Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. I still get a kick out of you asking my advice on some gardening things, lol. Um... re collards, I think grabbing the biggest leaves is the preferred way. I grew GA collards last year and did it that way and basically got a perpetual harvest well into the summer. I think it depends a lot on how much you have and how much you're using. 3 plants was well enough for 2 people at my house.

Idk about plant availability since HD is pay by scan, they don't buy their inventory, and they really don't know when they'll get stuff. Lowes actually buys their stuff (which is why you see a lot of their stuff begin sold discounted, rather than just thrown away), and there's a dude in my class in the morning that works for Lowes so I'll try to get the scoop from him.

I think I'm going to be planting more Cukes, carrots, spinach, beans, beets, radishes and turnips, and some leafy greens here in the next week or 2.

I've currently got Okra, 'maters, peppers, eggplant, peas, beans, carrots, and some winter squash growing in the garden.

2. Heeee .... I know Tropical and Sub-Tropical, still learning Temperate.[​IMG][​IMG]

Think I'll be planting some seeds also The sun seems to have *broke*. My term for when the sun drops just a degree or 2 and it's still hot, but not frying everything like 3 weeks ago, less intense. Like, time to start the fall crops.

Hmmmmm ... Gonna be studying your list.

As an example of what I came from. Tomatoes ... You never planted before the end of Oct., or, in to Nov, and you were done in March, or April if you were lucky. Just too hot and they wouldn't set fruit (night time temps too high). Just totally different than up here.

Totally crazy, but when you grow up with crazy .........

Wet

3. Hey guys i have a friend who wants to get into organic gardening but shes not the cannabis type of person.. Do you guys know any good other websites/forums similar to these sections?

4. I feel this is the best site regardless of MJ. Just for overall gardening. But try BonniePlants pretty good lots of information.

Attached Files:

5. Check out Rodale institute and Acres magazine.

PW

6. Thanks guys.

7. From me polling a gardener/cook in my class today:

runner beans
    peas
    lots of greens: mustard greens, collards, lettuce
    root veggies: beets, radishes, turnips, carrots

8. #3268 donothinggardening, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    www.permies.com

www.logicalgardener.org

edit: </br>

9. Thank you TJ!

10. hey everyone, been super busy this year but still trying to get a garden started. Biggest problem is that`my whole backyard is invaded with a terrible weed that runs along underground, maybe crabgrass or goosegrass or giraffegrass?! [​IMG] anyways its really bad, so my course of action is to lay cardboard and bricks along the perimeter of the house so that I can systematically drown out the weeds from zone 0 outwards (permaculture talk) I hope this works because those super underground vine weeds along with chinese tallow has just taken over my whole backyard RISK style lol

good news is I have a few containers with herbs and greens as well as lots of compost in the makings including a big ole pile of leaves in partial shade all day. I made a hugel bed with old horse compost, fertilizer, and my chinese elm branches that were cut in my yard. It sucks and is only like a foot tall [​IMG] BUT I have two pepper plants, an eggplant, and basil growing in this mini me bed and its still very "young" as far as the wood goes. I keep adding compost and hay as mulch on the top because the sticks always become exposed at the summit of the tiny hill everytime it rains. I will try to get pictures when everything is looking a little better and the fall weather hits ! Loving what everyone is doing on here grow on gco

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440888380.356212.jpg

Protector of the realm.....️

12. Planted some cuke seeds and a heirloom butter bean and a heavy producing butter bean. That's it for the seeds.

Looks like I got first of the first for plants. Went to 2 places, both Bonnie Plants, and generous to say 2 weeks in the flat at most. The real small 9/pack for $3.99. Bought a 9pk of Georgia Collards and a 9pk of Brussels sprouts. Only about 6 from each mini flat were 2" tall or so. The other 3 were under 1" or less. Roots were barely established in both the Collards and the sprouts.

I am NOT bitching by any stretch! Mainly making an observation on the date of availability of the first seedlings. Plus, @0.44 each, most were big enough for the xplant and all I really need of each is 3. The Collards will be going in the raised bed. No experience with sprouts, so I'll see what happens with this xplant AFA growth/size.

Wet

13. Hey guys hope all is well..was wondering if it's possible to you house and gardens root excelurator with an organic super soil mix of should I just stay with making willow tree and alhoe in the water for root growth?

14. #3274 Anatman, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

If you've already got a habit/recipe for the willow and aloe, then I'd stick with that. If you've got a great soil mix, it will already be nutritionally rich so the only thing you could play with are hormones and 2ndary compounds, which you've already got covered with willow and aloe (as far as root growth/health).

But, really, the best thing for root growth is a nice loamy soil with plenty of aeration for airflow, and a consistent moisture level, allowing the roots to draw water and O2 at whatever rate they see fit.

15. Thank you for that advice :) very much appreciated

16. GCO, meet Tommy Two Tone...a true beefsteak.

Attached Files:

17. HOLY CRAP! Is that on purpose?

18. Variegated tomatoes!

19. Anatman, it was purely accidental I assure you. I wouldn't know where to start. It's been like that for over a week. One of my daughters has one also and the plants came from the same flat and nursery.
    Looks like I'll be eating half a tomato.

20. The green half must have been in heavy shade I'm guesssing?

J