Storing Your Cooked Soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by StringBurner, May 10, 2014.

1. pokesot247

That was one of the best diagrams/illustrations for LST that I've seen. The vertical aspect, when most are lateral views, really helps with the visual.

One tip to any who are contemplating LST and also use silica. Start the LST before you start the silica applications. The limbs or branches are much more pliable and easy to work with. This is for the initial bends/training Like, till you get to the 5-10 TOP illustration, then start the silica (if you use it).

Wet

Wow, insecure and defensive much?  What did I say that your plants disagree with?  What problems did I mention?  What did I assume about you or your grow?  Nothing.  I never mentioned a single problem, or dissed you or your garden, so calm down.

I never insinuated that you don't have good grows.  In fact, I never said a single word about your garden, you can go back and check.  I simply asked why you cook the soil, and expressed my opinion that it is counter-productive.... an opinion shared by pretty much every single grower on GC Organics.  Ask around.  No one does what you do.  So I think I'm pretty justified in asking what your reasons are.

Your reasons sound strange- to kill pathogens and eggs.  Is this a major problem for you in your soil?  When my soil is finished cycling, there are no pathogens or out of control infestations that need to be killed.  I use neem meal in my soil and this keeps any pests under control, and the diverse and strong colonies of microbes keep any pathogens under control.... all part of the soil food web at work in a healthy soil.  The idea that you would kill everything in a healthy, living soil, only to have to revive it again later, sounds counter-intuitive to me.  And I wanted to ask you about it.  But if you can't handle someone asking you questions about your methods, or disagreeing with your opinions, then we can just avoid each other from now on.

Why would anyone store soil wet?  If you cycled it properly, then it was not anaerobic or overly wet.  Why would you then, in preparation for storing it, suddenly decide to make it overly wet and anaerobic?  Sounds like a very unlikely situation easily avoided by common sense.

If you sealed that soil in an airtight container, then I can clearly see why the beneficial aerobic microbes were overcome by the anaerobic pathogens and pests.  No mystery there.

Tim Wilson is not a major face in the vermicompost community, he is a major face in the Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT) community, which is what I said in my post.  He was MicrobeMan here on GC a few years ago.  And if you refuse to read his website and learn from the immense wealth of knowledge contained on his site, that is your loss.  I attempted to give you valuable information about brewing AACTs in order to help you.  I don't need to be snapped at about it.  So don't worry, I won't be offering advice or help to you any more.  Have a good one.

3. #23 rain dancer, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    I never asked you for advice or help. Not once, but I did receive pms from a few members saying you were an arm chair "grower" mister know it all who has a critique for anyone who grows different than what you read online, that you dont grow, but know better than those that do grow, and that i should expect you to stir the pot up, that every thread you "help" with, is nothing more than a narcissistic response, that brings negativity to the community.

And youre absolutely right, not a single grower on these boards does what i do, and i never hear a single grower claiming a pound per plant at harvest either :smoke:

I didnt read your rant above, jus skipped through it. I have a sixth sense for bullshit. I'd appreciate if you dont make assumptions about me in the future in regards to marriage or anything personal. If I was a widower, your disregard for common sense and courtesy would have been extremely offensive.

Have a nice mothers day :wave:

This is valuable advice! I recently started growing hydro in addition to soil and I chose growstones (recycled glass) which leaks silica into the soup. I also have a few bottles of protekt (liquid silica) which i foliar feed along with neem oil and both of these goes a long ways to help with pests, and silica helps make the stems almost rubber-like.

I appreciate your words. I discovered lst by sheer accident many years ago and it has been my exclusive growing and training method since.

4. Thank you both for really good info..for our cycles, they veg 22 days under T5's, then veg in sunroom 1000 watt'ers for another 15 before flipping. Like especially take your advice and start w/simple baby steps. Again, really like all of this encouragement and the new ideas. and Happy Mother's Day to you..I'm havin' a great one!

5. #25 Gandalf_the_Green, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014

Wow man, you must be truly insecure and unhappy in your life to lash out at someone you know not a single thing about, that was trying to have a simple discussion and give you some good information about AACTs.  I made a simple joke about the smell that cooking soil in an oven would produce and you have repeatedly attempted to equate it to some "assumption" about you... which is ridiculous, but if that's the worst thing I did, it certainly shouldn't push you to attack me the way you have.

Never once did I attack you personally or as a grower.  You have attacked me in every single post.  I hope you are proud of your behavior and the level of maturity you have displayed.  Once again, please leave me alone.

This is fantastic information. Thanks! One question: how do you transplant with it tied down? Or do you?

I like to start my LST'ing after the plant has been transplanted into it's final pot (1 gallon to 7 gallon).  This gives you more training room.

You could start training in the smaller pot, and use bamboo stakes and training wire (metal wire encased in flexible plastic/rubber) to support the branches where you want them.  Come transplant time, you can remove the training wire (which is just lightly twisted around the branch and stake), pull the stakes, transplant, and then start training again in the bigger pot. 

Course with this method, you may not even have to remove anything.  If you're careful enough, you can just remove the whole system from old pot as nothing is tied to the edge of the pot.

8. #28 rain dancer, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    I transplant from a jiffy pellet or root plug directly into 5gal buckets in both hydro and soil. To begin my first lst, I simply pinch the stem on one side, then the other to make it bendible, (not to be confused with pinching/topping), then bend the main stem over at a 90 degree angle.

Then as it pulls itself up towards the light, i use a string that is anchored to the bucket via a piece of wire or paperclip, or even hooks to keep it growing towards the anchored area. If I do for whatever reason transplant into a smaller bucket first, bending the stem over creates an lst without typing down to begin the process. I should have pics of this process in my current grow journal, which can be found in my sig, today or tomorrow. i actually just started the processes described above for some young clones. :)

9. Can you mix your soil, cook what u need and the rest store it uncooked?

You could, but why?

Cooked/Cycled soil stores just fine.

Wet

Experience does not merit anything -- knowledge and truth do, however.  I'll put myself up against 80% of growers even though I have less experience than all of them.  Not only are you coming off ignorant and lacking truth, but you made a predisposition towards a man and his website that is premature (and if you knew anything about Tim and his path towards perfection you'd know he is one of the most brilliant botanists you'll ever came across.  He dedicates entire acres to study and research, but you seem to be lacking in that area as you're LST work is proof).  If you would abide by "your experience" you would know to never judge a book by its cover and that you can never stop learning.  Letting my soil dry out and go dead is the last thing I want.  You don't want root aphids?  Then water with some damned botanigaard.  Don't call yourself organic if you want to be bug free.  My bugs are part of a circle of life and every time I open my bin of soil I HOPE to see bugs.  If I don't see bugs or mites or anything of the sort I am doing something wrong because these creatures are beneficial.  You're only pseudo organic if you try to deny nature at its core. Drying out your soil is counter intuitive to the organic process.  If 1 harvest in soil is good and 7 in a row is great, you're only hitting that 1 harvest every time because you're stalling everything.  If you think you grow high quality meds then you have no idea how much higher quality they could be if you stop letting your dirt go inert. 

12. "your dirt go inert"

Hey!  That rhymes!  :lol:

I had no idea! ;)

14. I just wish you would free your organic mind a little bit!  OI get bugs in my produce that I buy form the grocery store and it's aight.

15. #37 AugustWest, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

i ain't hating homie..

just observing from afar..

w/ popcorn :p

there's a million ways to grow weed, and none of them are incorrect. if your producing buds to your liking, then you're ding it right imo.

if we all grew weed the exact same way, these forums would be boring and useless.

16. Yeah my issue was never with anyones preference in how they do things, but take a look at my responses. They were a reaction to people having a problem with the way "I" do things.

I was simply questioned, told my way is wrong and to check out some other guy (who ive never heard ofs) way. I wont pretend to scoff at helpful information in any form. I love my garden to thrive, and, after sterilizing my soil with heat, then adding mycorrhizae fungus, worm shit (which comes from my worms eating the chicken and rabbit shit on my farm), blackstrap molasses teas, etc, ive finally arrived at an organic garden without the need to add pesticides.

Live and let live is my motto and yet, if you go back and read my first response to being questioned over my method (which i have no problem with quite honestly) and then blatantly told, your way is wrong, i reacted accordingly.

And then i tried to help others.

And then mister tea jumps on the "lets put this guys method down and tell him he's wrong bullshit wagon."

Maybe i shouldnt be here cuz im hurting over the death of a loved one. But im tired of "bullies " (thats right) fucking with me. This thread was about how to store soil. I added my two cents and was attacked. I even explained why i reacted the way i did and i dont feel the need to apologize at all.

Mister tea assumes a lot of dumb shit, not realizing ive been growing weed on acres of land for years, get paid handsomely in real life to help others grow and setup gardens and wouldnt be as successful as i am without the 10-11 years ive been at this shit.

Everyone thinks their way is best. I dont smoke other peoples weed, because i know how mines grown. If i can help others get better, then hell yah im down. But the difference between me and the people picking on my beliefs is that i dont offer advice unless asked.

What a pretincious snobby asshole id be if i tried to shove my method down someones throat when they didnt ask for my help and then what a dickhead to tell them their method is wrong, when all i see is a username, the rest is ignorant assumptions. Ridiculous is a serious understatement for behavior such as that.

You guys keep on growin. i wish you all the best no matter what your way is.

17. P.s.

August,
    I would never think anything bad about you brother. Youre one of my favorite people, hands down dude. Dont even trip a min, my response was not aimed at you!

love you long time brother..

and i agree with the "everyone thinks their way is best"

if they all just realized my way was best we wouldn't be having these arguments..