First Socal Medical Grow, First Od, And First Organic In Beautiful Socal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by sprkn1, May 13, 2014.

1. #61 sprkn1, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  2. I don't know how long it takes from the first sign of nanners to them splitting open and pollinating but I definitely would not feel comfortable with 13 days of not being there. I've heard it can take just a couple days but I'm really not sure. What I do know though is all my females showed signs first. I just found one today that developed a lot of nanners overnight. A day or two before there were just preflowers. I was surprised how fast they popped up. And I'm betting by the looks that it's a male. I could be completely wrong with everything I just said but that's my advice. I would at least separate that male in a room with something to collect the pollen while youre gone. Hopefully someone else can chime in

3. Thanks man, yea I'm thinking it's a male too. What I meant with the 13 days was i was wondering if I had til 13 days. I won't be gone for that long, actually just for 6 days, 5 if it's not including the days I'm traveling cause I get in early enough. I'm leaving on the 5th of Aug for a trip. That's the period I was most concerned with as I won't be home. Regardless I'll still probably just take him indoors and put him by a window sill.

•• Chicago Original ••
    -CA Prop215 & SB420 compliant-

SparknOne's NorthCounty SD OD Organic Grow

SparkNOne's Tactically Required Knowledge

4. Nanners and balls are two different expressions of male parts.

Nanners usually come at late flower and sometime don't even open.

These can pollinate and give your buds those crappy half done seeds, that are impossible to squeeze out.

Some strains are prone to them.  They are found in small tight clusters that look like a "bunch of bananas".

They are considered hermaphrodites and are not the greatest strains to use for breeding.

Balls however show at the beginning of flower on true males.

They look like a cluster of grapes and burst out with chains of balls that open rather quickly.

5. @[member="sitnspin420"] cool, thanks for the detailed description spin. this is actually my first possible male i'll ever be dealing with. Haha i considered myself lucky with the beans and ladies i've had in the past, plus thats why i always liked cloning.

with what you just told me i'll have a better idea of what I'm really looking for. if this ends up being one of those hermaphroditic males/females they definitely getting chopped as i have no use for those in my garden. need a solid male with no evident genetic or environmental defect such as that for the breeding program i'm trying to kick off. with the rocky start of the garden, (not doing a water only soil mix) i've learned my lesson to slooow things down significantly when needed in order to achieve the results that i'm looking for with the least amount of headache.

6. My bad! You're definitely right
    Sorry for the misguided info. I just have a bad habit of using that term when talking about males. I did not know the exact details of them until you're explanation. I just knew only the males had them
    Thanks for the correction

7. Glad to help out fellas.  I've had my share of males...  lol.

What you look for in a good breeding male is, to be a fast show of sex, and a hollow main stem, and smell, in that order.

I hope I remembered that right?  doh!

8. its definitely got the last two, hollow stem and the smell thats really close to the herijuana when its stem is rubbed. best way for me to describe the smell as i can't really put it in other words. thats the main reason why i thought it would be a good male and the potential size and good branching ability for scrogs or lst. that plus the cross of super silver haze with a raved about indica seems like a pretty dope mix to me. so its been almost a week, i'll see and read up some more to get an idea of what to expect. 

9. Like you said if all else fails put her indoors for your trips duration.

10. Liking this rain right now. Been going on and off since this morning. Will spray some spinosad and green cure later this evening to help fight off any mold as well as to replace the spinosad that's being washed away by the rain.

Also gave the ladies a light watering with sea emulsions @ 20ml 0-10-10, 10ml calmag 1-0-0, 10ml of 5-1-1. Veg buckets also got some, each container getting approx .1/6th of a gal.

Mothers got 15ml of 5-1-1 fish emulsions. Both ratios mixed with 1.25 gal of water.

•• Chicago Original ••

11. I wish it would just fucking rain... for at least 4 days!

We just got a light sprinkle during the morning and afternoon.  I want more.  lol.

12. Haha honestly I wish it rains like this during the week when I'm gone. I wouldn't have minded it, but I was trying to spray green cure and spinosad. So I could spray BT early AM on Monday prior to my trip. Now I have to wait cause it's still raining where I'm at. Been raining on and off since it started.

•• Chicago Original ••

13. you ever get interested in a super concentrated liquid form of that product check out microbe lift brand liquid BT. It takes three drops to treat sixty gallons of water with the bacteria. I haven't had fungus gnats since. Those dunks work well too, crushed and mixed with your water I noticed they were most effective

14. Thanks boss, I'll take a look at em when I think of adding the compost to the soil. As for now I'll let the little critters eat up the dead organic matter to help keep enriching the mix.

•• Chicago Original ••

15. Was directed at Brass actually. BT won't kill any beneficial microbiology in your soil just a fyi

16. Ladies looked fine after I got home yesterday, just looked thirsty. Perked right back up today. These shots are from yesterday a few minutes after they got some water. Then posting shots today.

Herijuana
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858219.989436.jpg
    SLH
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858257.158821.jpg
    Cheese
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858275.727741.jpg
    GDP
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858288.362147.jpg
    Chicago Kush
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858332.048926.jpg
    Blackberry Kush
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858371.250776.jpg
    Black Diamond Kush
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858402.269944.jpg
    Mothers & clones
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858781.994442.jpg

Wonder Haze a confirmed male, grew some pollen sacks while I was gone.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858545.722318.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858558.723410.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858570.493363.jpg

Plan to collect pollen and dust some of the lower branches of the CK and the Herijuana.

Here are pictures of them today, after a little bit of work (pulling dead and yellowing leaves, checking for pests and damage as well as for any deficiencies.

SLH - really starting to fatten up, appreciating the indica traits with the tight nodes and density. The smell is amazing with a lemon, citrus scent mixed with a little skunk in between. really sticky and frosty.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858927.621344.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858937.155453.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407858948.989733.jpg

Cheese - coming along nicely. Finely starting to form some buds and the really sticky and frost early on. This stuff is stickier than the SLH that it's ridiculous. During the week she got the most sun and it shows cause she still put on decent growth.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859010.180217.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859020.862724.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859034.615683.jpg
    Pulled this off of it today. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859077.635586.jpg

GDP - it was lanky at first, but the winds here on the balcony whipped that into decent shape. Hasn't shown any signs of breaking, but will keep an eye on it. Forming nice and tight little nugs. Probably will put some stakes up after a couple weeks.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859812.313353.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859824.932287.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407859846.067408.jpg

Chicago Kush - this is probably the stickiest plant I got right now. Definitely up there with the blackberry and the black diamond. It's forming some fat nugs, decently sized.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860200.791379.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860215.892618.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860225.960353.jpg

Blackberry Kush - amazing smell, just like straight up berries. Like I said top 3 so far, was technically behind the SLH and cheese. But these kushes are blowing em out the water.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860459.313342.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860469.414309.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860499.402273.jpg

Last but not least of the flowering ladies, probably the best out of the top 3. Black Diamond Kush - pictures can speak for themselves with these three and it says a lot about this lady right here. Personally i prefer the blackberry's really fruity berry scent to it, this ones matches the CK more having more of chemdawg almost lemony chemically cleaner smell. Haha best way I can describe it.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860796.041694.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860804.659293.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860812.576668.jpg

•• Chicago Original ••

17. Post continued....

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860883.882597.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407860893.266892.jpg

Here's the Herijuana starting to pre flower, loving the fact that it'll be a harvest after I chop most if not everything already and get a clone going underway to throw outside.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407861165.964349.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407861177.632009.jpg

Vegetable garden actually took the worst damage. Which I'm ok with, not as costly or time consuming. Still harvest enough tomatoes later. Will spray later this evening with some BT. Then Spinosad in the evening. Seeing a little bit more pests and it's having me kind of uneasy. Especially since I'll be getting a tent soon and having the mothers indoors 24/7. Don't need shit crawling around the house lol. Ladies are getting some nutes today, same high p and k mix with cal mag. Going to be giving them a good soaking today after that week long "drought" hopefully they take up these nutes.

Did a little experiment and fed the caterpillar I caught a last week a leaf from a BT treated cannabis plant. Took a week, but the damage the poop and the chewing it does still remains this worries me as I found a little tiny baby caterpillar barely longer that an 1/8th of an inch crawling around on my hand after handling the vegetable buckets. So I'm doing a double dose of BT and spinosad this week. I'm guessing due to the tomatoes and the cucumbers flowering now it's really caused an influx of pests. Rational explanation so will treat accordingly.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407861631.453884.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407861648.205089.jpg

Good to be back home with the ladies in good health. Peace SoCal.

•• Chicago Original ••

18. Sparky welcome back my friend hope the trip was good, your garden looks amazing, I guess after wave going to Paris and seeing his garden after a week, and seeing yours after a week of being gone I've determined I need to leave my garden for a week and upon return it should look amazing too?...LOL

19. Thanks bro, yea maybe?!? I know letting em dry out decently the past week really didn't do any damage, or being in the shade for that matter. IMO these ladies look frostier and stankier than when I left em last week. I'm not saying neglect your plants, but I do see something in that drying out your plants while flowering. Going to do it again in about 3 weeks just. Water heavy and feed again and then do a final flush with just water for the remaining 2 weeks prior to them going through chop. The pests tho, honestly only thing that concerned me, but I didn't see any damage done so that treatment before I left did it's job.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407867758.650478.jpg
    Here's a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza from Art of Pizza, one of the best spots in the north side to grab some.

Got more pics I'll post up when my lady and I swap pics we took. She took most of the food pics lol, never really got that I just love eating lol.

Here's a shot of the skyline tho at my favorite smoking spot by the Adler planetarium.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407867920.046443.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407867970.367612.jpg

•• Chicago Original ••

20. I love pizza, but that's some PIZZA...serious LITFA! I think its also not looking at them every day as well...I ve had all of my girls in partial shade since the heat wave I didn't move them back because they love it 2 1/2 hr's in am and from 4 till sunset they have direct light and mid day they get filtered light through my big pine...