high tech, but gets the job done as good as those $200 + units, look at the Magic Flight Launch Box, or the Firewood Vape. The MFLB costs about $80-$100 depending on where you get it from. It has tons of support from the community as well as the manufacturer. They give it a lifetime warranty so you can basically get it replaced given you don't intentionally destroy it. Its very portable, looks unique, and is extremely stealthy since you hit it on demand. It has a steep learning curve on how to use it but if you're willing to learn, it will make you happy happy happy. It's made of wood so it doesn't look all high tech, but then again thats what I love about the MFLB.

The Firewood is a vape I'm looking to get myself really soon. It too is made of wood and looks like a dugout. It is a combo, conduction/convection oven and from what I've read of the reviews and seen in videos it gets the job done as well. You can hit this on demand too, as you hit the button each time you want a hit. There's a learning curve with this as well.

Both the Firewood and MFLB cost between $80 - $150 depending on the type of wood you get and accessories. I love those 2 vapes because they're made in the USA and made by people in our community. 

But theres a starting point for you....

3. I'd say Arizer Solo, you don't have to keep up on cleaning for good operation, it fits in most men pockets (I don't want to assume you are a man! Lol), good taste and good battery life. I have 2 and have tried 3 different M1A's.

4. If you got the money go ascent or firefly. Imo they are simply better vapes than the solo or pax.

I've heard you have to brush the air path every so often with the FF, I don't know about maintenance with the Ascent. I'd assume minimal but I don't know how wide the glass air path is.

6. Still the firefly reigns supreme simply because of the satisfying hits it provides that are better than just about any other portable on the market. Its not as bad as the pax though when it comes to cleaning.

The ascent air path is about as wide as the hammer stem it seems. Not wide but not to narrow that it creates problems IME. Although I do think it could clog up but that would be with months and months of heavy daily usuage and no portable of mine sees usage like that.

7. Did I ever say that I wanted the most expensive one available? No, I said budget isn't a factor in my decision, so no need to be a stooge about it.

The solo is a bit bulky for me personally, I'd like to have something that is a little more portable and discrete. The concern I have with the Firefly is the battery life, I've heard it only lasts two bowls worth before needing to be recharged?

Not interested in the pax as I'd prefer a convection based vape.

First, let me start by saying that I am a man haha! My issue with the Solo is it's bulkiness, it's just a little larger and more awkward than I'd like a portable to be..

I looked at the Ascent, but also read that it needs cleaning after every session which is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

How have you found the battery life of your Firefly?

I read that after a session of hash and then being left to cool, some parts completely jammed up on an Ascent..

8. Ive never done hash with my ascent but I havent found it clogged to much. My portables dont get heavy usage so that may be why but I havent noticed any clogging yet.

9. #9 hammerhead777, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    The solo isn't really bulky. I just put it in my jacket's inside pocket and don't even feel it and for the flavour, amount of vapour, control over temperature, great battery and usability, the size doesn't hurt. It can go without cleaning for months and it will still function properly. You can easily use it with a bong for massive hits, you can use it with a whip and the vapour reaches your lungs at a low temperature. 

As for the comparison between the Solo, Pax, Firefly, etc...I don't really have anything to say because I only own the Solo, but at this point, it is like comparing Mercedes, Audi and BMW. They are premium vaporizers and will do a great job.

10. #10 ren.dnb, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014

Good luck to ya then.... glad I was able to make a post that would get you to be more specific.... Considering I tried to steer you in the direction of a not so expensive convection vape that does the job of a $300 vape. But you couldn't get past my friendship with Larry, Moe, and Curly....

11. Has anyone said the Ascent yet? It's a nice size. Has anyone said Hammer vaporizer yet? That one is ran by butane, and more on demand than other vaporizers.

My Ascent never needed cleaning after every session.

You must be thinking of the Pax.

14. I am looking for some insight on my atmos rx. Doesn't ever seem to heat enough after the first few uses. I clean and fully charge. Pack lightly. Is it user error? Suggestions?

Sent from my Hyperdriven KK beast....

15. The solo is bulky. Its like a red bull can. Fits better in cargo shorts or jackets but jeans its obvious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Ah ok, mine would get quite a bit of usage as I am a heavy daily toker.

What about when you don't have a jacket pocket, can it be concealed inconspicuously in say, pant pockets?

I wasn't trying to be specific with my original post, in fact, the only prerequisite that I have (which admittedly I did forget to mention) is that I do not want a butane powered vape. If you want to get into it, your post was barely helpful at all. In fact, it was more so rude and condescending as you were trying to push your beliefs upon me, rather than offer a different solution, of which I hadn't even asked for! (You wouldn't happen to be a Christian by any chance would you? haha). You also made an assumption that I was just looking for the most expensive product available and you were wrong there also. So all in all, you have been the least helpful and done nothing but be a keyboard warrior really. Now f*** off and have a nice day.

I've read that the Ascent is a nightmare for cleaning if you're a heavy toker or if you use it with hash?
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I don't want a butane powered vape.

How big are your sessions though? You may not be as heavy a toker as others.

And that's the exact reason why I won't be going for the Solo haha.

17. Any opinions on the Inhalater INH05 vape?

18. #18 POTatato Head, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    If I may ask where did you read the ascent requires a lot of heating? Im just curious because it seems odd to me.

Idk how I feel about the inhalater products right now. I tried one of the old ones a while ago and it was ok but I would surely say they are worth more looking in to. It seems like they fixed a lot of the problems people had with the older inhalater models with the 05

19. Not a lot of heating, a lot of "cleaning" and I read it on a review somewhere, cant remember which one now though..

Yeah I read that the Inhalater XP had quite a few downsides.. But as you said, I've also read that they've rectified the majority (if not all?) of the problems in the 05. Definitely a contender at this point I think!

20. These are what I have used and recommend for portable vapes that do not combust.

Vapormax by Flowermate

Titan-I

Pax