Test My Knowledge Of Wildlife- Round 1

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 6, 2014.

1. Ah excellent try, you're doing very good.  These Are giant forest hogs, and are VERY dangerous!

These are essentially gigantic warthogs, and their huge tusks scare me.

2. How bout this one? Not the beetle, or the dog, but the thinger on the beetle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw4GvOi4h5Y

Looks almost like a tick, but it was pretty damn determined to stay on the beetle. When I first found it, it looked like it was trying to get in through it's joints.

3. That's a phoretic mite, this species is actually a beneficial commensal on beetles, cleaning food stuck to the shell, etc. 

The beetle itself is a 'Horned passalus', a species of bess beetle (didnt watch the video, lol)

4. Do you know what purpose their horn serves? Looks kind of like a termite horn, kind of figure it serves a similar purpose with tearing up wood. I've been wanting to try n see if I can get sprayed by it, but I don't feel like getting bit.. lol Second time round watching the video, looks like there are clumps of baby mites chilling on him too.

5. Probably used primarily for bulldozing rotting wood.

These are social beetles and work together to rear their young. Very cool beetles!

keep 'em coming!

Mammals, reptiles, fish, insects, it doesn't matter. Try to stump me!

6. #46 Patent #6630507, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Took this picture March of this year. :)

I had cut down some pines and threw them in a pile. It was chilly and overcast out and when I went to move them to cut up and burn I found this guy. He was so cold and lethargic, probably due to the lack of UVA and UVB. Couldn't even move. I had to cut the off the branch he was on and relocate him to the forest because he wouldn't move lol.

7. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402174202.512462.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402174240.374887.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Depending on your location, this is either A western fence lizard, or an eastern fence lizard.  Without a ventral shot of the hind-limbs it can be extremely difficult to tell which species.  Western fence lizards have yellow coloration on their hind legs, eastern fence lizards lack this.

The lizard is a juvenile Black-Spiny-tailed iguana.

The snake is a toughie..  Looks like a Black Racer, but the head looks more viperine to me, I cant ID that one confidently.  Dont feel too proud, the head is obscured :laughing:

9. photo 1.png

\n

Attached Files:

10. Hm.. that's a tough one..  looks alot like Myiopsitta

(monk parakeet/Quaker)  I cannot be sure, but i do know these parrots have many different morphs, wild-types look dramatically different.

11. It's a parrotlet. One of the smallest parrots.

12.  -9999 hp

13. Green tree python.  That was impressive, i bet you thought I'd say emerald tree boa :D

14. What in God's name is this????????????

Attached Files:

15. I live in the mountains of WNC which is home to one of the world's most diverse populations of salamanders including several endangered species that only survive in tiny local ecosystems. This breed isn't very common but is not endangered either. The colors make it one of my favorites to find!
    [​IMG]

16.  Photoshoppus bullshitoides

West northern california?  Or Western north carolina?    Looks like an ensatina, to me, which species, i cannot tell.

17. North Carolina. And the species is the Yonahlossee Salamander, I am not sure about what type of salamander it is but all that stuff is online haha.

18. Good job. :)

They are plethodontids, lungless salamanders, in the same family as ensatinas.   They look remarkably similar. Because of the odd pattern i mistook it for Ensatina.  Good job, you got me haha

Hard to tell but it's likely a fungus gnat.