Test My Knowledge Of Wildlife- Round 1

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 6, 2014.

1. Lol i fish next to these guys all day, that's either a leucistic blue heron, or a great egret.

2. Found this guy the other day on my property near a forest tree line. He was chomping on some foliage.  :) I took some pics and let him continue munching.

[​IMG]

3. Terrapene carolina

Box turtle.  hard to say what species, as it looks like an old specimen, with the shell worn down and encrusted, obscuring the pattern, could be an eastern box turtle, but regardless the species and genus are correct. :)

NEXT!

4. Terrapene carolina sounds right. I live in the Carolinas. 

This one is older, but I never figured out what it was either. Saw this on a hike in central FL while having a smoke break on a log. 

[​IMG]

5. juvenile schistocerca sp. can't pin it down exactly, but could be s. Americanus.

More commonly known as bird grasshoppers, due to their sparrow-like markings and strong flight as adults.

It's answers like these that make me think that rounds 3,5 and 8 are taking place simultaneously in your subconscious..

7. ahahaha.. That killed me :laughing:

8. cmon peeps.  give me another.  Im bored.  

9. ^^^ that reminded me :p

Withlacoochee State Park in FL. First time I saw a lizard besides the anoles in FL.

[​IMG]

10. there was this crazy lobster/shrimp thing i saw a video of, it was super pretty and colorful, tropical looking and i think its known for fucking shit up in the ocean because i saw a video of it fighting some thing else. i can't remember the name so i cant find a pic for you but if you can guess it based on my bad description, you win!

Mantis shrimp. It hits so hard, it creates a bubble that produces light and heat and then does even more damage when it collapses. So it's like getting hit with 2 fists at once. It's one badass crustacean.. Even if it misses with the first hit, the shock from the air bubble can stun it's prey, which will then have punches rained down on it.

There's also the Pistol shrimp. It snaps it's claw so fast it creates an air bubble too, but shoots it out a lil in front of it.. stunning it's prey.

12. yes!!! the mantis shrimp, thats it! i couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called but that little thing is bad ass! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401727230.431099.jpg

13. Which kind of lizard is the brown one and which kind of lizard is the green one?
    [​IMG]

14. Plestiodon fasciatus (eastern five-lined skink) 

Eastern Six-lined racerunner

Odontodactylus scyllarus- peacock mantis shrimp

Both are green anoles, but you already knew that ;)

15. #36 Philosiraptor, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014

Dammitt I thought the brown would throw you off.

The one getting nailed must not be too happy if it is brown.  (Brown can be a sign of stress)

16. Hahaha yeah, i assumed that. :laughing:

Cmon, people.  Stump me.  It makes my day when i go "..the hell is that?"  Because it makes the world look big to me again :D

MOAR!

17. #38 Patent #6630507, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Edit: southern Appalachians   

18. #39 smokehound, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
    Oooooohhh man that was a critical hit, hahaha.  Dang.  

However..   it's a polydesmid millipede, most likely a species of 
    Apheloria.

these millipedes are extremely toxic, be careful while handling them.  They do get fairly large, and their beautiful colors make them rewarding captives.  Like all millipedes, they thrive on soft rotting hardwood (birch, oak, maple, etc), and dead leaves, with boiled greens like broccoli being especially attractive.  they like the soft "woody" veggies, boiled carrots are pretty attractive to them.

Probably the Apheloria virginiensis complex.  

[​IMG]

MOAR!!!!!!!!