Texas: Pot Brownies - Teen With No Criminal Record, Faces Life In Prison

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by MrBehr, May 20, 2014.

1. Jacob Lavorno is a 19-year-old Texas youth who is charged with a crime that even under tough anti-drug laws in that state would normally be a misdemeanor. But a bizarre and seemingly nonsensical technicality turns his violation from a minor offense to a first-degree felony that carries a maximum life sentence - making what Jacob Lavorno did in the eyes of Texas law a crime as serious as murder.

Here's what Jacob Lavorno, an otherwise ordinary teen from Round Rock, Texas, who has no previous criminal record, did to warrant this possible punishment.

He baked some pot brownies.

But here's the mind-boggling catch that could put this 19-year-old in jail for life, or at the very least, five years. He used a recipe that called for hashish oil in the brownies. For some reason, under Texas state law, that one step allows the state to measure not only the weight of the drugs, but the weight of the entire brownie or batch of brownies.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1258050/pot-brownies-jacob-lavorno/#wSdwJiTUIFlhTZdO.99

2. Glad I don't live in Texas. Sucks for the kid though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Huff Post. More progressive scare tactics.

4. I can't beleive that. Just more proof that Texas will be one of the last states to legalize. If Florida actually makes MMJ a law, this will have a whole effect on the south completely. Lets pray for Florida, people!

5. #5 Big_Daddy`, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
    Yet a 16 year old got 10 years probation for killing 4 people while driving a car drunk a few months back, just because his family had money.. I unfortunately live Texas, same county as where this guy got busted.. the drug laws here are fucked.

6. Texas and FL could pass laws as completely worthless as they just did here. "Legalization" takes on many forms.
    The laws being passed now are worthless, so don't think TX or FL won't pass their own. In fact, I'd suspect the seemingly worst states will suddenly start passing their own laws like its going out of style. Our state seemed gridlocked politically on the issue and lo and behold, they got their horrible laws passed here anyway.

Florida's ammendment 2 medical marijuana bill is good..they will be voting on it in November

8. Yeah, see, it's gotten so bad, I can predict the language of the proposed laws to know what direction it will take things. Here it is for you from that article:
    High CBD strains. Limited access and conditions. Same variation on a theme we just got up here that really will not help many at all.
    I'd really caution an agricultural state like FL in taking on mmj grows with the Fed law still up in the air. Feds could seize large plots of land under such a move. Any time you can fell two birds with one stone, you do it.

9. #9 lFourTwenty, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014

Amendment 2 isn't CBD only

http://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Right_to_Medical_Marijuana_Initiative,_Amendment_2_(2014)
    http://www.ocala.com/article/20140518/OPINION/140519736

The CBD bill already passed..it will be on the ballot in November to fully legalize medical marijuana in Florida, just like California's medical marijuana.

10. I live near the kid and I think he made the brownies to help his dad with a medical condition..

11. Fuck Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. wouldn't that be some shit, typical result of trying to help someone with pain or something . Lock them up!

13. How ya figure that a CBD only bill will pass first, followed by a whole plant cannabis bill? CA has no CBD only provisions that I am aware of at this time. The link above doesn't allow for any possession nor cultivation of whole-plant cannabis, as I would expect with all of these bills being advanced in the states.

14. #14 Juan Hitter Quitter, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    assbackwards texas...right up there with florida when it comes to fucking morons

15. #15 lFourTwenty, May 25, 2014

Florida votes on legalizing medical marijuana in November. (Amendment 2)

Sorry if it doesn't sit right with you  :smoke:

Here's a right wing video made to oppose the amendment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKS37A_S0MM

16. Yes, I read the previous link you provided and its following the same path as was just approved in our state which is special interest crud.
    If people would actually be helped by the laws being proposed, they would have my full support. Well, the laws are not written in such a manner, so no, I cannot support this.

It's not CBD only so what don't you support about it?

18. Wow, what the hell!?

That is horse shit.

19. Here are your own words, which were backed up by the link you provided:

So color me confused as to what you're getting at? Limited strains and limited producers is where its all headed. Its the only way it can all be patented and profited from, and that of course is their goal.

20. #20 lFourTwenty, May 25, 2014

I said the CBD BILL has already passed..it's old news. The CBD BILL is different from AMENDMENT 2, which will be voted on in November.

So yes you are very confused I would say. 

Edit: You don't have to take my words for it..read about it yourself