Going To A Headshop Instead

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Jesse Botwin, May 14, 2014.

1. gbt34 are you paying attention here?

2. There is less deniability when you say bong because bong is such a common mj term.  So while I agree that bong can be used to mean a "tobacco bong", nobody says that, and the common understood definition of bong is that it is a water pipe for smoking pot.  And the fact that the term is almost always used in that context can be used in the court of law.

Not that it matters, I'll continue to say water pipe and shop in stores, you can say bongs and get kicked out of stores.

3. #43 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014

I won't get kicked out of my local smokeshop, atleast one of the owners calls them bongs.

4. I have never watched my language in a headshop. The employees have, but I have never. My LHS merchant knows I blaze weed and i don't give a fuck. I walk in the place wearing a "legalize weed" t-shirt. Fuck what people think.

5. I was in a hs a few months ago looking for a new piece, I noticed there was no bongs so I asked "hey where do you keep the water pipes? "
    "waterpipes? You mean bongs right? They're all out the back now "
    Had a good laugh over that one, especially considering I thought bong was taboo in headshops as well, turns out most customers do indeed call them bongs as well, according to the employee anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

6. #46 gbt34, May 17, 2014

LOL, oh how I wish what you saying held any water.  YES we are agreeing that SHOULD be the case..... historically and realistically it's not.... What experience do you have in this field? Please again, go ask your local head shop to fill you in since all of us are just idiots in your eyes.

Headshops have in fact been shut down for this very issue, so that fact right there makes your whole point moot.

yes, we love your interpretation of the law, however LAW ENFORCEMENT (the people who's opinion of what the law means matters) would disagree with you.

fact is, it's just a respect thing to the headshops.  This is not a new issue, nor will your interpretation change history or the facts. Though like i said, i wish it could.

edit:  While i was dropping off some goodies to the local head shop today we did have a good laugh about this. We all agreed it's totally BS but it's just how it is. With current times though i do agree it is becoming more relaxed.

7. #47 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

Even though I just clearly explained the law to you, doesn't take a field expert to read English. The pipe is not being marketed in the shop as a "cannabis bong" it's being sold as a bong, water pipe, whatever. As long as it is not designated for marijuana use, whatever someone calls the smoking device matters not.

You would not be able to cite one incident where a headshop was shut down specifically for calling their water pipes "bongs."

8. #48 gbt34, May 17, 2014

*facepalm* as much as i'd love to adhere to your interpretation of the law  What you feel it means does not matter, It's how law enforcement sees it and historically your just wrong. Again, I hate to say that

There are a NUMBER of headshops who have been shut down for marketing things under the federal specified definition of "paraphernalia"  One of those "no no's" is marketing stuff as "bongs" because AGAIN the law enforcement interpretation of a bong is to use with marijuana.  The police don't believe in "tobacco bongs"

If a law enforcement officer were to dress plain clothes, walk into a head shop and ask for a "bong" and the employee handed him a zob or something then that shop can very well be shut down. It has happened in the past i'm not here to give you a history lesson. 

especially because I wonder if you're old enough to be placed in one of these scenarios. Happy toking!  

Matter of fact, take up your explanation of the law to the federal gov't, i'll be right there rooting for ya! I agree with you man... but what you say just has not proven true thus far historically for head shops/distributors/glass companies.

9. #49 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

You're speaking on pure hypothetical situations in which you believe yourself to be correct, which you aren't. Your theory would hold true if the officer asked for a marijuana bong, or something to smoke marijuana out of.

Your hypothetical sting operation wouldn't even get to court because the piece was not designated for cannabis use, it was simply called a bong which means nothing.

I'm confident to bet that you have never seen a shop closed because he sold a "bong." 

10. #50 gbt34, May 17, 2014

Federal interpretation of the law is that the word "bong" implies marijuana use, please go ask your local headshop if you need more info kid.

You're speaking on what you think federal law means and you believe yourself to be correct, which you aren't

Im confident to be your not old enough to be allowed in a shop, So i won't further this explanation.. This is an industry i work in, i'm not just saying this to you because im "confident" it's the facts.

11. #51 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

You couldn't cite that claim if you tried. In fact, the law from the .gov website that was posted directly contradicts your claim, "a newly purchased water pipe may not be considered a marijuana bong unless it has drug residue or is sold explicitly as a marijuana bong." unfortunately you are incorrect. Also, you're stuck on my age for no reason.

12. #52 gbt34, May 17, 2014

I'm stuck on your age because your interpretation makes sense, it's in fact what we all feel the law should be. But fact is there's a good reason why headshops don't just have "bong shop" as a name or  it's not called "Hitman Bongs" or "zob bongs" 

What your saying makes sense yes, but it does not hold true to reality. AGAIN please just go ask a local american headshop. 

I'm not mad at you for being born later or anything, i'm just saying it's clear you haven't any real world experience with this stuff.

I shouldn't need to cite my claims because they are common knowledge in the headshop world, Can you show me any smoke shops in america who market their pipes as "bongs" or any glass companies who use the word anywhere in their descriptions??? their is a reason why, and it's probably older than you.

I was born in 1993, I'm a 20 year old adult, so that's out the window your your real world experience claim. Also re read my post, I just schooled you more on your own fallacy.

14. #54 gbt34, May 17, 2014

LOL 1993!!!! i'm dead.  so you have a whopping 2 years of experience in the subject matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bong

There's a simple wikipedia for ya, Look under "Legality"

beyond that. I won't beat a dead horse.

oh, just read your "schooling me" 

your verbage in that quote proves my point "a newly purchased WATER PIPE may not be considered a marijuana bong unless sold explicitly as a bong"

Right there you just shoved your own foot in your mouth. You're right, a "water pipe" is not paraphernalia , a "bong" is.  Thanks for proving my point buddy, my job is done here.

15. #55 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

You just linked a cite that says exactly what I said. The word bong is a legal term, but headshop owners don't use it because they are ignorant of the law. You should read your own links "While technically 'bong' does not mean a device used for smoking mainly marijuana"

16. #56 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

It doesn't take years to be able to interpret laws, it just takes common sense, which is something you seem to be short on in the matter?

17. #57 gbt34, May 17, 2014
     Bro your quote pretty much proved my whole point " a WATER PIPE" is not paraphernalia unless sold as a "bong" " 

My reference clearly even says
      "While technically 'bong' does not mean a device used for smoking mainly marijuana, drug-related connotations have been formed with the word itself (partly due to punning with Sanskrit bhangah "hemp"). Thus for fear of the law many head shops will not serve customers who use the word "bong" or "bongs", or any other word typically associated with illegal drug use.<sup>[12]"</sup>

Nice try taking it out of context though buddy.

18. #58 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

Where do you see that line in the article? Do you not know how to read? Where do you even see the word water pipe? Just admit you are wrong dude LOL because now you just look stupid.

19. #59 gbt34, May 17, 2014

Right here you say "A newly purchase WATER PIPE may not be considered a bong unless sold explicitally as a bong" 

What's hard to see? you just proved my point

The feds don't care about your word play games kiddo. Sorry.

A newly purchased water pipe may not be considered a MARIJUANA BONG. Read correctly dude. Marijuana bong for sale would be illegal, bong is not an illegal term.