Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. Anyone taking bets on how long til Budz kills his veggies? Poor guy can't keep anything alive inside... Lmao

2. Today I finished up my harvesting of the butternut and acorn squash along with some cucumbers. I pulled up all that was left and started a compost pile. Here is what I got.

[​IMG]

Now I need to go get some straw to throw over the top of the garden and let it set over the winter. Here's what the garden looks like and you can see the start of my compost pile there on the right.

[​IMG]

3. Update on the Zolushka Potato Seeds~
    [​IMG]

Update, shes roobound now, time to transplant!
    [​IMG]

4. Man, that plant looks healthy and happy!

5. Hard to tell in the pics but theres two plants in that little pot and the leaves are starting to turn on the edges. Theyre potatoes, so they need to have some root space real soon lol, otherwise ill have some marble sized taters :lol:

6. You putting that outside, or in your indoor grow?

I've been thinking of throwing a five gallon bucket of pot's in the corner of my veg' room...

7. Im going to start growin veges in my grow room again. I used to have a plethora of plants in my indoor gardens. Im going to grow some natural bug remedies inside like mint. Already have other plants in there. Been wondering how succulents would grow under hids/leds tbh

I bet succulents would do real well, especially off to the side (where you'd want them anyway).

9. Tbh, ive never seen any plant that didnt like artificial light yet :smoke:

But like you said, i always keep them on the side. I dont think most could handle the extreme direct light that causes cannabis to grow so well/quickly.

10. Jerry, if you're out there, how do you store your green tomatoes? I think I remember you and AW talking about wrapping them in newspaper and putting on the shelf in your basement, then taking out and putting on a windowsil when you want them to ripen up.

Do I need to wrap each tomato, individually, or can i kinda throw them together in a cardboard box lined w/ newspapers?

11. #2331 Hortila, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    Stevebomb, I'm taking a guess here but I'm thinking that wrapping them individually is so they aren't exposed to light stopping them from ripening.

Poke, them tatters are looking good. Other then mint what other natural big plants you planing on growing?

Pakalolo.....nice final harvest there! That is a monster cucumber you've got there.....lol!!

12. I keep some medicinal plants from the rainforest in there along with cannabis, but was told i cant say which, even though theyre legal, due to gc rules. I typically start much of my spring garden under artificial lighting so that when spring comes im ahead of the game. Much the same way in spring people buy plants that are almost mature, or fruiting already.

The zolushka are russian potatoes grown from tiny white seeds that reminded me almost of mustard seeds. I grew them as an experiment for a "prepper" who wanted to see if you COULD grow potatoes from seed. Having never heard of potato seeds I jumped at the opportunity. He then proceeded to hand me about 200 dollars or more worth of seeds from every kind of vegetable you cant even imagine, from all parts of the world. Some dont seem edible to me, but thats my culture interfering with my growth as a person lol

But ill probably start a few potato eyes to see if we can get some started. Probably start some peppers as well, various varieties, wife will probably start some big boy tomatoes, i was considering starting some pumpkins and maybe other winter melons for my chickens, so i can plant them outside in the next few weeks.

I need to order another neem tree or two and keep it down there. I had 4 but this was before i was into organics or cared as much so i left them out in a freeze and they died :( you learn from lessons that cost you though, so i wont ever make that mistake again and that was a couple years ago when my health was seriously in question, i let the garden die and was bed ridden, but that couldnt be helped so much i guess.

I also might start some fruit trees. I started a grapefruit tree a few years back from seed and have an avocado tree in my bathroom grown from seed about 4 feet tall. Put the grapefruit in the yard, as well as peach tree, both grown from seed. Plan on grafting onto them when theyre mature.

I used to grow whatever just because but nobody ate anything i grew, so now i grow only what i know we'll eat.

I also typically sew alfalfa seed outside but none took last year so im going to experiment indoors and see what happens. Maybe the seeds are bad, or maybe i overestimated their viability as a "weed" when i listened to a farmer who said, no need to till, toss some on the ground lol. I tossed that shit everywhere, none grew at all.

I also grow a few legumes for fun, my favorite being peanuts. Im the only person i know in central california who amends his outdoor garden each year, section by section with peanuts, which help with putting nitrogen back in the soil (george washington carvers method), as well as some bean plants for the kids. This along with regular vermicompost teas has allowed me to turn clay soil hard as stone into stuff that looks like something on aw or jerrys page. The soil always feels tilled now, its really nice living stuff, full of worms that congregated due to the teas.

Ill stop here though, i could literally go on and on. Best not to ask a gardener, what are your plans? unless youve got a few hours i suppose :smoke:

13. Was gonna ask where you were situated with the ability to grow all this awesome fruit and veg. But I should have known, up here in Alberta you sure as shit can't be growing half your goods. And it's all good, I'm intrigued!

14. #2334 rain dancer, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Central California :p

But tbh, nobody I know irl has a clue what half the plants i grow are or how I grow them. Im the last of a dying breed I suppose. Which is why im here to pass on the knowledge, as well as soaking a whole lot up like a sponge.

I always wondered how id grow in the snow, i grew up in the sierra nevada mountains where 10-15 feet of snow in the front yard was no big deal.

I heard about a guy who grows marijuana plants in that same snow i mentioned under different colored tarps specially made to grow food crops in snow. He has fields that are rockin when its -20f outside. I need to make a trip up to meet this guy and learn some secrets.

15. Hells yeah you do....and once you get back you can hook a growmie up!! Round here -20 to -30f is the norm in winter.

16. Just harvested 2-3 cu. ft. of kale and chard since the snow melted. 

17. Time to make some soup buddy!

18. IIRC, didn't you have some involvement in a community garden at one point? I think I remember you mentioning that a long time ago....sorry if I'm mistaken.

If I'm not, how'd it turn out?

19. Yes sir, I have a little experience with community gardens, growing in warehouses, fields, backyards, basements, you name it lol
    Setup grows for tons of people over the years, offered tons of advice. Helped friends invest in collectives and watched them get huge returns. You name it ive done it!

The community grow Was funny, I jumped in when a few of my buddies had some money to throw at the wind. They wanted to invest. So one invested in one garden, his twin in the other. I advised my friends garden, his return of 2 grand came back at 6k, I made him 4 grand by advising and helping with the garden, offering advice mostly, since the guy in charge was super weird about any outside people.

And I didnt advise the other garden, since I wasnt friends with the other twin at that point. The super weird guy ran that one by his lonesome. The yield was shit, the garden got bugs and the final yield amounted to a measily 1800 bucks, split between 6 people. They fired the super weird guy and offered me a job. I declined as I had my hands in another deal at the time, growing for some Los Angeles dispensaries, but thats another story all together that ended grand theft autoesque, the video game that is lol.

So thats pretty much my experience. I dont recommend dispensaries to anyone, collectives are a whole lot nicer, they actually "sell" the bud they grow with community gardens from guys like me, vs dispensaries who are often gang/cartel or small business owned by some guy out to make a profit. i feel confident saying that considering ive now been to over 60 dispensaries, easily and dealt with all the behind the scenes stuff.

20. btw my community garden was a weed garden lol, not a garden garden. But I did about 7 outdoor gardens on my half acre and my neighbors property for years til last year when my illness got worse. Ill most likely start up the gardens again soon. For my own house, i got all my neighbors involved recycling paper and junk in my worm bins. I repaid them with tons of veges til I grew too much and nobody wanted it, thus my worm population thrived lol

Its rare for me to find anyone interested enough in gardening to do anything community oriented....which is odd, but most likely due to the fact that im living on farm land in the farming capital of america