Going To A Headshop Instead

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Jesse Botwin, May 14, 2014.

1. #21 Lazyboy808, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
    bong = glass, tube, piece, rig, water pipe
    bowl = slide
    Weed/marijuana = flower
    oil/wax = concentrate

spending $100 at a LHS won't get you much, definitely not a tube and an ashcatcher. It can either get you a decent worked dry pipe or a single/double chamber bubbler. If you're looking at a tube it'll probably be a clear straight shot or a beaker bottom, most likely a knock off Roor or some unknown local brand.

By flea market you mean those Arabic smoke shops that sells china glass? I'm sure you can find a tube and a/c in those stores but it probably wont last you a year unless you take extreme care of it. If you ever held a china glass and borosilicate glass side by side you will immediately notice the difference. China glass often has dirt & dust in them making it look foggy and cloudy and of course thin and fragile. China glass often comes in cheap looking transparent color like the flaming skull tube you showed us (in fact I think blackleaf is china glass). If you're on a budget and if you really want a tube and an a/c then you should go for it. But if I were you i'd go with an american tube that's sturdy.

I'd go check out ssfg and buy their straight shot or beaker bottom with their showerhead downstem. If you want to know which brand is reputable just simply go on google and research about their glass and costumer reviews like you would on any product you buy.

2. #22 Sweendog, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
    Yeah I mean a lot of the times you can get away with stuff but you should never try the first time. I almost bought oil off the girl at my LHS, she also doesn't work there anymore so maybe she got too lax lol. Even then I still called everything by the correct names with a slip every once and awhile. I bet they have cameras and you never know when they can get audio.

I personally call them tubes anyway, I don't really like bong.

Don't mean to be rude but you couldn't be more wrong.  Though most headshops are laid back the law is the law and they can lose their business very quickly from not using the proper terms.  Any decent headshop will generally only tolerate the "b word" once and you're bounced. If any at all.   

Until the laws change saying bong is not fine in your local American smoke shop, at least if you respect the establishment.

Dumbest thing I've read. It's called freedom of speech. Calling something a bong is not illegal, shaking my fucking head.

5. Then they can just look at you and be like "what? We dont sell those."

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Or they can say "Yeah man this bong rips!"

7. More than likely not lol.

People act like we live in fucking 1942 Nazi Germany, it's rather aggravating. 

9. I live where cannabis is classified as a schedule 1 narcotic. Where are you from?

Bong =/= cannabis   bong=water pipe

11. #31 gbt34, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014

Dumbest thing you've read? I'm guessing your maybe 15-16 and have no clue as to why hundreds of smoke shops are shut down across America all the time??

Calling something a bong admits that it's "drug paraphernalia"  and a retail store is not legally allowed to sell "drug paraphernalia"

Shall I do the rest of the math for you or do you get it now??

Not saying it's fair, logical or anything to that extent but unlike you I happen to speak from experience not what " i think is right"

i'm gonna make another leaping guess and say you have zero related industry experience, and are simply speaking from the standpoint of a consumer. And yeah, it's bs. But it's still the law and if you wanna conduct business in American you follow the law.

12. lol okay. You keep saying bongs in places. Ill just continue being respectful to my local shops.

13. #33 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

And you are a retailer? Until you show me proof of this "admission" I'll continue to call BS.

14. #34 gbt34, May 17, 2014

Ding ding ding..... That I am.

you can't "call bs" on a federal law that every smoke shop is well aware of.... this is not a matter of your opinion....  Sadly it's fact.

If you don't believe me, go into your local American headshop and ask....

15. Well, the law has a problem with shops selling paraphernalia and idiotic as they may be, they can still shut a shop down.   These owners have thousands invested in their business, to get shut down and all their inventory taken could force them into bankruptcy.  So yeah...there is that. 

Hmmm, kick out some kid who can't substitute the word waterpipe for bong, or risk losing my business, getting fined a fuck load, going bankrupt and losing my livelihood?  Hmmm tough decision there.

16. Lol at return fire.

I don't get why people don't understand that the letter of the law is the letter of the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/863

And back to returnfire's post about freedom of speech, people misinterpret this all the time and thinks it means, there should be no consequences for anything I say.  You do have the freedom of speech and you can go into a shop and say bong (you can't be arrested for that), you are also on private property and they have every right to kick you out for no reason whatsoever.  You do not have the right to be in that shop, that is a privilege that the owners of the property are allowing you.  If I'm a guest in your house, sure I can say you're a moron, I have that freedom of speech, but I would assume you'd kick my ass out if I was a dick like that, and you'd be well within your rights to do that.

Your lack of understanding of the law is appalling.  Anyone involved in this stuff should at least have a basic understanding for their own protection.

17. #37 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

I won't take what you say as fact until you cite the federal law that states that the word bong labels something as drug paraphernalia, which it does not. I can't find it. Seems like you misinterpreted a law somewhere along the line.

Nothing there says that the word bong is illegal or makes something drug paraphernalia. 

19. #39 mogwi411, May 17, 2014
    number 12 under section D

Also from findlaw

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/drug-possession-overview.html
    Drug Paraphernalia Included within Possession Crimes Drug possession laws also prohibit paraphernalia such as syringes, crack pipes or bongs. The Federal Drug Paraphernalia Statute defines what constitutes drug paraphernalia but usually hinges on a determination of primary use. For example, a newly purchased water pipe may not be considered a marijuana bong unless it has drug residue or is sold explicitly as a marijuana bong. Laws also exist to restrict the possession of certain chemicals or materials commonly used in the cultivation or manufacturing of drugs, such as the laboratory equipment used to make methamphetamine. - See more at: http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/drug-possession-overview.html#sthash.vhB66XHN.dpuf

and
    http://dcist.com/2011/11/if_you_walked_into_what.php#photo-1

It's not just the word bong or waterpipe, but rather, a shop has to be able to have a somewhat reasonable deniability.  It's why most headshops get tobacco licenses (of course the pipes are for tobacco, we sell tobacco).  A bong pretty much means marijuana water pipe, and destroys any kind of credible deniability for the shop owner.

It's a lot easier to just say waterpipe than to change all these laws.

20. #40 ReturnFire333, May 17, 2014

Says nothing about not being able to be called a bong, it can not be deemed a "marijuana bong" or sold as a marijuana bong. Bong is a generic term. Notice the statement "usually hinges on a determination of primary use"

Going to the shop and saying "Hey can I buy this marijuana bong" could cause the shop owner problems if he sold it as a marijuana bong, asking to buy a bong can not cause problems. It could be a tobacco bong just as much as it could be a cannabis bong.