Dwc - Plant Leaves Are Crispy With Yellow/brown Spots - Please Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by joeynoodles, May 9, 2014.

1. #1 joeynoodles, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
    Hello, I am in my 3rd week of Veg and was my nutes at 800 ppm and noticed a few spots on the leaves on the smaller plants. I figured it was Nute Burn because there were little burn holes on a few of the lower older leaves so I lowered the nutes to around 500 PPM yesterday. I woke up today and Now I am getting dried up leaves with brown spotting and yellow spots. I attached pictures of the plant now. Also some of the leaves are bending up and dont look normal.

Please Help!

Here's My Setup Info..
    What is your experience level? Novice. 
    What type of hydro set-up are you running? DWC 
    Your Equipment: 
    A) Type and wattage of lights. 1000w MH
    B) Distance from tops? 30"
    C) Reflector type? N/A
    D) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule? Hortilux MH
    E) Is there a consistent fresh air supply? yes
    F) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan? 2 Fans inside tent and the tent exhausts every 45 mins for 15 mins.
    G) Size of reservoir? 5 gallon buckets 
    H) What medium if applicable.  1/2 Coco 1/2 Pertilite Clay balls on top of medium
    Your nutrients and water: Advanced Nutes Hobbiyist bundle for Coco. http://www.advancednutrients.com/hydroponics/products/bigger_yields_flowering_system_hobbyist/bigger_yields_flowering_system_hobbyist_product_information.php
    I) If using rockwoll for clones or seedlings, did you rinse the cubes well, with properly ph'd water? N/A 
    J) Source of water. (tap or filtered) What's it's ph? R.O Filtered water-009 PPM  (Ph is always 5.4 because Advanced Nutrients are PH Balanced)
    K) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule--- See H) Above
    L) What is the ec/ppm of your unadjusted tap (or filtered) water? 9
    M) What is the ec/ppm of your nutrient solution? Now 500
    N) What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? ~71 degrees
    O) Does your ec/ppm show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? About 15-25 ppm/day in week 3 of veg
    P) Does the ph fluctuate? Nope
    Q) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you
    spray? (Just after lights come on, just before they go out...) Whenever the leaves feel dry.2-3 times a day. 
    R) How often do you replace reservoir water/nutes?  1 X a Week
    What does it look like before changes? (clear, foamy, green, brown...) Brownish - Same color as when I put it in..

Your growroom: 
    S) What size of closet, room or hut? 6.5 X 6.5 X 6.5 Tent
    T) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off? 75-76 with the lights on 70 off
    U) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom? Nope- I checked with a Loop
    V) Are the roots long and white, or brown and slimy? Long and White
    Your strain: 
    W) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?) Jack Herrer(Sativa) and Afgooey(Indica Dominant)
    X) From seeds or clones? Clones
    Y) Is this an autoflower strain? no

I have also been Foliar Feeding throughout the day... Can that be the problem?

Thanks in Advance!

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      539.4 KB
      Views:
    • p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      File size:
      762.6 KB
      Views:
    • p3.jpg
      p3.jpg
      File size:
      567.3 KB
      Views:
    • p2.jpg
      p2.jpg
      File size:
      506.7 KB
      Views:
  2. #2 CFLPro, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    Some parts look healthy so I probably wouldn't have lowered nutrient strength. If anything I might have increased it a little. I'm seeing quite a lot of medium there. Coco and hydroton? I would think it'd become quite wet in DWC? Maybe try flushing through the medium with grow solution with EC @ 1.4 then resume feeding at about the same strength +/- 10%.
    Some times it's better if you just concentrate on providing the best conditions for the healthy plant/s and the others will quickly follow. Problems with old growth most often just reflect conditions that weren't ideal (underfeeding?) when it was new growth.
    Never bothered with foliar feeding so wouldn't recommend.

3. Thanks for your input....

.Ok So I Did a water change.. 200ppm Cal-Mag and 620 - 640 ppm AN Coco Nutes. Total of 820-840ppm.  I guess I will just have to wait 2 days and see what happens. If it goes downhill should I just Run R.O Water (Ph Balanced) for a day or so and start back at 1/4 nutes? That is the only other variable that I can think of is the Nuted that Im adding or not adding.

I have asked a few other growers and both told me it looks like a Magnesium Def rather than Calcium because it is appearing on old and new leaves. Both told me to Up my nutes rather than lower them.... 

Fingers Crossed!

4. Ok so I woke up today and everything looks a little worse...Should I wait until tomorrow and if it still looks bad then run just PH balanced RO? Or should I do it today? Are the plants leaves just damaged or should they start looking better ? Please help!

attached pics from today..

5. Ok so I woke up today and everything looks a little worse...Should I wait until tomorrow and if it still looks bad then run just PH balanced RO? Or should I do it today? Are the plants leaves just damaged or should they start looking better? Please help!

Attached Files:

• pp.jpg
      pp.jpg
      File size:
      631.8 KB
      Views:
    • p.jpg
      p.jpg
      File size:
      631 KB
      Views:
  6. damaged leaves will not recover.pay attention to the new growth.

7. #7 CFLPro, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
    Usually give things a few days to sort themselves out. Did you test any run off from the rinse through/flush?
    Although you seemed to have some plants looking ok but there are a few things that concern me.
    1. Coco getting too wet and the amount of it for DWC.
    2. Coco nutrients for DWC.
    3. Cal/Mag use as a percentage of overall ppm.

Maybe re-calibrate your meter/s too. I have the drops and vial for pH just in case I need to test something.

I just looked today and matters are getting worse, there are spots everywhere. It looks like the new growth is fine though except for a couple spots.. 

I also have 3 plants that are not affected at all........

What should I do now? Let it ride for another day?

Or take the plants that are affected and run RO for a day then start back at 1/4 nutes with no cal mag???

HELP!!

9. Given there are unaffected plants, it should indicate what you're doing is for the most part ok.
    I wouldn't recommend running only RO or 1/4 strength nutrients as none of them look overfed and it will likely cause the newer growth to suffer again in the near future.
    I personally would have just extensively flushed the problem plant/s then rinsed through solution with the correct pH and EC/ppm. After that, proceed to feed again the same solution as you are giving the other ones.
    Unfortunately there are many possibilities that could be causing your issues which makes it hard to diagnose with any degree of certainty.
    Do you actually test pH or are you assuming the AN product is holding steady?

10. OK..

I am going to be the bigger man and say I Fucked up... I admit (Because I just figured out ) I have been OVER feeding them. I messed up the Metric Imperial and US Conversion. I  Have been OVER FEEDING THEM BIGTIME! Like 75% nutes on a 1 week plant and 150% on a 3 week...

The crazy thin is that I have 3 plants that are fucking HUGE lol......

So as far as the affected ones,, I have been running clean RO for 12 hrs, tomorrow I will do an H20 change (after 24hrs)and run 50-60% nutes... is 24 hrs enough time to stop the nute lockout?

11. Strange because none of them were showing any typical signs of nutrient burn or over feeding.
    Sounds like you better triple check all the basics and things you thought were running ok.