Starting My Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by bakin420, May 17, 2014.

1. Hey GC,

I am stoked on going about growing organically, I have done a lot of reading thanks to the links supplied by Jerry, again thank you very much. And LD's knowledge about organics just blows me away. And off topic, I have access to Concentrates NW in Milwaukee, so I can get everything I need and am friggin' stoked!! Well to start off my mix I have all this so far,

Volcanic pumice
    local EWC
    Dolomite lime
    Oly mountain fish compost
    Glacial rock dust
    Alaska peat moss
    ConcentratesNW all purpose meal
    Fish bone meal
    Crab meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Kelp meal
    Fish meal
    Neem seed meal

I plan on making another trip to concentrates to get some oyster shell powder to replace my dolomite lime. And some Ahimsa organic neem cake and Karanja cake to replace my neem seed meal. Also grabbing some Ahimsa organic neem oil just for safety precautions haha :)

What do you guys think about my mix? Any improvements needed or should I remove any meals? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bakin'

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. Well I'm glad you are readin' LD posts. I know that the only amendments he uses these days are kelp, neem, crab and rock dust. That's it! and that is all ya need. There isn't any magical combination of 'meals' that will make your soil "perfect". The important part is the compost/ewc and by the sound of it, you should be set there.

I can guarantee you that you don't need the fish meal or fish bone meal. Those two items are 100% unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, you can use them, but you don't need them. I personally would return them and save yourself a few dollars.

You definitely don't need the all-purpose stuff. What is on the ingredients list anyway? My guess would be something like soybean meal, alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, blood meal, bone meal, poultry manure and maybe some beneficial microbes or something.... anyway, totally unnecessary.

Like I said before, LD only uses kelp, crab, neem and rock dust. If I could start over, I would have never bought fish bone meal or greensand because I don't need em! The difference between a soil mix with 5 ingredients and one with 50 ingredients is that the latter probably costs more. Does it grow better plants just because it has fish bone meal? Doubtful.

Here is a quote from 'ol Jerry:

"'Get the Compost/EWC dialed in and you won't have many questions that need an answer. Lumperdawgz'

Simplicity and not overthinking - and following the above advice given to us all and we cannot go wrong. It always and forever comes back to the humus thing - everything else is secondary and only matters a little bit in the grand scheme of things. While our kelp, our neem, rock dust - whatever, are important, none of it means anything without the good humus. IMO amendments are interchangeable. NPK means little. These items are food for the all important helpers. Massive amounts of microbes, the whole "terrarium"/living soil is all that matters...

I'm just thinking out loud here... Lol

J"

If you want to use those other meals, then go right ahead. It is your soil after all and you have to grow with it. If you want my two pennies, I'd stick to the basic ingredients and call it gravy. No need to spend the extra $20+ on meals that may or may not be of benefit to your garden.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Awesome, I'm going to do a couple different mixes and set them aside and do test runs on which I like the best. Thanks for your response brotha.

Bakin'

• Like Like x 4
  4. Great post TJ. I agree with you, to a large extent.

Certain materials have specific effects upon the soil life, both plants and microbiology. The kelp, crab and neem are great sources of secondary benefits (PGR's, Pest control, chelation, water retention, etc) along with having high nutrition value, which is why I think there are varied benefits to utilizing other materials.

But that's just a small degree of differentiation, outside of the base nutritional context.  :bongin:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Nice mix - I'm sure you'll be quite happy with your results. FYI - neem seed meal is the same as "cake"; they are just different names for the same thing but I'm glad you're going with the Ahimsa product - it is a beautiful thing.

Make sure when you're done mixing that the soil drains well. You shod be able to squeeze a handful tightly and have it still crumble apart easily. Moisten thoroughly and set it aside for 3-4 plus weeks and you'll be good to go.

This is the best choice you'll ever make in your gardening career. Congratulations!

J

• Like Like x 4
  6. Thank you for the tip Jerry, I'm mixing up my first batch right now for my vegetable garden.. Used everything I have listed, time too see how my vegetable garden does!! Then the next batch will be mixed for my Girls :)

Thanks again,

Bakin'

• Like Like x 1
  7. I thought I would share my blue magoo pheno. Lime green buds covered in trichs, with purple throughout the bud :) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1400440224.196278.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. My first mix I ended up using neem cake,Karanja cake,crab meal,kelp meal,alfalfa meal,fish meal,fish bone meal.. The second mix I made I used the same except I removed the fish meals. I guess we shall see if the fish really make a difference! I'll be doing a side by side comparison... :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. #9 bakin420, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    On a second note, I noticed the oly mountain fish compost I'm using has worms in it. After mixing about 75 gallons of soil I noticed worms crawling all throughout my soil. They are being nice enough to add some extra castings for me ;)

• Like Like x 4
  10. #10 bakin420, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
    Little update on the mix before wetting it down a little ;) Had to double post for some reason it wouldn't let me upload a picture in this post.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402943369.074934.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402943432.540419.jpg

• Like Like x 1