No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    • Like Like x 1
  1. I can manage with 2-3 gal, but for my circumstances 2-3 gal are for testers and then i move up to 7 if they make the selection.

Can observe the mulch disappearing weekly when the soil is alive and the worms are in the zone. //static.grscty.com//public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.png

2. ill be using a 180 mars led for the first tender weeks..then switch to 400 hps..
    max height is something like 3 1/2 ft

3. you'll have to use your best judgement on your own height then - and I would use your own advice and train the hell out of them so that you can veg as long as possible yet retain low height.

Remember they'll double - and sometimes more? in flower...

Remember you'll need a foot minimum and probably 16" of clearance from the bottom of your HPS to top of plant, too...

J

4. I took the 16 inches into account when guessing..
    but thanks for that..being reassured of your choices is always good..

5. On my 2nd no till cycle just about ready maybe 2 weeks to go. I definitely hooked on the no-till organic.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448685046.061993.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448685133.085129.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448685161.436386.jpg

7. Interesting observation I'm having with my 100 gallon no till...

I started it about 2 years ago with mixed results. Some nice harvests and some so so. A nice mix of cspm, homemade ewc, coast of Maine lobster compost, lava rock,perlite, bio char, kelp, neem, gypsum and tons of worms mulched with oak leaves and cannabis leaves. I knew I was close to being dialed in, as some harvests were phenomenal and worms were thriving. Some harvests however were not so good, very dark green leaves, some yellow tips, some twisty leaves, some bright yellow spots. Buds were potent but lacked flavor and yield. Occasionally the leaves would pray but not often. Also growth just seemed sluggish. I went through all of the usual wtf am I doing wrong moments??? Is it too much water? Too little water? Too hot? Insects? Too much light? (yes it's possible with led's).

Sooo about 2 weeks ago I'm heavily medicated, my plants are in early flower, it's looking like I'm in for a so so run as I'm seeing a lot of the above symptoms. I'm wondering why my last harvest was better in the same pot...the only difference is I'm using tap water as opposed to my outdoor shallow well water that I use in the summer and spring, which tends to be acidic, about 5.5. The tap water (known to be high quality) is at about 8.5. I know it's blasphemy to even think about PH in these here parts, but hang with me here...So I top dress with a small handful of espoma soil acidifier (sulfur and gypsum), which I use on my blueberries, then do a typical watering and....holy growth explosion bat man!!!! I have never seen cannabis grow so fast!!! The last two week have been insane...I grew hydro for several years and organic the last 3 and can't believe what I'm seeing now! They won't stop praying....love it!

I can't help but think the COM lobster compost might be the culprit. Being lobster shell it must be loaded with calcium and magnesium which is what most liming agents consist of...🤔
    Perhaps it should be treated more like an amendment as opposed to a compost, as in go very light with it... Very good stuff, just about 5x stronger than most other composts...🏽️

8. #11309 jerry111165, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
    psyched it's working out for you! It must feel great - kudos!

J

Edit - you know we want pics right? :)

9. Pain in my A-Hole...I just had my ebb setup flood....I couldn't find the small pump when I got it going. The smallest adjustment to much....Sucking balls..It just needed a little bit more..WTFE.... I was good having a lazy day...If I wasn't true to my word and finish this run out i'd be chopping!!!

Thanksgiving Weekend: Thankful this shit didn't happen at the old apartment.

Thankful My veg setup is the start of going organic; and it is already in motion while moving forward.......

Thanks Blades!!!

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448804099.998005.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448804116.788382.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448804164.795504.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448804183.057950.jpg

Jerry wants pic Jerry gets pics!

These were put on 12/12 on Nov 15, 5x5 tent about 1000 w total LED....

11. They look healthy from what I can see... But man it's so hard to see a lot through all of that purple... Lol

Thanks though. Glad you've got it worked out.

J

12. Thats where subfloors above concrete slabs come in real handy. In my case I squeegee that water right out the garage door, break out the big fan and dry the rest up. It helps have a slab with a slight fall towards the door and to be in a place with low humidity.

13. So I made a comment about making your pun smart pots here's a pic of my prototype. 6 inches cubed.

Attached Files:

14. Where the step by step

15. I will most definitely post some bud shots with the colored LEDs off. Here's a few from last batch with well water.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448840056.948954.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448840131.855084.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448840204.036804.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1448840441.741876.jpg

16. much better!

17. My conclusion to the whole does ph matter in organics is, yes and no. If your original mix is proper and your water source ph is within a reasonable range, you should never have to check ph.

However if your having sluggish results, ya might wanna check it, cause If there's any chance you were baked and screwed up your original mix or your main water source is highly acidic or alkaline, it might be out of whack.

18. This is how I think pH works in organic soil:

Fungi and bacteria are responsible for the decomposition and the release of plant nutrients. However, they have different roles in the recycling of nutrients due to their different choice of environments in the soil and the different types of organic matter they consume. So the balance of fungi and bacteria in the soil is important.

The higher the populations, the healthier the soil. There is a shift in dominance from bacterial to fungal in fully functioning ecosystems. The roots pump out certain exudates that attract the microbe that feeds that particular nutrient. So if they want magnesium or whichever, the exudates will change the ph to the one that microbe likes. So it's constantly fluctuating. That means don't bother measuring it because by the end of the day, it will change.

I'm not too certain water plays a role as much as quality of humus used. Biology will change the ph right away. It's minerals and nutrients in the water which determines the ph of the water. It's generally fairly small for most people. If your houseplant is fine, your pot plants should be too. Imo

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.