What Do You Guys Think Of Books With Tiny Print?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Cyllas, May 18, 2014.

1. #1 Cyllas, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
    This depends highly on which edition we are talking about, among many other things.

But some books just have this TINY, TINY print and I dont like how long it takes for me to read a single page. I start getting this anxiety of sorts and rush to finish the page cause i feel like its taking to long. Which affects how much information i absorb.

Let me elaborate on that, when i read, I like to turn pages to feel like im getting somewhere in the book, this is part of the experience for me, along with absorbing the content of course. (i used to literally just try to finish books as fast as possible without trying to learn the material just so i could have "another book down" did anyone else go through one of these phases?)

A good example of this is most copies of religious texts have TINY TINY print (and really thin pages for some reason)

One other things, whats up with 100 page chapters? I understand that some topics need alot of pages to cover, it just sort of bugs me since sometimes i tell myself "ill eat after i finish this chapter" then i notice im 12 pages into a 127 page chapter.......lol.

Also, ive just discovered this sub thread [The Bookshelf] on grass city, so i plan on discussing books more often with you guys.

2. Yup. I know exactly what you mean. And I've gotten a little dependent on Stephen King's microchapters. It's rewarding to hit the next number, and I feel like I read faster and, yet, still retain everything. Bizarre.

3. #3 Cyllas, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
    i LOVE when books have that blank page inbetween chapters, or the picture inbetween chapters so i get a free page turn

Or when half a page is a graph, picture, quote, or blank cause its the end of a chapter.

4. my dads a HUGE stephen king reader, are you reading anything specific right now?

5. i hate the tiny print stuff...but I wear bifocals too so...

I finished 'Imagica' by Clive Barker earlier today, and started reading Stephen King's 'Gerald's Game' at midnight tonight. Already digging it. But now it is my time to write.

7. Time to pull out the magnifying glass.

8. I prefer decent sized text.  But I've never come across text that is so small that it's hard to read and takes longer to read a page.  And I can agree that turning a page is very satisfying.  One of the major things that beats PDFs and E-books

9. One thing ive noticed since i made this post, many books may utilize smaller print in order to control how many pages are in the book, for example this book im reading rightnow is at 800 pages, at smaller sized print...

If it was normal sized print it may have to be like 1000,or 1100 pages.

10. A friend got me some diabetic cook books .

Fucking print so small its not funny.

You would think that the dumb fuck.publishers of diabetic cook books would know we have bad vision.

love my findle fire HD, thats where I read most of my books.

11. Small text can be pretty infuriating.

12. I don't read many books besides textbooks, but I can remember that in high school.  I think it was The Scarlett Letter that I had to read once, and the print wasn't too bad, but each line was squished together and extended almost completely from one side of the page to the other (most books have larger margins).  It tooks me like 3-4 minutes to read a page and it pissed me off so much.  I would read for like 2 hours and feel like I've gotten nowhere.  I'm a pretty slow reader, too, because I try to absorb as much as possible.

13. depending on the book small text and thin paper is much more appreciated because the story will just last that much longer, if its a shit book though getting it over with faster would be nicer and the small text becomes torture, bible and school books were like this for the most part.

14. Some people have eidetic memories and can read books extremely quickly and retain every sentence. I am not one of those people, and therefore don't give a fuck how quickly I read. It's all about enjoying the escapism and focusing on what the author is trying to express.

The things i would do for an eidetic memory....

16. Hurts my eyes, larger fonts authors please

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum