My Kids Will Be School Free.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ItsReneeYo_, May 15, 2014.

1. #41 ItsReneeYo_, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    I think life is beautiful and full of things I didn't get to see or experience as a kid. I feel like public schools don't care anymore, they're motivated by money and the teachers and students get worse every year.

There are alternatives to learning that people are so quick to dismiss. Just give it a thought. I went to a public school and a charter school. Hated both of them

I watch my sisters go to school every single day , I go to work , my mom goes to work. I see them for like 4 or 5 hours a day , they go off and do homework , then it's on to the next day. I want to spend much more time with my kids. I want them to learn things they can use. I'm not against pre-school. I'm just not with the higher grades of public learning.

Maybe it's easier said then done, but it's worth the try I think.

That's a badger.

3. 9/10 kids I have met who were home schooled are socially awkward to the point of discomfort, usually religious, sheltered, rarely any better educated than us poor public school saps, and often times pretentious as fuck.

I think the idea of homeschooling is a novel one. I think it could be done effectively but it requires commitment and resources. Who is going to pay for your trip, your books, your computers, supplies, travel, etc? if you're devoting your life to educating your children, what will be your income?
    Also, when my son was young I thought about home schooling. After 3 years of staying home with him, I almost lost my mind. There is no way I could do it.
    Not saying it can't be done effectively but the average person isn't smart enough or rich enough to provide their children with a well rounded education.

4. #44 Deleted member 629842, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Well, I do believe Public school is shit in ways. But hell, I enjoyed mine in ways. 
    But, what kind of Public school did you grow up with?
    I live in a small town, with a public school, an alternative school, and a private school. Graduated with a class of 99 people. 
    I hated the education system, but enjoyed the social experiences. Some of the teachers here in this small town are some of the greatest people I've met. 
    But if you're judging your opinion on public schooling because of city public school or something, then maybe you ought to give a small community a try. 

5. no it wasn't a lie. It's a post on humans of New York. Don't know if you've heard of it.

6. A badger! 

7. #47 4shotmark, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    CS Lewis would say that you are going to hell for not believing in Jesus as your savior. Why even mention him?

This is a different day and age. Kids may go to MIT from being homeschooled but that doesn't make them socially developed. Your experience being standoffish is subjective and anecdotal.

Please think before you even have kids, I worry for their well being.
    You are too radical.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I completely agree with you that public school is a joke.

But no matter which course you take, theres pros and cons. What it comes down to, is how you and your child feel about it.

Lets speak in hypetheticals, say you start off homeschooling, and your child says that theyre lonely and want to go to "normal" school to meet people? How would you react?

Now since Ive everything Ive said in here has been skewed and misunderstood let me stress this. I am not saying they will, or that they should, I am asking what if.

9. Moved around a lot because of my dad being in the navy. Moved in the middle of middle school and the middle of high school. Middle school was a ghetto , underfunded , horrible place. I hated it. Made 2 friends in middle school. One of the claimed to be pregnant and had an abortion. I'm over here like. Wtf is an abortion. Lol

My high school was a Turkish charter school called harmony school of advancement, I graduated in a class of 50 something. And I did enjoy the social experience. But, I still flunked tests and hated the choosen method of teaching.

10. Well in my school we had to buy our own supplies, not the computer, but did need to buy one to use at home to type, so I don't think the expenses would be any different.  Also I know many families with only a single income and they seem to manage fine.

11. Radical.
    Different.
    Non conformative

Yea I agree.

12. I would let them try it , but it would have to be a school of my choice that I feel does the best they can to educate my kid in the best ways possible. And even then , I would teach them some more stuff at home,

13. #53 4shotmark, May 15, 2014
    Extremism without proper logic can be fatal. Look at the misuse of the concept of jihadism and the misuse of Islam as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Exactly, public schools in more ghetto/city areas are shit. Funding goes to crap, etc. 
    I should complain at all about my public school compared to what there is out there. 
    Funding for public schooling seems to be going downhill fast as well. 

But the social experiences, is what I enjoyed. You ought to give a town that has a population under 5k a visit. Small towns get friendly and helpful.

15. #55 SassyMelassy, May 15, 2014
    I would love to know these single family incomes and how they're going to fund a well rounded education.
    The expenses would be significantly different, if you were to provide a thorough education, and travel around in an RV as Renee suggested.
    I think you're out of touch with how much it costs to raise and educate a child. Not to mention the fact that you pay taxes which provide to an educational system that you're not going to be using...
    Idk, I am a single parent, so the concept is unimaginable to me since I am not independently wealthy and I acknowledge that google is not an adequate resource in educating a child.

You know where a huge sports scene is with tons of kids the same age and skill level.

3 guesses :p

17. You had an unusual childhood schooling experience.  I'm sure that if you planned to live near a good school, your fears about your child's education would be far less. I went to a horrible parochial grammar school, a place I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have experienced, but I doubt that being taught at home would have been better. 

18. That's why I said if I'm fortunate enough

So many of them turn out like this

[​IMG]

:hide: 

20. NBA?