Extracting Resin From Metal Piipe W/microwave

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Popesack, May 14, 2014.

1. ive got a metal one hitter a microwave, a plastic bowl, and coffee filters. ive got a bowl of water in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes then im putting the pipe in the water for 10 minutes. then straining with the coffee filter. will this work as good as boiling on the stove??

2. Ok so are you trying to clean you piece or collect the res?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I would just scrape it and get what you can, smoking that soggy extract just sounds really bad lol

4. I wouldn't even smoke it is say just clean it with grudge off or what ever you use let it soak then run it through hot water

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. personally I don't think so, as the hot water would rapidly cool once it hits the metal pipe, you need the water really hot to turn it into liquid state. I would be curious as to your results though.

FYI, water will not physically boil in the microwave, but the temp will go way above boiling point. When you put something in the heated water (spoon for instance after heating coffee in the microwave), it will create it to boil over and many people have burned themselves doing this. Be careful doing this, I would put a wooden skewer or something to the effect in the water while in the microwave.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1863/is-boiling-water-in-a-microwave-dangerous

6. Uh, Do you know what kind of metal that one hitter is made out of? Some metals create a nice light show if put into the microwave...Just boil it on the stove man. Hope things go good for you man.

7. I actually boil water in my microwave all the time. I use boiling hot water to coean my bong and diffusers and bowls. Its a brand new, less than a month old microwave and I put it on 4-5 mins after putting hot water in it. I can assure you, the water boils just like on a stove top. I actually know its ready when I look in and see it boiling :smoke:

Exactly. Metal in the microwave is not a good idea unless you like sparking snd explosions.

Lots of other ways to remove resin such as alcohol, hot water, etc.

8. #8 Everythingshazy, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    YEa.. don't put metal in the microwave liek they said.. For <$30 you can get an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, and then just pour in water and rubbing alcohol and put ur piece in.. all the gunk will come off or loosen enough that running water over it will take it off.

Edit**  Also, if its resin from SMOKING not vaping, which it would be in a pipe, I dont recommend smoking that either.. thats probably full of carcinogenic burnt stuff.

9. Don't put it in a microwave that's one of the most ridiculously unnecessary and unhealthy thing to do. People forget microwaves uses radio waves to heat things up.

Use a lighter to hear up a knife or something metal to scrap with,and you can heat up the one hitter itself (I also have a metal one) works great too.

Did you read the link our of curiosity? Water may boil in the microwave somewhat under certain conditions, but the process is much different than your typical stove top as there is nothing to stir the water creating hot spots and can be dangerous and create water to boil over, the science is proven and I have experienced it myself which is what made me look into it in the first place, this is simply a warning to anyone who does it is all, but you might want to take caution on calling BS on something which can harm someone.

Also OP does not mention putting the pipe in the microwave, he mentions heating the water up in the microwave and then pouring it onto the pipe.

11. I called bs on your line, "FYI, water will not physically boil in the microwave...." nothing else.

In the future, remember that if youre going to state something as fact, make sure its a fact or someone will nitpick the bullshit out of it.
    :smoke:

12. You know the best way to clean any metal pipe?  Soak it in 91% iso with a healthy dash of rock salt - perhaps in a plastic ziplock - shake it up and dispose of the junk.  Don't smoke that shit.  Resin is nasty

13. metal + microwave = you fucking tell me?

should be under high ideas

14. #14 allusernamestaken!, May 15, 2014

Fair enough, but I stand by my comment. Water itself does not boil in the microwave, it will only boil when another element is introduced to create the boil effect. There must be a chip in the mug for instance, or a stir stick to defuse energy or the energy of movement, or even something needs to be added to the water. Water on its own with no assistance from anything else will not boil in a microwave from my understanding of this science. I could be wrong, and not worth the argument, in the end I just want people to use some caution with this. Cheers :)

Occurrence via microwave oven[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit<span>]</span>
    Superheating can occur when an undisturbed container of water is heated in a microwave oven. When the container is removed, the water still appears to be below the boiling point. However, once the water is disturbed, some of it violently flashes to steam, potentially spraying boiling water out of the container.<sup>[3]</sup> The boiling can be triggered by jostling the cup, inserting a stirring device, or adding a substance like instant coffee or sugar. The chances of superheating are greater with smooth containers, because scratches or chips can house small pockets of air, which serve as nucleation points. Chances of superheating can increase with repeated heating and cooling cycles of an undisturbed container, like when a forgotten coffee cup is re-heated without being removed from a microwave oven. This is due to heating cycles progressively de-gassing the liquid. There are ways to prevent superheating in a microwave oven, such as putting a popsicle stick in the glass or using a scratched container.

15. #15 rain dancer, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Stand by your comment.

Nothing wrong with being wrong and in denial imo.

I do this everytime i clean my bong. Nothing extra is introduced, it just boils and when i see it bubbling, i remove it from the microwave.

Weird that youre disputing this, but whatever floats your boat. Quote all the science you want, I can boil water in my microwave right now so "your facts" dont effect me. Saying water cant boil even though it reaches the boiling point and does what reality and physics requires it to do makes you seem in denial to me.

Ive heard stoners argue stupider shit before :smoke: tho, so Im not trippin on you at all. If you truly believe that, I cant hate on you for it

Edit: my post sounds dickish and that wasnt my intention, i jus sound like an asshole sometimes, so my apologies.

16. #16 allusernamestaken!, May 15, 2014

Dont you think that bong may have some glass imperfections to form a nucleation point? Did you read my post at all where is says slight chips or scratches will do this? If you did not have it, you would not have the boil. Water on its own does not boil, it needs assistance from something around it to achieve a boil in a microwave.

17. If there is resin in the bong it will have the imperfections required to boil and if it's clean why the fuck are you boiling your bong

18. I dont put my bong in the micrwave, i put a clean glass measuring cup.

When you heat up any food in the micrwave, the only thing that heats is the water in the food. If you ever heat up food again in a microwave, add some water and a glass bowl and it will steam. You can make shit that would normally be chewy, very "fresh" by simply adding water.

When water reaches the boiling point, it can have the flash you described earlier or OP or whoever, but the flash of water and steam to the face was due to the pressure change, ie, the guy had the cup in the micrwave where steam resided above it, removing the glass from the microwave, where the air is not hot, nor steamy, or pressurized allows the pressurized gas or air in the water to escape. The cool air on hotwater can even make glass break, since one side of glass is cooling while the other is heating as steam releases. Since water expands, this all makes perfect sense.

If you were in my kitchen or i felt like making a youtube for the hell of it i could simply walk you in there, clean a glass, put it in there and in about 4 mins id be like a proud father watchin my kid get giddy as they experienced something in life that has lost all mystery to me. Dont know how else to word that...

Yes but your adding a glass measuring cup, the imperfections in that glass is what is giving the water its nucleation point, not the water itself. I get what your saying, but water itself does not boil, it needs something to help it along to create a boil. This thread is going off topic, I dont really want to be a part of it, apologies to the OP for taking it off track and I will leave it at that, again with no hard feelings on my behalf.

the glass measuring cup may assist in the nucleation process, but the water is in fact boiling….