The Vegan Paradox

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by yurigadaisukida, Apr 30, 2014.

1. #21 FALSE, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

2. Do vegans not use cow poop to fertilize their crops?

Do vegans own pets? If so do you feed your pets meat?

Do vegans oppose the use of pesticides organic or otherwise?

How much land should we take from animals to grow our own food and make cities? And roads?

What about science? Should we not study animals? It is difficult to study animals without harming/enslaving them. We have learned a lot about ourselves by studying animal behavior.

What about zoos? Should we just let those animals become extinct? "Enslaving" animals has allowed us to save several species from extinction.

Are vegans atheist? The bible condones eating meat and basically sais all animals were put here for our use.

The list goes on.

Its hard to comprehend the idea that humans shouldnt cause animal "suffering". Our mere existence causes it.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #23 Digital Veil, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    That's a lot of beans!  Most of his calories come from "whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats, and beans".. NO THANKS!
    And the posted meme meal still has no protein or fat, eat that meal for a year and report back.  ;)

This line was golden too "I believe that vegans use proteins and other nutrients more effectively than meat eaters".  :hippie: 

4. How do we coexist while sharing the same resources with animals if we all became vegans? Who gets the plants?  

5. i honestly believe if it got to that where its only plants and we all are going for the same food, the animal over people crowd will change their tune when they could starve to death

6. You can get your protein from nuts, beans and other sources.

7. #27 organicpandemic, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    it also has to do with the fact that animal proteins are larger then vegtable proteins and are harder to digest. add to the mix that most meat contains gmo/antibiotics/god knows what else its a pretty obvious choise. most vegans i know have as much of an issue with pesticides/herbicides/GMO/super phosphates/processed foods as poor animal treatment.

unfortunately what you are saying isnt a reality at this point in time because of capitalism. if you went and tried to live off the land you would probably get arrested/throw in an asylum. if i could, i would! at the very least i grow my own organic food and wont eat GMO.

i eat a little meat/eggs/dairy but i dont shy away from the facts and do my best to make sure its organic and treated right. i would happily have a goat/chickens if i had the room but i certainly wouldnt eat them. they are far to useful (milk eggs, pest and weed control, manure etc).

the fact that you say our mere existence makes animals suffer is completely wrong and shows how disconnected from reality you really are. people (corporations) make the choice of profit over nature and thats how we got to this point.

8. The vegans are trying their hardest to avoid any animal products. Its just our society was built upon the destruction of natural life, so unless they want to live in some commune its impossible to avoid.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Hehe this reminds me od a story. I once went to an amusement park with my cousin and his dad got pissed at there being no parking. So he started screaming "why the fuck is only vegetarian parking" because for some reason he called handicap people vegetarians. I don't know why he said vegetarians, but from that day onwards we considered vegetarian people to be handicap. We also had an uncontrollable laughing attack that day that would come back for years to come. It ahould also ve noted that my uncle had a crazy indian accent.

10. because a old joke is calling handicap people "vegetables"...mainly the ones in wheelchairs

11. #31 pickledpie, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
    Yeah but he said it by accident in a funny indian accident. It's probably universal to call those dudes vegetables though.

12. Vegans say this all the time, bit science experiments have been done to test availability of consumed protein. Animal protiens are usually the highest qquality and easiest digest

I dont kk.ow where vegans get this meat is hard to digest BS. I've never seen any science suggesting it
    Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Can we hear more about this?

It's been 1.5 months since last activity so probably not....

14. A lot of people are vegan primarily for the perceived health benefits.

This is a moronic thread, really. Are you seriously proposing that no one should even bother trying to uphold their ideologies because of some potential double standards?

There is obviously a massive difference between holding animals in captivity, under deplorable conditions only to send them to a bloody death and owning property. Particularly if you share that property with animals, cats/dogs/chickens/etc.

15. "soil food web."

your move. lol.

It's better to do nothing, than to do the wrong thing.

16. Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure there's a lot of evil out there very happy with your pathetic apathy.

17. #37 clevername, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014

So your counter is "doing the wrong thing is better?"

lol. You'd make a terrible Jedi.

And it's not "apathy." Ever heard "two wrongs don't make a right?"

18. #38 LightAnother, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    Where did I say that "Doing the wrong thing is better"? Oh yeah, I didn't. You said that. Don't put words in my mouth. I think the whole statement is dumb and oversimplified. Besides which, you're not doing 'nothing' you're providing fiscal and moral support to slaughterhouses. I have nothing against that, in theory. But please, don't feign philosophical superiority because you think 'at least you're not doing the wrong thing'. 

19. here:

And actually, i'm not willingly providing fiscal and financial support... i'm merely making the choice required for survival. The ideal option is rarely available to anyone but the most privileged, which is not a group that includes me.

When the option is available to me, to "vote with my dollar," i expend effort toward making the best available (or least bad) choice. That option is not always available.

So it comes down to this: the animals have already been killed. It would be a shame to waste that life which was already sacrificed for the purpose of human consumption.

If someday i should happen to be wealthy enough to avail better choices for myself, then i will utilize that expanded availability. Until then, i'm content with my reasoning. The animals have already been converted to food products, so i might as well use them instead of wasting them. Meanwhile, i will try to acquire such things from organizations who minimize the suffering to the animals they process. I don't think that's "doing the wrong thing." I think that is "doing the least bad thing, of the available choices." Doing literally nothing would result in an agonizing starvation process, which would result in my own death... and i'm not about to justify my suicide over the long established processes which existed before even my grandparents were born.

Plus, you know, there's nothing quite like a thick, juicy steak. ^^

20. You used inverted commas to insinuate that I had said "Doing the wrong thing is better". Yet, you post a quote in which I mock your apathy... And nowhere in that quote was that string of six words. Just because I disagree with your sentence, doesn't mean that I agree with the opposite of it.

Of course you're willingly supporting. At least have some accountability to the atrocities your support. Just because it's in the name of 'survival' does not make it unwilling.