Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Terminal Cancer, Morphine And Pot

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by chally46, May 4, 2014.

1. Hey there. Looking for some advice about my grandfather. He has terminal cancer throughout the abdomen, chronic pain for which he has been prescribed oxycodone, morphine, panadol, some form of depression and stroke medication. He spends most of his time in bed, struggles to eat and use the toilet. I have brought up the usage of cannabis to help with mixed results but I'd say positive but he has never been as bad as he is now in terms of mental health and physical health. Looking for some advice or anyone with previous experience with this sort of thing. Will some oil or baking help? I'm in NZ where cultivation, trade and possession is illegal but if it will make him more comfortable it is not something I'm concerned about. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Oil will help a lot, especially if your grandfather will improve his immune system by decreasing the opiates. I'd start by giving him oil (at most the size of a grain of rice) in the evening for about a week to see how he handles it.

3. I know GC forums is down on talking about non-cannabis drugs, but he sounds like he needs all these medications. Pot is great for certain ailments and CAN, not WILL, help for certain types of pain, but when you are in that situation I'd suggest giving him the strongest edibles/oils you have access to while continuing him on the opiates. I will say from experience there is NO  escape from pain but death, but a combination of opiates and cannabis will definitely help some

4. Good to get other educated opinions. Thanks for the help, I'll keep u updated on the situation!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Aw. You sound really sweet. I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. My grandfather was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer, so I share the sentiment.
    My grandpa for religious reasons will never consider cannabis. However, I know of a particular elderly women who has. Her grandsons regularly bakes edibles that have helped reduce her discomfort at an alarming rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. I use MMJ for chronic pain. I usually take it along with my percocet if it gets very bad. I found that the percocet works longer and feels stronger. I spoke to my doctor about it and he thinks that the mmj causes the opiate to hold on to the receptor longer. But it is very safe. 

7. The analgesic properties of high potency THC are unparalleled when staying away from harmful narcotics is important.

What's more, if you read up on the endocannabinoid system you'll find strong regulating/modulatory effects from cannabis. Including for the immune system etc.

Oxidative stress...

Let's not forget depression. As with pain.. I'd prefer this over narcotics.

Lastly, the cancer.

It is not even a debate IMO given the research we now have available that shows mechanism behind the anecdotal evidence we've had for countless years.