Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. Cardboard is good for keeping the weeds down. It starves them of light, then they decompose and adds more humus to the soil. Its just not very pretty

there's like 2'+ of leaves on top of that cardboard from last fall.. so it's not even visible, and man the worms are diggin it under there bigtime. It's basically pure castings under the cardboard for the first inch or 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I can get plenty of horse poo. I've always collected it for composting though. I've seen where you mentioned before that you have been adding stuff to your ground to condition the soil....don't know specifically I'd you add horse poo directly or if you let it compost first. I figured if I add it like that then I would just cover it with straw and give it ample time to break down....like maybe an entire season before planting in it? I've also got access to leaves from the local recycling center but I also give those ample time to work in my compost since I don't know what they might have been treated with prior to landscapers removing them.

This is another reason why I'd like to have multiple beds so I can let stuff cycle like that and still have somewhere to plant in the meantime.....or am I over thinking it again?

4. Would a baby salad mix do well under some regular t5's and in a planter that's about 12" deep?

hell yeah man.. that stuff grows in anything.

6. Great thread still working on getting ours going for the year...  in norcal... have big black & red ants where we want to plant... what to do about them?  i've heard coffee grinds and cream of wheat?

7. I'm sub'd and along for the ride! I don't have much experience growing veggies but I suppose this is the best place to learn, eh? I do have a few things planted in my small backyard plot. Maybe I can learn how to make 'em thrive. Glad to be here!

8. You're fenced in right? I wouldn't worry about it anyhow. They don't want wet decomposing material - I say do it.

Hey, Dubaba; I don't think we've met. It's good to have you here.

J

9. #29 jerry111165, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Is the poo at least aged a little bit? Horse poo isn't super "hot" so I've found that as long as it's not new and fresh that I can at least mulch with it.

Leaves- Hay/straw - poo, leaves, then cover with more hay/straw... Mulch lasagna!

As long as it stays on the surface and it's not directly up against your plants that you'd be fine. I'd try it on at least one bed but I think you'd be good to go. It will decompose as it ages. Thick mulch FTW!!

Edit - leaves are usually just fine IMO - they don't get sprayed like grass does with the nasties. Ask AW how the leaves are working for him!

10. #30 snoopdog6502, May 20, 2014
    our garden is vast and spread out so its best to do a video walk through to put it in perspective.
    The funny thing you will notice is that I carpet my garden paths. The worms love the shelter it provides.

Here is but a tiny little bit. :)

This is my coffee can super pepper, its happy in a coffee can so who am i to complain.

superpepper519.jpg

This is where  25% of our tomatoes will grow, there are about 10 plants, an okra plant, nectarine tree and the cherry tree.
    toms5191.jpg

This is where our beans and tomatoes will be this year, it was pumpkins last year.

trellises519.jpg

This is my woman's little 20 X 20 I made for her. we have a whole bunch of things in there, blueberries,strawberry's, onions,Gallic,kale,peas, lettuce ,tomatoes,peppers, many herbs and greens, radishes.

womans5191.jpg

11. Sub'd for this veg fest!

12. The poo that I get is just whatever I get from my friend's stalls. I recently found another source for poo because he got divorced and gave everything to his ex. I'm friends with her too but it's a little too awkward, lol. Most of it is clumped with hay and urine.

I usually fill my buckets with both thinking that I have nitrogen and carbon from the same source. I could take that and use it on my next bed.

You blades got me inspired! I think I'll slap together another small bed to get some comfrey going in.

13. I have a couple recipes for compost, compost tea, and worm castings if yall want me to scan and upload them.

14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA5K5r_VXLs

15. #35 GiMiK, May 20, 2014
    So I sowed 8 lbs of dutch white clover the other day, covered the seeded plots with roughly an inch of straw to help retain moisture and keep the birds from getting to everything. Still need like 20 more bales for what I want to accomplish but it'll have to wait until the new comfrey starts get established enough so I can mulch around them and not on.

I plan on sowing sweet corn throughout the month for a staggered harvest, which would really help us in the storage aspect. Going to TP a bunch of strawberry starts this weekend in preparation for next year's berry mania and blueberries for long term production. I'll also be turning the raised beds I made last year into herb gardens for access to a variety of plant materials.

Still looking for cherry trees, not sure where the best bet is to pick up a bunch of saplings but I'd like to start a cherry tree farm, even if it's small scale. Last shots of the comfrey from a few days ago.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      3 MB
      Views:
  16. man you guys have some killer gardens!

super jealous of the fruit trees.. i wanna do that so bad, but being a renter it's pretty much out of the question.

I have a solution - plant them at my house! *lol*

g'mornin' gardeners.

j

18. AW, my alfalfa pellets attract my dogs, they love them. I gave some alfalfa cubes to my pet rabbit and he didn't touch them. Well he picked them up and threw them around but didn't eat them.

19. I have a ton of lettuce under t8s in a 6 inch deep container. 12" deep and t5s should be even better.