First Socal Medical Grow, First Od, And First Organic In Beautiful Socal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by sprkn1, May 13, 2014.

1. Almost 24 hours on the line.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409323618.270719.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409323638.320195.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409323654.654780.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409323666.705627.jpg

Finding a better way to get this trim, chop and manicure done. I mean that as in what's efficient in my space. Went MrSil's route and did it in the sala tv and everything. Lights out with window covers, the house was relatively dark, no direct light as is evident with that horrible manicure job I did lol. Will be getting some surgical grade scissors to finish up the manicure when it's done dried and cured. Saving the trimmings and letting them dry out as well. Planning to either make some hash, wax or edibles with em, haven't really decided yet, but will be mixing all the trim and popcorn nugs together get some decent weight together.

Will be following Brass and MrSil closely and try to mirror their methods as best as possible.

•• Chicago Original ••
    -CA Prop215 & SB420 compliant-

SparknOne's NorthCounty SD OD Organic Grow

SparkNOne's Tactically Required Knowledge

2. I think I have about 6 sets of assorted scissors I get out when I have extra trimming help.. Everybody has their own favorite pair it seems.. Me I use a standard pair of paper-school scissors.. Mr. S likes my Fiskar Multi edged.. Mr. J likes the tiny tipped large handle pair.. Some I got at HD others at the hydro store still others came from the fabric-sewing place next to the hydro store.. LOL
    Yesterday I set up a board over sawhorses in the yard under the shade tree for our trim session.. To hot inside and it doesn't seem to hurt finished quality.. The garage where they hang is not completely dark as the cloner is in there and does have some CFL overspill..

3. Haha all I know is i'm getting some help for next time, hand hurting like a motherfucker today.

Also I wanted to ask because i'm putting an order in today. Now funds are tight with rent and other bills due on the first, so i'm buying small quantities for now and wanted to purchase online opposed to going to the hydro shop. I've seen the way they store their boveda packs, i'm not entirely confident in them preserving the quality. I wanted to save some money as I cant purchase a large amount of the 60g, I was thinking of using 2 medium 8g 62% medium packs for each 1/2 gallon container. I'm getting a six pack from Ace, which would make it perfect at 2 for each jar. I was planning to put one in the bottom and one at the top, since it was rated at 1 quart, I figured 2 for 2 quarts (1/2gal) would work just as well as having just one large 60g pack at the top. lol even going with analog hygrometers cause theyre a lot cheaper. 25 for a caliber hygrometer? with bovedas and hygrometer, it should be like mrsilly said, fool proof right? lol I'm hoping so.

4. http://www.greenerhydroponics.com/Mondi-Mini-Greenhouse-Thermo-Hygrometer-_p_77644.html

I've got 4 of this brand and I'm very happy with them All read within 4 points of each other.. My local Hydro store stocks them for about 16 bucks.. I use my local hydro store for about 1/3 of my general supplies.. Pots I get there.. Rock wool cloning cubes.. Cloning gel.. EWC..
    He will usually match online prices or come close enough that once you add shipping to online prices he's right in the ball park.. Plus it's nice to have a local source I just stop in and grab what I need..

The small Boveda packs should work OK as they are just insurance in the jar.. If you've got your product stabilized at 62 % before final jarring the packs don't have much to do.. You can cure without them just fine it makes the process a bit more foolproof is all..

5. #105 sprkn1, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Cool, thanks Brass. My hydro shop has boveda packs in stock, but they aren't individually wrapped, so I'm a little worried about the products integrity. Just read the reviews online on Amazon and the customers are complaining about it not being wrapped as well. So probably going to go with the hydro shop for now, later on I plan on purchasing a brick online as I'll need more. I'll also see if they're willing to match price on a hygrometer. Really just wanted a cheap analog one, I saw some really cheap ones on amazon for about 3 bucks each. And digital ones for around 7. If I can get em close to the price, that's alight with me.

••••••

Sprayed the garden down today with spinosad and will hit them with GC tom. Will be letting the soil dry out today. It's been very humid at nights and with a sharp drop in high noon, figured I can take advantage of this and let the girls dry out over the next few days without stressing them too much. Hoping to encourage some trich growth.

Mothers
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409413481.971944.jpg
    I plan on topping the (L.) blackberry and black diamond kush. Still in transition to veg from flower. Topping might give them that switch up in hormones so they get back into veg mode, worked well for the GDP and Herijuana, going to wait til it's just a little taller cause I will try and save the cuts to clone.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409413750.508400.jpg
    Herijuana cutting that just went outside to start flowering.

R. GDP and BlackDiamond on deck. Will get planted when smarties free up.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409413996.979230.jpg
    L. Chicago Kush cuttings, future mothers. If these fail and die on me, will try to reveg CK lady after harvest.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414304.593731.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414320.828983.jpg
    Gave the Cheese a trim, and removed some of the smaller branches and very airy bud sites. Too crowded in some areas and thought it best to consolidate energy to a few of the larger colas. Was able to get some seeds. Not sure if they're ready yet, since they a little bit more green instead of brown, only one seems to be ready so hoping to get some mature seeds after harvest. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414595.618398.jpg

Chicago Kush
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414676.008668.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414704.845878.jpg

GDP - still waiting on that purple! Healthy tho, and still doing good, has another week at least. Maybe even go as long as another 3 weeks.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414800.919288.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414887.976515.jpg

Black Diamond
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414906.528032.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414916.397305.jpg

Black Berry
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414935.997282.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414946.398367.jpg

Herijuana - about 2 weeks into flower and looking nice already.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414960.582754.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409414969.033424.jpg

Lemon Cucumber finally getting some good cover going. Going to have to reinforce the shit out of the buckets, planning to utilize tomato cages. Cucumbers coming in as well.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409415106.028395.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409415213.705772.jpg

Overall the garden is looking healthy. Had to spray spinosad cause white flies were chewing up the Herijuana. Figured get the rest if the garden in, especially focused on the tomatoes and cucumber. When my numbers are down to 2-3 flowering girls after I chop the rest of the girls in the following month, I'll be taking them inside and after cleaning, spraying the entire balcony down with neem oil mixed with some garlic oil I'll mix up. Have a bunch of garlic cloves that I haven't used for cooking yet that I can utilize. I'm hoping in doing so, it'll help repel pests. Got new spinach seedlings going outside, and I'd rather they not be mauled by caterpillars and the like. I just have too many girls around to bring everyone of em inside to do it now. I also need to get another sprayer to use just for oils to handle contamination issues.

•• Chicago Original ••

6. Sweet deal! Everything is looking great for you. I am also swooping on all knowledge from them two. Seems like very smart and technical growers. Thats what we are aiming for right? To be the best at what we do. Happy growing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Yea it is, shit I think everyone needs to apply that philosophy a little more often in their lives. We don't get the results we want unless we put in the work for it, especially when growing.

•• Chicago Original ••

8. I'll be getting those same hygrometer s my hydro shop also has them for $15 and change thank you guys for all of you knowledge and useful tips...

9. Spark don't you just love when it all comes together good job so far with this harvest I'm a few weeks behind you so this one for you is gonna help me out greatly slowly getting what I'll need for the cut...I'm gonna try just putting a cardboard box over for the 36hrs of dark before the cut and dry out slowly prior to cut thank you for keeping us posted... Keep it growing,two green thumbs up!

10. •••
    Chicago Kush developed some dead spots. Flushed so I can take the first harvest of the top colas. Also flushed the Blackberry and Black Diamond, taking the first chop a day, one after the other. Something I missed to check for, so also pulling the blackberry and black diamond instead of waiting another ~14 days.

Chicago Kush - tip of colas have cloudy trichs all around. So she'll be good to pull in a few days after she dries out.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455172.777701.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455186.611458.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455208.829374.jpg

Black Diamond
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455369.293197.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455379.094088.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455390.628276.jpg

Blackberry
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455479.802792.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455493.924145.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455530.723680.jpg

2nd chop of GDP after the 3 go down.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455707.107052.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455804.480514.jpg

Blue Cheese coming down next week, going to be the last of the girls to get chopped.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455850.617372.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455863.334975.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410455874.002698.jpg

2nd chops will come about a week or so after first. The remaining nugs will be allowed to amber up much more. So I'll have some for couch lock, pain relief super high and cerebral high. A lot of what I read says THC is highest when trichs are cloudy. CBD rises significantly after amber hues are seen. Degradation follows soon afterwards. I'll have a better sense of time frames after the 2nd and 3rd runs with these strains.

•• Chicago Original ••

Attached Files:

11. Yea man I really can't help but smile, nice sense of accomplishment as well. It was a good first run, IMHO, learnt a lot and will have this knowledge on hand for future runs. I see things getting much better. Definitely do dry em out prior to chopping. It helps a lot with that smell we all dread. I'm betting the GDP I chopped will get it's smell back a lot quicker opposed to the SLH. I can confirm in about a week or two. I'm really trying to slow the dry down so I'm seeing if I can stretch to to 4 days on the line before taking down and putting into the jars. Even slow the drop of RH further, leaving them inside the jars instead of laying them out when RH hits 70%. I was still taking it out of the jar til RH was reading 65, then switched to just leaving the cap open. This is all done in a wooden cabinet, when closed, humidity never drops below 60 and can get as high as 70 prior to the cabinet being burped. So with all this, it was still a slow dry, but going to slow it down further.

•• Chicago Original ••

12. Hey there brother spark, I've been asking around an have learned that mixing spinosad and green cure potentially cuts down the effectiveness of the spinosad as it has some live components I seem to rember you mentioning something like you were mixing the two if so just wanted to share what I've found out...in two weeks my haz-c x XXX dubba and Haz-c x skywalker seeds should be ready for harvest...i'm stoked bro

13. Appreciate the heads up bro. I stopped doing that, actually thought it was affecting the GC instead of the spinosad. I spray them separately now.

I feel tempted to try and pop some beans that I just got from the garden. Maybe find that holy grail of strains kind of deal, lol if we can be so lucky at least. I'm thinking of waiting til next year when I'm in a new place with a yard space. Restricted space and light is a bitch cause of how much it hinders you. But I'm still happy of what I'm able to accomplish with what I have.

•• Chicago Original ••

14. #114 mrsilly, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    Spark your killin it.

Picked up the cheap hygrometers on EBay. I think $1.18 per? Put them in a zip lock bag with the good one. They were all acceptable. There was one grossly off most were really good. Bought a cheapy digital one from China works great. When I gift my realitives or friends with a jar of conusure it always comes with one of the hygrometers and a Boveda. I would
    post a link however, the EBay app won't
    let me copy.
    [​IMG]

Don't worry about those Boveda packs drying out. They can be reactivated easily.

Want to clarify We don't trim under low light. We get comfortable with drinks, snacks in front of the tv so we are comfortable as we know we will be there for hours trimming. As soon as they are done they go in a dark closet. Sorry if there was a mis-understanding.

The closet with Herijuana in it! So frosty and purplisious!
    [​IMG]

CK looks amazing, looking forward to a smoke
    Report.

The GDP will purp up if we get a few cool nights.

The outdoor Herijuana is purping up..... No purple on the Purple Kush though so gonna try a different strain. Had this one PK that was so beautiful turned almost Black. The breeder told me it was Purple Bubba Kush.... Not GDP x with OG but Bubba Kush x GDP? Still looking lol...

url="http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/mrdragonrider/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5DA06AD0-CAB1-46F8-81D2-3B4B145BD0D8_zps3rc28jxg.jpg.html"][​IMG][/url]

Found the pic hope to find the strain

15. #115 mrsilly, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    You guys a right there is nothing like harvest!!!'

Have not tried this cause I subscribe to KIS as much as possible. My most valuable asset time is taken by survival..... You know that four letter word many of us hate. If I had more time defiantly would be experimenting. That said, know some growers that chop the plant at the base and put it in a 5gal filled with RO for a day or two. The organic farmers version of a flush. What they found was the plant full of water dried slower? Like I said never tried.

Love to hear how the pre dry works! Let us know with final smoke report.

16. I chopped the GDP on the 9th. It spent 4 days hanging to dry and was jarred up. Today it's around 67-72% RH and is dry enough to smoke. Tasted pretty good, can't wait til it's done with a cure. Hoping to get a decent smoke sample with a light cure by the end of the month.

It seems like it had less water to begin with, helping with the wet grass smell. Smell seems to be getting better and stronger, no more wet grass smell. I think I'm doing a better job with the GDP than I did with the SLH. I'm getting a new digital hygrometer tomorrow in the mail and large boveda packs which will help.

•• Chicago Original ••

17. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411071463.784335.jpg
    From left. GDP 42g, black diamond 49g, black berry 52g and SLH 20g left out of about 80 lol. Not bad, actually glad to have harvested some early. Found out my uncle is doing bad, suffering from ALS and now fighting renal failure due to the complications. Fixing up a batch of some cannabis oil doing a nug and trim run to make it extra strong. Finally got my mom to agree to talking to my auntie about it to discuss with my uncle so I'm planning a visit to Phoenix when I get my stuff together and made.

•• Chicago Original ••

18. that makes your take that much more gratifying id say, like Mr. S the people we help more so than our own meds is our greatest reward, until society gets its head out of its ass and takes care of its own!...

19. Wow impressive thread!!! I enjoyed viewing it! Thanks for posting :)

20. falling down, if im not mistaken... Great flick IMO!