My First Grow, 500W Cfl, Future Closet Scrog Cycle

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jonny.blaze/420, May 7, 2014.

1. All 3 originals have their 5 leaf set w 7s on the way... The 2 newbies are thriving, no probe now that I'm using my mix instead of coco pellets to germ. The 3 originals are squat as fuck... New growth at every node with space between minimal... The 4th set of leaves is coming and they are no taller than 10 cm. Very pleased... Moved the originals off the self watering now they are begging... Will let them get dry then wet, then repeat. LITFA during seedling is the way to go... You can really screw up a plant chasing every little symptom.

2. Begging = vegging fackin auto correct

3. Ok so it is now 17 days since I planted my first 3 babies and I am feeling really good about it so far... just a few minor hiccups that have been resolved. Here is how they look 2 weeks after sprouting... I think they look pretty damn good. Today I will arrange the vegging set up into its final (for now) arrangement, transplant into final containers, and water them with molasses. They are looking like they want something to eat but my mix has been marinating for a few weeks now so it should have plenty of nutes with the bone meal, blood meal, EWC, and Buffaloam compost. I am looking to pick up some green sand and kelp meal to round out my amendments but not in a hurry for that. Hopefully the Auto takes well to the new soil. All 3 have roots coming out of the coco pots into the bed of perlite so once the pots are in the soil they should start uptake.

Attached Files:

4. Here are the pics of my seedling and vegging area. I will add some walls with mylar tomorrow. Need to hook up my AC tomorrow too... temps got into the 90s today. The original 3 are now in their finishing containers. Oh and BTW them CFLs are 125W actual watts and really damn bright but run hot as hell.

Attached Files:

5. OK so today there is lots going on here in the Blaze garden... I have acquired a 4 cf bag of perlite for $15 yeah!!! I couldn't find anything but fucking MG perlite in the local stores so I went to the nursery and they didn't have any but there was a guy that owns a you pick orchard that said he could get me a bag when his assistant made a run to the farm and feed. Called today to confirm that she got it and she did for only $15. :hello: I had to mix some medium last night and didn't have my normal amount of perlite so I subbed with vermiculite... hopefully it will suffice.

I mixed up some more molasses water and will continue to use that for general watering when necessary... just filled the tubs last night so they should be ok for a few days at least. My new set up is running a little hot. High temps are middle 80s and I am only getting down to 79 during lights out. For some reason my house does not cool well with just having the windows open. I have a portable AC that will work but I am going to be drilling into the floor to exhaust into the crawlspace so I have been putting that off (hesitant to cut a 6" diameter hole in my subfloor).

Soaking 4 more seeds this evening and will plant them before I go to bed tonight or in the morning... probably in the morning to give them an extra 8 hours to marinate. The strains are...

Dinafem Strawberry Cough
    Dinafem Blue Kush
    THSeeds Kushage
    Hawaiian Skunk Haze (no breeder on label, freebies from Attitude, also a regular not fem)

Just as an update I currently have Wreckage, Critical HOG, Afghan Kush Ryder, Cotton Candy, and OG Kush.

I am going to use a starter mix I found on here... 3 parts HP Pro Mix, 3 parts EWC, 2 parts vermiculite... seems to allow for LITFA and results in very healthy looking plants after a couple weeks.

Here are my 3 original babies and then my seedlings (OG Kush, Cotton Candy)

Attached Files:

6. The 4 new seeds have been planted and hopefully in a few days I will have 4 new babies :) The Cotton Candy has been transplanted to a coco pot and the OG Kush is developing her 3rd set of leaves. All 3 originals are developing new leaf sets at each node... they are just begging to be tied over I think. They still have about 4" in height they need to grow in order to even reach the screens I have made to fit on my tubs so I could be in veg longer than I was wanting.

7. I was wondering how tall mine should be before I put my screen in the tent? Should I do some lst before letting them reach the screen? I topped both plants already.

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. The screen will do the lst for you... just wait for the new growth to poke through and then push it back under and over to the next hole. Just keep doing that until you think the stretch will fill the screen and then flip to 12/12. If I were you I would just let them grow up to the screen before doing anymore.

9. I rearranged the lights so more light stays under the desk and I can get great coverage of 2 plants now. When you buy those giant CFL grow lights that are 125W and higher they don't tell you than almost 1/3 of the fixture is blocked from getting 100% light due to the socket and base of the bulb. Now I have the socket sides on the outside of the cabinet and the lights are facing each other instead of side by side (if that makes any sense lol) These little babies are going to be some bushes... the growth at the nodes is exploding. Plus an updated pic of my 2 newest babies. The OG Kush stretched a little and now has a little gangsta lean lmao but it has leveled off and is starting to develop some strength and starting the 3rd set of leaves. The Cotton Candy is developing the 2nd set so we are officially out of sprout stage. Good thing because I will have a few more sprouts in the next couple days.  :metal:

Attached Files:

10. Looks like a real nice grow, those are some interesting pots you're using, are they coco? I've got the dinafem original strawberry cough too but I haven't grown it yet, will be following your progress. World of seeds strawberry blue is an excellent strain, everything about that one I loved. Taste, smell, high, all top-notch. Here's my last journal with the strawberry blue if you're interested ...shit came out frosty as fuck, is probably my favorite strain atm.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing your results, good luck!! :bongin:

11. @[member="Not Sure"] Yeah they are 6" coco pots, I got them from Menard's, 24 for less than $10 US. There was literally no transplant shock when I dropped those coco pots into the tubs. I waited till a bunch of roots were going through the pot into the perlite and then just planted them directly into my tubs. Unfortunately the Straw Blue didn't sprout :( but I have a few strains I am looking forward to watching grow. The ones that sprouted so far are

Wreckage (THSeeds)
    Critical HOG (THSeeds)
    Afghan Kush Ryder (WoS)
    Cotton Candy (Delicious)
    OG Kush (not sure) lol

Oh btw Idiocracy one of the greatest movies ever... just watched it the other day it never gets old. Unfortunately I think there may be a little truth to it.

12. So here they are today... I think they are growing in front of my eyes lol... I am wondering when the AKR auto is going to start to show sex and stretch... it is almost 3 weeks since I planted so it should be soon, though the damn thing is only 4" tall still

Attached Files:

13. subbed! looking great!

14. Nice set up bro! The babes are looking great!!
    Subbed  :smoke:

15. 3 of the 4 seeds I planted on Wednesday morning are now my newest babies. They are just now starting to open up their cotyledons except for the Kushage which is already growing its first set of true leaves. I moved the OG Kush to a 3 gal tub... a couple real nice looking roots were poking out of the coco pot and she was almost touching the lights... She stretched quite a bit when she sprouted because I didn't have a light on her for the first 12 hours. Since then she has settled down and started to grow with similar nodal spacing to the others. My veg chamber is now full and I will be moving my Wreckage and Critical Hog to flowering once these new sprouts outgrow the seedling chamber. I should be able to stretch that to about a week and a half, two weeks and at the pace they are growing they should be pretty nice little bushes. This first round I will be using the screen but I am not going to veg to fill it up I am going to just observe the stretch for each strain so i know when to flip for each strain in the future. The screen will still help spread her out and make multiple colas just maybe not the whole screen full. Hopefully I can get the Wreckage and CH tall enough and branchy enough to take a couple clones from each and try out my DIY bucket cloner. Cotton Candy is cruising along. Check out the Critical Hog undergrowth in the first pic.

Attached Files:

16. The more the better... Advice is welcome as well.

17. The last of my 4 seeds I planted has popped up out of the medium. So now I have a Hawaiian Skunk Haze regular growing... have no idea who the breeder is though. It was a freebie from Herbie's I think. The FIMing I did yesterday doesn't seem to have shocked them too much at all. The undergrowth continued to grow today without slowing down.

Been doing some reading and realized I need to mix my "soil" a few weeks before I use it to let the microbes develop... I think that is why I am seeing some minor nute burn on them. I also realized that I don't want to use the FF nutes that I bought. With the amendments I have already added I think I can get by with AACT and topdressing and then watering with molasses once a week or so. Looks like I will be selling that stuff on Ebay in the near future.

LITFA LITFA LITFA... boring but safe lol.

18. #60 jonny.blaze/420, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
    I started to LST the Critical Hog and Wreckage tonight. I am using pipe cleaners and thumbtacks... seems to be holding really well. Here is a pic...

I still haven't hooked up my AC and it is getting kinda hot today... Highs hit 86 for a couple hours but most of the day I was at 79 - 81. When I start that up along with my flower tent there will be a huge spike in my electricity bill but since I live alone I should be able to offset it by being an energy miser in all the other areas of the house.

Anybody following me have AACT experience?

Oh yeah I covered some pieces of cardboard with mylar and they rest on the sides to keep more of the light reflected into the growspace. Now hardly any light is escaping from the front and back just the sides for airflow :)

Attached Files: