Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. We were at 48 when i got up today. Im hoping the relatively cool summer made them more akin to the cooler temps

• Like Like x 2
  2. We are spoiled here in CA. It was 83 today and still summer like.
    We need rain bad though!

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 6
    1816 - The Year Without a Summer.

http://www.milbridgehistoricalsociety.org/previous/no_summer.html

Worth checking out! Snow in June, ice and frost in August.. 

In June “…there were only a few moderately warm days. Everybody looked, longed and waited for warm weather. All summer long the wind blew steadily from the north in blasts laden with snow and ice. Farmers who worked out their taxes on the county roads wore overcoats and mittens. On June 17 th, there was a heavy fall of snow. The morning of the 17 th dawned with the thermometer below the freezing point. A farmer, searching for a lost flock of sheep, was out all day in the storm and failed to return at night. He was found three days later lying in a hollow on a side hill with both feet frozen.
    “July came in with ice and snow. On the 4th of July, ice as thick as window glass, formed throughout New England, New York, and some parts of Pennsylvania.
    “August proved to be the worst month of all. There was great privation and thousands of persons in this country would have perished but for the abundance of fish and wild game.”
    \n[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Do you remember this Coot? ;)[/SIZE]
    \n[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]j[/SIZE]

• Like Like x 5
    Jerry

I've never heard of that - wow!

Oregonians really love their summers and if summer falls on a weekend many go for a picnic!

• Like Like x 3
    Ah, the eruption of Mount Tambora on April 5 - 15, 1815 spewed so much ash into the atmosphere that it caused some global cooling and missing summers.

Coot was probably just a kid in those days. :laughing:

• Like Like x 6
  6. Lol, ha....my thoughts exactly!

7. I went out into the garden and picked some of my Monica tomatoes. They are a plum variety. I did the hot bath to remove the outer skin and will be turning them into spaghetti sauce for tonight. I've got lots more so I'll be able to do this another 3-4 times.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  8. So you can soak 'maters in hot water and just peel the skin right off w/ your fingers?

• Like Like x 2
    I put them in boiling water for about 30 seconds or so. I take them out and put them in a bath of ice water to stop the cooking and yes peel the skins off with my fingers.

• Like Like x 5
    yeah works like a charm..
    i do the same.. and squeeze some of the seeds out.

I've been peeling and freezing them in batches as they get ripe.
    I was thinking of making a big batch of sauce and jarring it.. but now i may just keep the frozen tomatoes and make sauce when i need to.
    Figure if i vacuum seal them they'll hang in the freezer for a while.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Legume Plants: A New Route From Shoot to Root - Science Daily

Summary
    \nLegume plants regulate their symbiotic relationship with soil bacteria by using cytokinins-signaling molecules that are transmitted through the plant structure from leaves into the roots to control the number of bacteria-holding nodules in the roots.
    \nLegumes, an important plant family which includes lentils, soybeans, and peanuts, have the ability to prosper in nitrogen-poor soil environments thanks to an ingenious adaptation: they develop a symbiotic relationship with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, allowing the bacteria to infect them within special structures known as nodules that are located along their roots.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Can legumes also act as nitrogen accumulators to be used like we do other accumulators?

J

• Like Like x 1
  13. #2235 over dere, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Jerry

Alfalfa is in the legume family - it's a sativa but I'm not sure about cross-breeding alfalfa with cannabis plants though.

Medicago sativa

CC

• Like Like x 4
  14. A happy observation from something CC noted in another thread.

What he noted was the relation of Ca and flower development.

A month or so ago, it looked like my eggplant was out of gas. We had harvested what appeared to be the last 2 eggplants of the season and there was no new flowers or anything going on with the plant. Still looked healthy though.

I was going around and top dressing all the containers with gypsum and VC on top of that. The eggplant got some just because I was going down the line so to speak. It didn't get any of the Espoma that still producing plants got.

Lo and behold, it popped out new growth and flowers and I have 3 new eggplants hoping to beat the frost. :yay:

These new flowers and growth happened about 3 weeks after the gypsum was applied. I'm sure the VC had a part also, but there had been no hint of flowers for several weeks before the gypsum was applied. No big new growth either.

I'm convinced. I was before, but I didn't expect anything this dramatic.

Wet

• Like Like x 6
  15. I'd have to imagine that Soybeans would make an excellent soil amendment - IF you could source non-GMO organic soy, that is.

J

• Like Like x 3
  16. Fat chance. I can walk a mile from my house and come across 2 GMO soy fields...

• Like Like x 3
  17. I have the same problem. Corn and soy. Earlier this year a neighboring farmer sprayed his Roundup on a windy day, causing some of my dandelions to turn red and die. That's why I've been wondering how long it takes for the toxins to leave the plants/soil.

• Like Like x 2