The Vegan Paradox

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by yurigadaisukida, Apr 30, 2014.

So you misrepresented my avoidance of detrimental action, as "apathy," while insinuating the opposite is true: "do anything (even the wrong thing) is better than do nothing."

You made the statement. Now you seem to disagree with your own statement.

Looks like my job is done here. ^^

2. furthermore:

Pathetic: "arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness."

Not sure what "pathetic apathy" is supposed to mean...

But my stance is neither "pathetic" nor "apathetic."

It is neither sympathy for the establishent, nor lack of empathy for the animals. I cannot save them from the actions of others, which cause their suffering... so i will embrace and cherish the remnants of their lives, which result in providing me with valued sustenance.

I appreciate their sacrifice. I would change their living conditions if i had the means to do so, but i cannot. This is how the system works.

If we simply refuse to eat the meat from the grocery stores, that meat gets thrown in the garbage and sent to a landfill to rot. If they don't send that meat to the market, it will become fertilizer and compost, and various other things. My refusal to consume it, will not force the owners of those companies to change anything, because not everyone agrees or even understands or even cares that anything needs to change.

3. "trophic cascade".

Your move. Roflmao.

4. this is a moronic post. Are you suggesting meat eaters are evil?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Uhh, where did I say that? If you'd read the follow-up posts, I'm mocking the principle, the ideology. 

6. I didn't insinuate that, you inferred it.

All I was saying is that evil in the world would be very happy to read that. I didn't misrepresent it as apathy, it is apathy.

Saying it's better to do nothing than something, anything, is apathy.

You should look up the definition of apathy.

And you're still misrepresenting what i said.

One more time: it's better to NOT do the WRONG thing.

I don't know how to make that any more clear.

8. #48 Account_Banned283, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    What cogent reasoning can we expect to hear from those whose arguments are derived only from a zeal to pardon their own selfishness?

..none, apparently.

9. Isn't that you?

10. Sure?

11. Are you two brothers irl?

12. i was a vegan for almost 2 years, not worth it. Humans are made to eat meat. We evolved do to eating animal protein. Honestly it was stupid and ive learned from my mistake. Even cows eat meat. YES they do, from eating insect/varmints ground up in there food(silos). I was even told by my agriculture professor who said farmers have fed cow meat to other cows, called it cow on cow. Every  thing on this planet lives off of another being. Its the way of the universe. You can call your self a vegan or a vegetarian, but in reality no matter what you do another living being has been killed or suffered from your existence.

13. just an aside.

Feeding cows to cows is what caused mad cow ddisease.

Cannibalism for some reason causes.prion disease and I don't think its fully understood yet

14. It's interesting that generally vegans tend to be the open minded type and are subject to a lot of criticism or questioning from the rest of the peepulation. However, they can just as easily be victims of cognitive dissonance (and often are, as I've found) when dealing with other points of view as OP mentioned.

Oh how important it is to be skeptical. 

15. Open minded? Not based on the ones I've met.

Usually they adopt extremist view points. Rarely have I let a vegan who is open to the idea that meat is healthy

16. Once they learn of the killing practices and odd case of torture it strikes their emotional side like a dagger. Hence the extremism, but they get a lot of heck from people and have to defend themselves somehow so they inquire further. That being said their sources of info are riddled with anti-meat material.

We're omnivores(pretty sure lol) and I feel most of them know this but can't get the cruelty out of their skulls.

17. I get how they feel. I myself have considered living the lifestyle.

What gets me though is how you get from not wanting to hurt animals to meat being bad for you and humans being meant to be vegan

Meat is clearly good for you and humans are as you said omnivorous .

18. i dont get why people think the animals are special because theyre more similar to our version of life than the plant version of life. personally i see little difference fundamentally between plants/animals.

19. #59 Account_Banned283, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

You talk of veganism as if it were somehow the more emotionally gratifying but less rational dietary choice when it is in fact your own diet that appears the most unfavourable once compared both logically, and morally, to the vegan diet - it could be said more accurately that it is the meat eaters that involve themselves in these discussions that argue from sentiment much more so than the vegan's, for it is they that regularly take it upon themselves to defend themselves and their dietary choice, with spontaneous and irrelevant questions such as; ''Oh so I'm a bad person for eating meat am I?'', knowing innately that there is little that can be said to truly justify it.

The point is, is that meat is a luxury for almost every member of the developed world, and the nutrients found within it can be found in many other sources, without the needless sacrifice of an animals life, nor the prodigious quantity of factory fumes that further smear the environment - I'm also still waiting to hear how veganism is a paradox.

20. personally I see little difference between humans and animals.

We are not just one species that should be united. We are different groups fighting for survival.

If cannibalism didn't cause prion disease, thatt would probly be fine too