Montser Cropping First Try (Pics)

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by thcCR, Apr 30, 2014.

1. #1 thcCR, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    This is the first time Im going to try to do monster cropping. 
    I took 1 clone from a plant that had 3 weeks in flower, its under a 23w CFL 24/7 and the photos will tell you the rest. 

My question is about the flowers on the clone, Im not sure if I should trim the rest of the flowers or not? So, basically, Im I doing this right?

Any suggestions are welcome!  

Attached Files:

2. Your clone won't even root if it gets too much light. Did you give it 48 hrs darkness before the 24/7 cfl?

3. #3 morange, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    That's not true, I put every single clone I take directly under 18/6 or 24/0 and I have a 90%+ success rate easily. I have a few plants that are similar to how yours is. Just let it be, it will stay the same for quite some time, then begin to reveg with thin 1 bladed non serated leaves as the hormones change. The longer it goes, the more veg like the growth will become. It's going to be extremely branchy plant at the point where the flowers are currently. Personally I'd take advantage of that by topping the first new top once it finally starts vegging properly, or if you prefer not to cut your plants then low stress training to keep it consistent and tight node growth.

It's going to take a while, a whole lot longer than a normal clone, so don't give up if it doesn't do anything for a while.

EDIT: for example here's one a few pics with timestamps of one I have right now:

first took cuttings DSCI3979.JPG

chose the healthier of the two DSCI4136.JPG

The plant next to it got big enough to clone, so I added cuttings from that DSCI4206.JPG

The cuttings rooted and starting to veg along side the revegging clone DSCI4534.JPG

This week DSCI4790.JPG

As you can see it is a really slow process but where the flower used to be is now an extraordinarily compact plant. Now I can take that plant and use the top for clone(s), and transplant the branchy bottom part when I want to flower it out.

4. I've tested how far cloning is viable and it's pretty nuts how far into flower you can take a clone. My mama purple paralysis last year finished at 73 days,which is when I Took the last clone,and while it Took quite a bit longer to root, 17days, it still rooted,and was in full reveg less than 2 months later.

Sent from my ADR6350

5. I'm no expert, especially with cloning. Still working out the kinks for myself but indeed I've taken and seen many other clones successfully taken @ harvest. It's pretty awesome. I would imagine trimming the flower would be bad. I've never seen it done, but again am far from an expert.

Nope, it went directly to the 24/7 cfl. I never heard of the 48 hours of dark... How does this help?

Wow, great post, really helpful, thanks for sharing, the plants look pretty nice, I would love to see the final product!!
    I dont think I will top it and Ill just let it be, so I can have a nice bushy plant!! Thanks for the advice.

I heard that the plants do lose some potency, is this true? And if I get clones from a monstercropped plant, will they have any issues? Or they wil be perfectly normal clones??

Thanks for the help!!

It allows the clipping to focus on rooting. When it takes in light, it tries to grow. Hopefully your clones do well anyways.

9. i always put my clones under lights, however i also cut off the tips of any leaves  on the cutting. this also allows the cutting to focus on root growth instead of veg growth! there are several examples of monstercropping in my journal that you can check out!! monstercropping does exactly what it impies.... creates MONSTERS!!!

I did not know that, Its not the first time I clone, but I have to admit I dont have 100% rooting, always around 70 to 80%. Which still works great for me.

In the next few days I will do an aero or bubble cloner, not sure which is better yet, I do lean to the bubbler, its easier to do and a little cheaper.

Any experiences with these cloning methods?

So you cut every tip of every leaf?? I always leave the two first leaves untouched, should I cut them? IIm still on time to do it?
    I saw your journal, pretty dam nice, you have some nice things going on for you, congrats!!
    thanks for the help!

12. hey CR you can leave the new top growth that wont be an issue. thanks It takes alot of work & dedication but I just love doing it!! if there's anything I can help you with just let me know!

Are you buying your cloner or building it? I built mine & it works great, its easy to do & will save you a bundle of cash!! 

Ok M, Ill just leave the top growth. Well, you are doing great! Just like you I love to grow weed, its like a passion... Anyways, in the next few days Ill be doing a closet for mothers and clones, a big (100+ starting plants) outdoor guerrilla grow and a couple of projects more, so Ill be needing lots of help!!

I will be building the cloner for sure! Ill do the bubbler method! Lots of work coming up! 

14. 7 days and the plant looks ok. No major changes until now, but if I look closely into the buds (or whatever is left of it, I can see a very tiny leaf developing, Im uploading a pic but I dont know if its clear enough. Hopefully Im on the right track.

Attached Files:

15. things are looking good, I just got back after 2 days & have 4 pgs of notifications!!!wtf things been busy since i been gone

16. When growing weed things will always be busy! 
    So the tiny leaf growth is a good sign? What do you think is a normal period of time until a monstercropped plant has to be transplanted?
    Once again, thanks M

17. any leaf growth is a good sign! as far as the monstercrop transplanting really all depends on the root structure, just like any other plants!!
    the longer into flower the clones are taken the longer it will be before they root! i find cuts taken @ 3-4 wks root twice as fast as cuts taken @ 6+wks!! once they are rooted treat them like any other plant!
    You are very welcome! its really my pleasure to be able to return info that has been so freely given to me! anything i can do to help just ask!

18. Great, things are working out! Hopefully it wont take a lifetime to be ready for transplant.
    You are of great help M, keep it coming!