Self-Help Books?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by RomanEmpire420, May 7, 2014.

1. .

Below are my favorite Self Improvement books. Have you read any of this one?

The 48 laws of power
    Think and grow rich
    The richest man in Babylon
    Rich dad poor dad

2. #22 hyffe_beats, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    The elite way - tariq nasheed

The 50th law

48 laws of power

How to win friends and influence people

3. A New Earth
    Sorry forgot the author

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. The absolute best stuff ive found that has literally changed my life has been The Mystery Method, and Seductive Instinct dude. The guy talking about game dont know shit. If your serious about self improvement check out Seductive Instinct. Its much, much more than just "game", if you want to use that word. Theres a bunch of free seductive instinct vids on youtube, but to get the real shit, you need to join. And I highly recommend it. If you're a healthy man that wants to become better in all areas of life you need to check it out.

5. #25 Diamond - Sea, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    It's not a self help book, but it really helped me to change my way of thinking. Google a book called 'Confessions of an Athiest Buddhist', that shit blew my mind.

6. 48 laws of power, and the art of war

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. The problem with self-help books is that for every good one, there's 10+ bad ones. Most of them are self-important writers masturbating to themselves and their "great revelations". Most self-help books are filled with more artificial filler than a fast-food burger. They'll spend forever blathering on about how this secret they disocvered helped them turn their life around, then they'll go through countless different stories and examples of other people changed their life with this big secret.

I'll ruin every every "bad" self-help for you right now: The secret is time, effort and luck. Put time and effort into things and you'll get the results you want. Luck comes after the first two things. Luck comes to those who are prepared for it. Pop-stars don't get discovered until they put work into their singing and put themselves out there, most people never get to that step, but wont hesitate to complain how lucky pop stars are.

And now onto the mystical "good self-help book". These books aren't as full of stories as the bad ones. They explain concepts and provide solid reasoning with good evidence behind everything. They don't rely on anecdotes and personal stories like the bad ones do.  When you find a self-help book that may interest you, just flip through and see how much of it is stories, and if what they're eaching actually makes sense and isn't new-age pseudo-science.

8. 7x70

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

9. OP mentioned 'The Secret' (Law of Attraction)

That franchise is one of the greatest scams ever, it ruthlessly misuses scientific terms and really sketchy mythology to fool people into a false sense of empowerment. The basic hypothesis of the book that if you want something (and it's usually a material object used as an example) and if you think (positively! ugh) about it hard enough.. you are bound to get it. In the movie version of the text, they use an example of a little boy who wants a bike and a woman who wants an expensive necklace. Now.. logic would suggest that if you think about something long enough.. your thought process is bound to change slightly. You might subconsciously decide to save up some money, you may mention to someone that you want this item (birthdays, christmas etc) and hey presto.. item is yours.

It's all very clever because they imply that this 'think about something hard enough, be positive and you'll get it' can be applied to anything but the examples never actually show someone being cured by a horrific illness by these methods for example.

Why? Because it won't work. It's a scam. 

10. The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

11. Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people " and James Allen's "As a man thinketh"

12. I always figured most of those books have very similar ideas.

13. Try it you nincompoop. If you think you're going to fly you're out of your mind (or are ya? )

To the topic at hand, there are countless good self help books..no at that advocate spirituality, openness, and truth are good. Anything by osho is good, his way of thinking and use of language is very interesting and helpful. Eckhart tolles power of now I had the audio book and would listen now and again, also relevant. If you wanna be a Badass with women check out the Tao of Badass by Joshua pellicer.

14. Adult Children. Of Alcoholics by Janet Wolititz has really helped several friends who grew up with alcoholic parents. It even helps with growing up general dysfunction in the house and helps one recognize that childhood plays a huge part in how we preview ourselves. Smoking weed isn't "all the help you need" especially when your brain has been overly self critical since early childhood.

I have been reading Emotional Eating by Abramsom, and it follows CBT sort of activities. It helps people recognize the emotional patterns of eating and addresses the emotions that drives one to eat in order to feel good.

I read Four Agreements in high school and it rally helped me understand myself and others.

15. "The Alchemist" comes to mind. It makes u examine yourself for sure.

16. Tony Robbins is the man! Definitely check out his self help books.

Eckhart Tolle is another favorite of mine. Both of these guys have the potential to change your life! I hope you give them a chance.

17. #37 432, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    The Celestine Prophecy
    The Power of Now
    The Law of One
    Emerald Tablets of Thoth

Food of the Gods
    Synchronicity Key
    Thiaoouba prophecy
    Book of Enoch

People:
    David Wilcock