Junior Mods

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by 4shotmark, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #41 4shotmark, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014

I made a thread in October suggesting a simple and fun user run Posty Awards and it was ignored. Not even that good of an idea, but I could go on for days about some of the very easy changes we could make. You keep putting scare quotes to around "massive" to cherry pick my argument. How about "Feasible" or "fun" or "realistic" or "small but numerous and advantageous"? I think we need merge many of the unused sub forums, revamp the stickies with helpful tutorials, have fun forum competitions, add a concentrate section. I really could go for a while listing really doable ideas. Being close minded to the opinions of those who love GC is a great way to nosedive further.  :confused_2: 

I am not even saying for shitty threads. I'm saying blatant spam and drug talk, gun phtotos, extreme bullying and mudslinging, trolling,  etc. And repeat threads and the classic "I didn't search" thread. If it had to do with controversial issue , it needs to be brought up to a full moderator. The volunteer and elected forum submods or whatever you want to call them slip up once? They lose privilege. :ey: 

I am really not going to elaborate on my ideas or suggestions because there is no way Lizard King et al would even think of considering my idea or any variant of it even if they believed it to be a better idea. He said no. At this thread point it's an exercise in futility. 

2. ^^

what makes you think GC is in a nosedive?

and i use "massive changes" because that's what you said.. i didn't make it up dude :)

not trying to pick a fight.. i just don't understand what's so bad lol..

also just curious.. do you purchase from the GC shop at all?

3. @[member="4shotmark"] You are absolutely wrong that we don't listen ideas posted by members. 

We always evaluate all supplied feedbacks and discuss on them. However implementing any idea to a big board like Grasscity is not that easy.  

Please try not to make false judgements.

4. #44 4shotmark, May 13, 2014
    It is what I said. (Unfortunately) And like I also said, you cherry picked a single word rather than my actual points. You are being really defensive when I'm hardly being critical. I don't know how many times I've stated that I love GC in this thread. Had I said "useful" changes you wouldn't have busted my balls over word choice, haha.

I have purchased an EHLE from here long ago, but I'm no longer interested in anything they have on their site, especially when if I want scientific I have an amazing LHS right down the road with better selection and no shipping.

You might not be trying to pick a fight but you are trying to paint a picture like I don't smoke or don't enjoy weed culture and are trying to use this as an argument to invalidate my OP.

Would you like to cam up online and smoke with me August West? Want to see some jars full of pot? Want to see my Hitman or my Illadelph? I cam up and smoke with a lot of GC members and all of them would vouch not only for my love of pot, but also this forum. Add me on Skype: fourshotmark. I'm sure you have some really amazing stories and I'd love to hear some of your stories of growing and toking all these years.

I never actually said that. Please try not to put words in my mouth.

It's obviously not about how easy it is if you're going to be working on coding your idea for almost a year... It should be about what will benefit GC the most by making the easiest changes. There is no way your system is going to be easy to implement by any means, so that whole point is moot.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

5. I haven't read much of this thread but I agree we could use some junior mods to help, especially with the spam threads we've been getting lately. GC has needed new mods for years and I know it's not an easy process because you can't just pick anyone. But the idea of junior mods sounds pretty good, especially now in the summer with the influx of kids we always have. GC is a huge forum and could use the extra hand. Mods have lives outside of GC and I know they are sometimes overwhelmed with the amount of reported posts, trolls, etc. Not saying they don't do a good job, but a little help wouldn't hurt right? With simple things like deleting and moving threads.

Just my 2 cents.

6. #46 4shotmark, May 13, 2014

Most people I talk to feel this way. Even paid blades. Like I said though, at this point this thread is an exercise futility. Personally,  I think you should have a pretty big say in this. I think all of the paid members should have a say in this. Their money (your money), indirectly or not, supported paying for this Content Creation system. 

Again, good luck to all the Content Creators.

7. Here's the thing here - AW was a moderator here.  LK is a moderator here.  I was a moderator here.  As they have all said, when your'e talking about a forum that is this massive, there's never going to be any way that you can be all things to everyone.

And the staff is THIN.  The trust thing is more important than any of you really know.  One bad moderator can ruin a message board.

As for MASSIVE CHANGES?  WHAT DO YOU WANT?  If you want changes in a message board that has been around now for over a decade, perhaps it's time for you to start your own message board.  I'm not being flip or sarcastic, I'm being dead serious.  To run a message board this size is practically a full-time job in of itself.  FOr more than one person.  The number of new users and new topics posted each and every day point towards growth without added changes.  The forum is still recovering from the move to the new software, and you want more change?

As AW said, maybe, just maybe, the owners of the forum have a different idea in mind as to what the forums are and should be than you do.  You can love the forums all you want and you can certainly make suggestions, but you have ZERO right to get this defensive and upset when your told that your suggestions aren't viable or aren't the direction of the forum that the owner wants.

And being that again, several members of this conversation are or were moderators, I think they have just a bit better idea of what it takes to run this place than you do.  So respect their wishes.

8. #48 4shotmark, May 13, 2014
    The only reason I have kept replying to this thread is because AW brought up personal questions and I want to answer them. That is what I am defensive about. He brought ad hominem into a discussion that was dead long ago.

Again, you guys are focusing on the word "massive" like parrots. I already said numerous times that it was a mistake in word choice, and should have said something like "feasible, but highly effective." Cherry picking again.

I'm just glad I made the friends here I did. In that way and many many others,  :gc_rocks: 

9. #49 WildWill, May 13, 2014

OK you don't like us picking on your word "massive" - but again YOUR word.  Bad choice.

Fine about about fun and feasible:

Unused Forums - Where would you put the messages in them?  Would you just lock them or replace them?  And did you know that any time you make changes in a forum where you add and remove sub forums it slows the servers to  a crawl?  They're not doing anyone any harm by sitting there, and if they're unused now, maybe they will be in the future.  It's just not that important to collapse sub-forums.  It takes time and effort, and that's time and effort that can be used for something way more important.

Revamp the Stickies - Now this I'm in favor of, but as a long-time moderator at more than one message forum, I can tell you this...people don't read the stickies anyway.  Some people do, anecdotal evidence suggests this, but again the time and effort to do this is more than it's worth.  I used to try to keep the stickies in the MMJ forums up to date as possible, and that was one forum and I'm one person, it wasn't easy either, especially with the "Do You Qualify" thread - which had to be updated regularly because of new states being added all the time.  

Games and Contests - I hate these with a passion.  Game threads are horrible and don't deserve to be on a message board.  They take up space and only offer problems for moderators, plus they inflate post counts.  Contests on the other hand require a judge or some other official.  That would involve someone representing GC as an entity, and that would mean a moderator.  And as the mods barely have enough time to work on reported posts and do the things to keep the board running, a contest would take time away from that.  Not only that, someone ALWAYS gets butthurt in a contest.  NOT to mention that contests here have been run before and they were not that successful.

See here's the thing I think you just don't seem to understand:  The people who run these forums already have changes in mind for the next couple of years.  While I'm sure they enjoy suggestions for future improvements,  you're taking this FAR too seriously than they would.  You seem to think that your ideas would benefit everyone, when the truth is they would add more work to an already overworked staff.  

So again, if you love that kind of stuff on a message board, start your own.  Really.  Do all the things on a message board you were denied everywhere else.  More power to you.  But stop trying to fix stuff here that isn't broken.

10. #50 4shotmark, May 13, 2014
    I'm also not a fan of game threads, but things like the Solo Cup races are really cool. Things like that. We did a Posty awards on a few forums back in the day, and it really brought the community together.

I'm not even saying that my ideas are the best, I'm just saying some stuff could be done. You even agree with revamping the stickies, so clearly not every idea is a bad one.

However, in your final comment you bring this thread full circle, WildWill. You say there is an overworked staff. The ENTIRE point of this thread was an idea to solve that, in a way that I think would be easier than the Trusted Member method. The Trusted method is the path we are taking so I have to be on board with it. All of this I have already said.

I'm not really taking your comment about making my own message board seriously. That's a really common mentality when used in politics and it's just as fallacious there as it is here. "Oh you want to change it? Then why don't you go somewhere else?" Hell even I have used this fallacy before. I don't want to go anywhere else cause I love it here.

11. The Content Creator thing and moderating are two completely separate entities.  One has nothing to do with the other.

12. #52 4shotmark, May 13, 2014

Whoops, I meant the Trusted Member thing that was first brought up by Lizard in this thread. Mistake on my part.

Edited my post to fix it.

That is designed for 9-12 months later. 

There are at least 4 major planned improvement before rolling that feature live :)

14. Thanks, look forward to seeing the projects.  :bongin:

15. Wow, talk about beating a dead horse...

too bad this thread isn't locked.............................

@[member="jmick"]

I agree,.

@[member="4shotmark"]

This thread has come full circle. While I appreciate your concerns and ideas, I take exception to your remark that we are complacent. While you and the other half million members enjoy the full experience of Grasscity, the mod team logs on daily to hundreds of reported posts and deals with them one by one.

We love GC as much as you do. It would be nice to enjoy The City as a carefree member without responsibilities however we have chosen to be moderators and take our volunteer positions seriously. It takes months to vett new mods and more months to train them. Even if starting a Jr. Mod team were on our to do list, it would be 8-12 months before the program would be initiated.

In the meantime, use the report post button and count on us to do our jobs.

I'm locking this up and if you feel the need to reply, pm me.

All the best,

Chunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.