Questions Regarding Bho (Small Run From Trim)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by joe grow, May 14, 2014.

1. Posted this in the wrong section last night. So I'm trying again this morning....
    ________________________________________________________________________________

So I've been smoking some shatter recently and I really like it.
    \nBut I mean who wouldn't right?
    \n\nAnyway, I've got a bit of trim and it's bone dry so I'm not bubblebagging it (and there's no where near enough to bubblebag anyway) and I'm not going to make QWISO with it so I thought I'd try my hand at some butane extraction.
    \nI have a 1.5"x5.75" tube for it with some 50 or 75 micron stainless steel screens. 

First question - should I be putting a coffee filter over then end of that as well as the metal screens? Or will they do on their own (maybe layering two or three up..?)

Here's a link to the tube I bought:
    \nhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351022134497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    \n\nDon't worry, it's not just 'plastic' it's polypropylene which is resistant to butane and was cheaper than glass/steel as an initial investment. As soon as I start doing this more often I will definitely upgrade to a better extraction tube though.
    \nSecond question - I have filled my tube up with my dry trim (which I have roughly crumbled up with my fingers - no grinding) plus a tiny bit of bud from the same plant to add volume and there is about an inch space left in the tube. I can cut this down to half an inch by fluffing up the contents, but I'm under the impression that compacted would be better. So I thought I could make up the extra inch with some dry stalks from the same plant all chopped up.
    \nSo with using these stalks to bulk it up a bit, should I mix them evenly amongst my trim and then shove it all in the tube or shall I stick them all at one end of the tube as a sort of spacer... I was thinking if I did it like this I would put them at the top end where the butane is blasted in. I assumed it would make more sense to have the least potent and less dense section at the top. Also assuming as it'll be less dense if all in one spot, the butane would expand to gas, would it work well at the bottom as place where butane could start expanding before leaving the chamber? Or will it just cause problems... Do you guys think I should just mix them through evenly? Of the contents it's only going to be about 1/6 (17%) stalks in there.
    \nThanks!

2. Put a couple coffee filters over your SS screen.

Pack the empty space with unbleached coffee filters.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Ah genius! Coffee filters would make a good space filler. I hadn't thought of that... So which end should they be at?

4. Fill the empty space after you are done packing.

When I first was advised to do this I was worried about losing stuff in the filters but that is not the case. I just had my highest return of 23% and I had a good inch and a half of coffee filters in the open end.

Ok thanks man. Do you have a particular way you like to fold them? Or do you just bunch them up in there?

6. Try to stuff them as evenly as possible (minimal air space), just like your material.

7. Cool cool!

I'll get on with that this evening then probably! Thanks for your help man.

I did a run today. Got about as much as I would've expected from what the trim quality and amount was.

It's very nice to smoke though!

Saved all the trim and I'm going to break it up a bit finer and do another run tomorrow OR I might just see what kind of QWISO comes of it... I looked at it under a microscope and it looks like it could still have quite a bit of extractable stuff. I think it might also have needed to be a little more compact