True Or False: Was Religion Created Out Of A Fear Of Death And To Simply Have Something To Believe In?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by tokeallday, May 19, 2014.

1. #41 AK Infinity, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014

Wrong is wrong friend and ascribing complexity to religion doesn't make it anymore believable than Lord of the Rings.  If there were proof behind some of religion's claims then I would probably give it more credence beyond its obvious historical importance, but since there is none I can't.

We're all free to believe whatever we want but not all beliefs carry the same weight or are true.

2. First off, that was never the point I was making. And secondly (since you brought it up), how can you say it's not believable? Million of people (many of whom are very intelligent and equipped with curious and probing minds) living in the world today believe in religion. It may not be believable to you, but what does that matter? Are you really so arrogant to assume that since something doesn't make sense to you (especially something you've pretty much shown to know almost nothing about) then it shouldn't make sense to anyone else? What a peculiar thing to say.

3. You mean believable in a metaphorical sense, right? As in, people believe in the teachings that religion espouses, and not that it is a literal account of history.

4. Ideally, yes. But some people believe religion should be viewed literally.

5. Those can't be the smart people though.

6. I personally think religion was created as a coping mechanism for people who aren't strong enough to experience life on there own. And also for partial control over people so people think there are repercussions later for all the bad things they do

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

This really isn't about me.  I realize I can hit certain religious erogenous zones with my posts at times, but I'm trying to point to something bigger than me, I'm trying to direct your attention to a proven way of seeing the world, I'm trying to direct you toward science.  Objective reality is at odds with religion's claims, that's not something I invented brah, that's just a natural motherfucking way of life.  

Yes human beings do have curious minds but not all minds are equally curious, indeed there's a decided lack of curiosity on the part of some that "practice" religion.  Practitioners have a set of principles in front of them and are content with that, so naturally any new information, especially information that's contradictory is rejected.

I agree with this to a point but more than their smarts I look at willful ignorance as a cause of many of the problems here.  Some people just don't have the fortitude to see the world as it is.

8. When did I give you the impression I was ignorant about science? Because I'm religious? Religious people can't be knowledgeable about science now? What about the Pontificate Academy of Science with its innumerable Nobel Prize winners; the countless Jesuit scientists that have contributed important advancements in many different fields of science and learning, to the point where Seismology has been called the "Jesuit Science"; the Christians heavy involvement in the provision of medicine and health care?

Science may conflict (and even disprove) you misguided and uninformed view of religion; but science fits just nicely with my religious beliefs.

9. Religion helps control the masses. It is for the weak and misguided.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

My views are informed by facts and evidence, outside of that I gladly claim ignorance.

11. The sun is god. She told me when I stared at her for a year straight. True story.

12. Socrates talks about The Noble Lie in Plato's Republic, which was published around 380BC...

The noble lie is a lie told for a higher purpose, it's told for the benefit of society.

Less than 400 years after Plato wrote about the noble lie.... Jesus Christ was born. ;)

13. Religion was created to control and organize the masses, IMO. There is no other reason someone would create such an absurd, strict, all-seeing being. 

I don't necessarily see the religious as weak, @[member="cybertoothtiger"], but I do agree that it misguides people. But how can we blame them? I grew up as a child in a catholic family, and wasn't taught about other religions or the choice of atheism until I did my own research in public school.

Good discussion topic, OP. 

14. ...And to think....the stoners of GC are the next great philosophers of the world :smoke:

Also I've grown to believe it was created to ease thought of death but it was eventually used to control and influence the masses....for instance, the current pope recent said he saw "the evils" of pot addiction...WTF?

15. True. The bible was a book of stories made to scare kids. 

It's faith people crave. Faith in anything. They just need to believe there's something better than this hell we call life.

plus if they think they are going to heaven when they die the are hardly going to step out of line and question things.

17. Although I believe there is a higher power that I would call "God", I do think that say the bible or organized religion was possibly created out of fear of death and the unknown. I have nothing against organized religion or the bible but I don't think it should ever be viewed as a rule book.

18. this is wrong. You confused God and religion.

People invented God to explain origins.

People invented religion to control other people

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. No, religion was most likely created from spiritual influence. They're lots of interactions with deities in holy books.