My First Grow

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by xtctrigga, Apr 27, 2014.

1. so a friend of my moms whole crop got pollinated by one male by accident and she ended up with hundreds of seeds. still gotta find out what strain though. it is currently day 19 from seed and my plants are doing well. after much of the info from this site i decided to go with coco because it seems very forgiving and easily managed for someone like me. im using 3 florescent tubes at 32w each right now for the 10 seeds ive started and just gave the first feeding at around 180ppm. i plan on cloning and then sexing the clones in a few weeks and then making a bonsai mother and taking clones from there. not much else to say for now just gonna try and keep up the posts and progress. hopefully yall can give me some advice when needed.
    View attachment 138195
    View attachment 138196

2. Did you germinate the seeds in the coco? 

3. no i used rockwool cubes when i wasnt sure what route i was gonna go. just planted the whole cube in the coco lol. im gonna make one or two a mother and then clone from there.

4. You're gonna need more light.

Fluorescent are fine for babies, but as they grow you'll want to switch to HID lighting if possible.

5. update: ive been sick for a little over a week and just got around to transplanting my plants Ä«nto 3gal pots. i also went from 3 t8 lights to 6 of them in a different fixture. coco mix is the same 75% /25% but different brand. i also forgot to mention my one plant in a box with a cheap ebay led. its very low watts something like 0.6w a bulb but doing the job for veg right now. just wanted to test it out and by the looks ill probably use this light to veg all my plants next season.
    View attachment 138543
    View attachment 138544
    View attachment 138545

6. im afraid of racking up a big electricity bill with any hid setup. although with as many bulbs as im gonna need for these plus some cfls hanging from the sides. it may end up being just the same. ive only had experience with hids through friends and their electricity bill was no issue, so i dont know exactly what to expect with them.

7. My 400w is run 12 hours a day, and my bill went up about $20 a month or something. You can use one 400w for those easily.

Sent from my N9810 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. ill check into it when i start flouring them im feeling like i could use the light.

9. day 29 now. im gonna start LSTing them soon. im watering alot less frequently due to the large pots they still have alot of water. things are going well and ive upped the ppm to 350 next week ill probably go to 450-500, theyre still kinda small though. the one led plant is doing quite well actually probably better than the floros. pretty much it for now. well see in a week
    View attachment 138829
    View attachment 138830
    View attachment 138831

10. #11 xtctrigga, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
    View attachment 139041
    View attachment 139042
    plants are starting to yellow now and top leaves are curling up. started two days after feeding 400ppm. ph runoff is 6.1 slightly high but i dont think its too high is it? the thing is temp is kinda high about 80-85. i was thinking it was lacking nitrogen so about 5 days from the feeding i fed again with 500ppm this time which was yesterday. now im thinking either the temp or too much nutes? dont really know i need help.

11. #12 angusbeef, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    ok good diagnosis I was going to say early signs of nitrogen deficiency from that first photo from day 29.

what is your nutrient regiment? A bottle of cal mag will fix that yellowing in no time.

Also, it looks as though you are under feeding in pure volume of water when you do.  Possibly multiple times in to rapid of succession.  That may explain some leave curl due to over watering..i've found its better off to water coco to 10% run off caught in trays and let the medium almost completely dry before watering again.

To chime in on the hid, I started with a 400 and regret ever considering less than a 600.  That extra 200 watt is well worth it.

12. #13 xtctrigga, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    Thanks for the help dude. I flushed yesterday but I guess I should cut back on the watering. Doesn't look like the problem is getting worse as of today. Doesn't look too happy though :( here's the latest pic of the WORST plant. Not all are them are this bad though. Let me know if you still think it's a nitrogen deficiency.

View attachment 139256

13. #14 xtctrigga, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    Plants are doing ok. Feeding once a week at 250ppm. It's day 54 now from seed. Started lst and topped a couple weeks ago. One plant seems to be pre flowering. I don't exactly know why as they're not autos I think. It may be because it's closest to the opening in the door and sometimes gets a little light in the dark period. Not quite sure but I'm keeping them all at 18/6. At least it's showing female preflowers and not make right? Lol

Attached Files:

14. #15 case22, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    Looks like you need some calmag in their diet I like to follow AskEd's advice and do a feeding of just 10mL/gal each of calmag and protekt once every week or two.  Otherwise, looking good mahne. 

Edit: last pic doesn't look deficient, keep it up. 

15. when you do water..

water enough so that it comes out the bottom of the pot.. shoot for 10 percent run off caught in a tray and it'll soak it back up over night.. the coco looks a little dry in last picture. depending on temps and root development should fall into a normal schedule of every two days or so.

Have you planned for transplant?

16. Keep it going, man! Hard to say what the issue was in the beginning - could have been PH fluctuations or a deficiency. How's your humidity level? For vegging, it wouldn't hurt to have 40% - 70% RH and at flowering, closer to 45% RH or less.

Just a coco watering tip - use the weight test. Water your plants thoroughly until you get about 20% runoff. Lift your pots and get a feel for the overall weight. When they dry up, get a feel for that weight. Now you know when you need to water. For coco, I typically water every 2 - 3 days during the early stages of growth and slowly move towards watering every day as they hit the flowering stage.

Just remember - Coco is a soil-less medium that acts like a hydro. Essentially, it's very, very hard to over water in coco. Good luck! 

17. I've found that if ur water is quite hard (a lot of calcium/limescale) then it's best to ph ur water to 5.5 then if it creeps up a bit it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if it creeps up too much u can get nute lockout ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1404310382.902878.jpg