My First Grow, 500W Cfl, Future Closet Scrog Cycle

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jonny.blaze/420, May 7, 2014.

1. #1 jonny.blaze/420, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
    Hello Everyone :) Just finished setting up my DIY tent last night... Waiting on 2 orders of seeds to arrive... I ordered 2 small orders, one from Herbie's and one from Attitide, on 5/5 ad Herbie's has already shipped :D So here are my details...

Space - 4'W x 2'D x 5'H (flowering) Milliard  Tent
    Medium - 1/3 HP Pro Mix, 1/3 HP Organic, 1/3 Perlite amended with EWC, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, buffalo compost, green sand,
    Nutes - compost teas, fermented teas, topdressing w/ EWC, kelp meal & alfalfa meal
    Lights - (2) 125W Hydrofarm 2700K CFL, (2) 125W Hydrofarm 6500K CFL, 96x3W Reflector LED (TopLEDgrowlight.com) (4) T5HO 22" 24W
    Pot size - 2" coco pots, 6" coco pots, 3 gal
    Air Circulation / Odor Control - 4" VenTech 196 cfm w/ 4" x 12" VenTech Carbon Filter, (2) 8" Honeywell Ultra Quiet Fan

If I receive what I ordered from Attitude I will have this to choose from...

(4) Dinafem Blue Kush Fem
    (5) THSeeds Critical HOG Fem
    (1) WoS Auto Afghan Kush Ryder Fem
    (1) THSeeds Wreckage
    (1) THSeeds Kushage
    singles are the freebies

If I receive what I ordered from Herbie's I will have these as well...

(5) Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk Fem
    (3) Dinafem Strawberry Cough Fem
    (1) WoS Strawberry Blue Fem
    (2) Delicious Cotton Candy Fem
    (5) Hawaiian Skunk Haze

I am not sure which I want to start with... I will start with 4 plants, one of which will be the auto (in hopes of getting my own smoke quicker)... Anyone have any suggestions as to with which ones I should begin? I will post pics of my tent and scrog tubs soon, hopefully have my beans in the soil soon too.

Happy Farming :smoking:

2. I'm not sure about growing an auto with regular photoperiod plants. at some point you will need to change the light to 12/12 and auto's from what i have read extensively cuz I currently have 3 growing and they need to be under a minumum of 18 hours a day. 2 of mine I knew to be auto's the other random seed flowered under like 20 hrs of light and did so before the auto's...still scratching my head but i will post a few pics so u see what mine look like after a lil over 6 weeks. I would figure out your light requirements b4 planting anything though. Just my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

3. By the time I am flowering I will have a seperate veg area set up and the tent will be a 12/12 only... at that time the auto will just be moved to the veg area... I am not going to do any future autos just see what happens with this one freebie. My eventual set up will be 2 areas veg and flower and cycling scrog tubs in and out every 2 weeks. Each tub will hold (2) 3 gal tubs and each of those will have one plant with just a little over 1 sqf of screen each. Any suggestions on which strain I should start with?

4. Nice Jonny! I will definitely follow along. I was thinking I should do some type of training. Do you prefer SCROG over LST or SOG?

I'm also curious how temp will be with my tent in the closet and the closet doors closed. I live in a fairly cool climate, but wondering if it'll get too hot. Time will tell! You'll be fine I'm guess since you're using CFL.

5. Also, should I go with the Coco Coir instead of solo cup for my babies?

6. By using the coco coir pots I am hoping that there will be no transplant shock because I will just be dropping the whole pot into my 3 gal tub and then surrounding that with soil. I grew one time about 20 years ago and I used the solo cups then and it worked fine. If you have a Menard's close to you it wouldn't hurt to go get some. They are super cheap, I got 24 6" pots for less than $10. You will need to find some way to vent fresh cooler air into your closet space and exhaust the hot air out of the closet space. If you exhaust into the same space you pull fresh air from then the air will continue to increase in temp until it stabilizes with the temp coming off the bulb. When your tent arrives set it up and run it for a couple hours as a test run.

7. Oh and I am doing SCROG to maximize the yield out of my space... If I do it right I should be harvesting 15-20 colas every 2 weeks. If the colas weigh 5-7 gr dry I will be very very happy. That is my ultimate goal, to get about 3 oz every 2 weeks out of my cycling scrog tubs. When I grew that one time 20 years ago i did do topping and tie downs but never any pinching (in fact the guy that taught me at that time said to never let the buds snap over so I had strings hanging from everywhere supporting the tops of my plants LOL). I think I would need more space to get similar yields from SOG. I don't want to spend a lot of time in veg either. I hope to find a powerful strain that has a good stretch that can be used to fill up the screen in the few weeks after starting 12/12.

8. Tracking for my genetics updated to item has been processed through our sorting facility in Chicago, IL... Hopefully no green tape!

9. My beans have left Chicago and since I'm only getting the beans and no "gift" I'm pretty certain they made it through customs. I'm pretty sure they would have just sent the letter and not my empty package.

10. Should be here tomorrow since I only live 3 hours from there!!!

11. Sweet! We'll be days apart on the Blue Cheese! 

Can you post a pic of your filter hung up?

12. You can see it in my pics up there on like the fourth post. Its at the top left... You can see the fan outside the tent on the far right hanging from the white wire shelf. Last night I mounted a board with a dryer vent tube through it to clean up how my exhaust line exits the tent.

13. Attached Files:

14. Beans arrived today from Attitude!! They are spot on... I recommend getting them in the breeders packs with guarantee BUT NO FREE SOUVENIR. Still waiting on Herbie's package to arrive but later this evening I will start germinating 4 seeds... Probably the free auto and 2 Blue Kush and one of the fem freebies. I also constructed a nice t5 seedling / early veg setup last night (see below). 

Attached Files:

15. That's what I did, breeders packs with no stealth. Worked great! My Critical Kush just sprouted! Good luck!

16. 5/17/14... Soaked 4 seeds for about 4 hours and then planted them in starter pellets. The lucky winners are...

Blue Kush
    Critical Hog
    Wreckage (after reading some grow journals I am stoked for this one)
    Afghan Kush Ryder Auto

Placed starter pellets in a self watering tray filled with bottled water with no additives (Aquafina), and placed tray on warming mat underneath 4 t5 HO 24W 6500K bulbs in my homemade seed starting setup (pics below).

5/18/14... Checked in on the starter pellets to ensure the temps were in line and pellets were staying moist... Everything all good just let em go do there thing. It will be a little over 24 hours before I will be able to check on them again so I am hoping at least 1 has popped out of the soil by then (high expectations I know but hey I am a positive thinker :smoke:

Attached Files:

17. Just bought the 96x3 Reflector II LED growlight from TopLEDgrowlight.com (one of the sponsors / advertisers here). They have a family page in the lighting forum and SmokeSara their rep is super awesome. I can't wait to flower with this bad boy...

Attached Files:

18. And today my Herbie's order arrived... well packaged, healthy looking beans in original breeders packs. They also shipped me a Barney's Farm LSD fem for free that I was totally not expecting!! They have really good prices too... I think either Attitude or Herbie's is a good choice for your genetics. Both have tons of breeders, the latest strains, and good freebies programs.

Attached Files:

19. And we have lift off... 2 of my babes are poking out of the pellets. Lights are activated and dome will be removed in the morning. Will post pics tomorrow evening!!

20. Couldn't sleep so I checked and the other 2 are just breaking the surface. So 4/4 germination in pellets from seed presoaked for about 5 hours. All 4 are showing within 80 hours of planting. So excited to see these babies do their thing