No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Read my previous post. If you use fresh vermicompost you will end up with worms in your pots just from the cocoons. My pots are full of worms and I've never bought any. Look for horse manure on craigslist...that's where I got mine, for FREE!!!!

Solo

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for everyone who replied and helped answer my questions. I'm going to start over on reading this whole No-Till journal and make sure to take notes along the way this time so i don't miss or forget anything important! Another question for you ROLS people out there, what kind of pots do you guys use? Smart or Geo pots or just normal black pots? I've heard that the smart and geo pots dry out quicker and they can be a little messy when watering sometimes, yet a lot of ROLS use them.. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a typical black plastic pot be best because it would hold the most moisture? And how dry can the pots get before it starts killing the microbes? The reason i ask is i'm just afraid of bugs or fungus or mold or rot from keeping the soil to moist, What separates the line between keeping it moist enough and then too moist?

3. Fabric pots get more oxygen to the roots.  Plastic pots do hold moisture longer.
    I feel like the only time my soil was too wet, was when my aeration was insufficient in my mix.  
    Mulch FTW

4. #6644 Kaylx, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    Use fabric pots. If you are new to this mix its heavier than bagged mixes and the fabric pots will give you much more room for error while you learn to water. The main reason we all use them is for the oxygen to power the microbes and roots...

Think of the plants at the river. Not the ones in it or the ones up on the dry top of the bank. The thriving ones that always have primo moisture levels and associated vigorous healthy growth habits, no matter what the plant type. That is what you are shooting for. Start hydrated and water less more often is my beginner advice, and mulch at least an inch or two thick helps the top not get a crust and the moisture stay more even top to bottom.

hth

5. Chunk,

Thanks for the help.   I gave my friend a link to Concentrates and NWRedworms....It sounds like he is going with a local Eastern WA nursery that will blend to his specs using what look to be very good materials.   His cost will be in the neighborhood of $425 cy delivered....not bad if the quality is there.  I'll let you know how this works out.  Thanks again.

MrBridge

That works out to $15.75 cu/ft which still seems high to me for 7 cu/yds. I guess factoring delivery in is an added value. Let us know how it goes.

7. Have you compared the prices with KIS nursery in Redmond, WA? They ship the same stuff from concentrates and mix soils and (i believe) will deliver. Might be worth a shot :unsure: post an ad on craigslist and see if some local guy with a dump trailer will haul it for cheaper or maybe a barter :unsure:

8. Jesus christ....I'm building 3 yards with plenty of left over amends to last me 2 seasons at least for just shy of 800. And there's allot of shit going in this soil! I'm so happy I have the room to build it though.....I hope you all chime into my thread ;-).

9. #6649 BHamBudzNW, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    Tad (KISorganics) sells 1 yard of water only soil for $250 in a "super sack", you can get his new Bio-char mix for $350. It's honestly a ridiculously good deal. He MIGHT deliver for the right price but I always just drive to pick it up.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Extra $100 for biochar?? At what percentage? I'd rather just buy 2 cf of black owl and add it myself. :confused_2:

11. Sonoma has 1 cuft for for 17.50...

12. I have a question.. I've been no til growing for some time now. This will be my 3rd cycle thru..in my 7 and 10 gallon smart pots. I have slivers of purple going thru my stems and I have no idea why. This has been the case since my first grow. Can someone try to help me pinpoint this?
    My mix:
    1/3 peat
    1/3 compost/ewc
    1/3 perlite/local stones

Amendments:
    neem cake
    Crustacean meal
    Kelp meal
    Espoma Tomato tone
    Azomite

Ohh okay, that makes since why everyone uses the smart pots. Well then i for sure will be using the smart pots, especially if they are a little forgiving with over-watering since they dry up rather fast. Thanks guys again for another great answer! Can't wait to get started with my No-Till, i can already smell the results [​IMG]

14. Don't worry bout the purple bro, in my experience it shows because of temp drops from light to dark...... Or maybe some cal/mag? Lmao

15. This could very well be. Indoor grower and my room stays about 68 degrees and inside tents usually peak no higher than 80. And dropping no less than 65..am I locking nutrients out by bringing them to 65temps
    This could very well be. Indoor grower and my room stays about 68 degrees and inside tents usually peak no higher than 80. And dropping no less than 65..am I locking nutrients out by bringing them to 65temps

16. It's 15% I believe but don't quote me directly on that. He uses black owl biochar and charges it with fish hydrolosate for 2 weeks before mixing. They've had really good lab results with this mix and outstanding costumer reports.
    Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. guys look what i got, anyone want to guess what it is? [​IMG]
    20150327_134328_resized.jpg

It's
    a

Neem Sapling! [​IMG]
    i was just so excited to find this i had to get one! not that i have actually a place to grow it so it will become a bonsai neem! maybe one day when i get a house i can give it a real home [​IMG]

peace!

18. Congrats! I have one in my veg tent. Little fella compared to yours, hoping to put mine outside. Thinking of planting one everywhere I live in the future, climate allowing of course lol

Check out my grow! Mars II LED & Organic No-Till Soil.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1318542-freedom-35.htmlk

"So for the farmer in his work: serve nature and all is well. Farming used to be sacred work. When humanity fell away from this ideal, modern commercial agriculture rose. When the farmer began to grow crops to make money, he forgot the real principles of agriculture."

19. #6659 dizzyDnutz, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    One quick question I have is I'm making a newer batch of just a cu. Ft. Of mix and my amendments is my question...
    The amount I plan to use per cu. Ft. Is:
    1.5 cups neem cake
    1.5 cups bio-tone starter plus
    1.25 kelp meal
    1.5 cups crustacean meal

Would that be enough? Or should I add more of something ?

20. Plenty...... Triple the kelp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.