Gun Laws And Medical Marijuana - Nevada

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by moreherb, May 5, 2014.

1. Ct allows use of your existing pistol permit as a state issued picture for verification to get your MMJ card.

So no issue here (surprisingly)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I'm not planning on strapping a SCAR to my back and go to the mall though.

The issue being addressed here is having a pistol permit and a MMJ card at the same time and carrying with a MMJ card (not high of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3.  I go to the outdoor gun range and knock down bowling pins. Its just as much fun as bowling. A shootout can happen anywhere not just the mall and school so best of luck to you when you leave that protection home the day you need it. Best not to carry one on you at all times because that will cause a new level of karma for you once you start wearing it. 

This thread, if you read it is about what your talking about and buying new ones. Any kind of firearm, my original question was trying to figure out why I could not obtain the gun immediately and my experience at the time when I was buying the gun. If your high with while carrying a gun with your CCW than im not sure what a cop will do but what the law says im sure the cop will do it unless if he's cool. 

The feds dont care about me as long as I just have protection but they will care about me if I started collecting everything I could buy and guns & drugs dont mix. 

4. I figure it's tricky in most places, even in the US, to get a gun while having medical marijuana. There's still the fear of narcotic effects on the user. It seems much more difficult in Asia, though. Certainly the Philippines won't be legalizing marijuana, medical or otherwise, it for a looooooong time. 

5. I have purchased a few guns and every time they ask for my photo ID. A friend of mine just got his card and was telling me that they issued him a new ID that says "medical marijuana patient" on it. You can check no on the form but what about when they ask to see your ID?

6. Where do you kids come up with this.

So when you go to the dr for your std issue they give you a new is that says std patient.

The reason for the unloaded/locked up rules are, I have been told, for "safety" reasons.

Perhaps we should keep our fire extinguishers and spare tires under lock and key as well? 

IMHO: if you possess or produce MMJ and have guns on the premises it can certainly cause you grief if you have an incident with law enforcement. I choose to take that chance.

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6...

8. Fucking shadow government, I wish the public would flex their muscle instead of the police state , don't give a gun to the hippy who will defend himself if he even believes in guns, let's give it to the drunk instead, it's this thinking that's ruining the world we live In. when enough people become fed up maybe then there can be change, but it won't be pretty

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. MMJ Cardholder & gun owner here that is very much in the middle of this topic right now. Cardholder for the past 2 years & gun owner for 15 years. I recently purchased a NEW gun and passed the background check (obviously since it was sold to me). I have attended & passed a CCW course & all I have to do is submit my paperwork with the local Sheriffs office. I am not sure I want to at this point as I am finding out that a minimum of 1 year & up to 8 years in prison is the punishment for not only owning a gun as a cardholder but even if I have access to them.

I do know of a NV woman (Rowan Wilson) who has filed a lawsuit against the ATF for not allowing her her constitutional rights to own a gun based on being a MMJ patient. See link: http://blog.mpp.org/medical-marijuana/nevada-medic... Hopefully her case moves things in the correct direction. I wish I had more about her case but I cannot find anything regarding the outcome of that case. Please post results if you can/ do find anything.

Simply put as a question I am looking for an answer for: Am I going to be "raided" for my guns and/ or arrested if I submit my paperwork? And if so, is the mere selling of that gun to me entrapment? Probably not since I said "NO" to question 11.e, but as far as I am concerned I answered correctly. I am NOT an "unlawful" user & nor is cannabis considered addictive. Not even by scientific standards. My problem of course is that my name lives in the MMJ registry in Carson City. Right where my info was sent for the background check. If I passed that background check aren't I good to go?

IDK about any of you but this is a concern for me. I am not feeling good about this & would love further input from anyone with experience. I am working on obtaining an attorney but thought I'd start here. Please feel free to advise & BOL to all of us.

10. Nevada medical marijuana patients are discovering that, even though they are legally allowed to use marijuana, they are being prosecuted for possessing firearms, and undoubtedly more, where a neighbor purportedly complained of the smell of marijuana coming from the residence of a medical marijuana patient. A detective from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department looked over the wall of the property and observed several mature marijuana plants growing (Nevada medical marijuana statutes allow a patient to cultivate up to twelve (12) mature plants for personal use). Subsequently, the detective inquired into the registry database and became aware that the resident of the home is the holder of a valid registry identification card that provides that the patient is exempt from prosecution for the use or possession of marijuana. Not withstanding that the detective was aware that the individual was a valid medical marijuana patient the detective knocked on the door of the residence. When the detective received no answer he peered through a side window and observed multiple firearms.

A couple weeks later the detective returned to the residence. When the occupant/marijuana patient opened the door the detective asked to be allowed access to the residence. The patient lawfully declined to permit the detective access to the residence. The detective then swore out an affidavit in support of a search warrant. The detective stated in the affidavit that he observed multiple firearms inside the residence and that as an admitted chronic user of the controlled substance marijuana, because he is a medical marijuana patient, the homeowner was prohibited from possessing firearms. Based upon the information provided, the detective was able to convince a judge to sign a search warrant for the patient’s home. The patient was arrested and charged with multiple counts of the unlawful possession of a firearm.

The Nevada statute that is being used by law enforcement and the prosecutor’s office (NRS202.360) states that a person shall not own or have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control any firearm if that person is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance.

11. Unreal.

This whole cannabis situation can make a person depressed. I'm so sick and tired of ignorant people. If we want to take away rights to own a gun then why do people who drink get to own one?
    I've seen and been shot at by drunk people because their decision process is gone.
    Yes, cannabis can distort decisions also but in normal use cannabis makes you happy not full of anger and hate like I have seen with many alcoholics.

Back in my drinking days I was a happy drinker, yet, I saw quite a few people which two drinks later turned into the opposite you want to have a gun in their hand.

But what do you do?
    Do you tell all people who drink becauser those few idiots are fools all of you need to suffer for their actions?
    Not in my world you don't

Common sense and cannabis just doesn't exist with the control freaks in power.
    They are clueless.
    A person should have a right to defend themselves and their family no matter if they drink or smoke.

So sad to see people go through this.
    It's like the government makes up rules in order to put you behind bars cause TRUTH sure isn't involved!

I'd love to buy an island somewhere and be done with all this crap.