Superbox Growing Journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Wild Master, Apr 25, 2014.

1. #21 GoldGrower, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Certainly not a deficiency, what's the EC/ppm of your water? I think most likely the cube is too wet for too long. Try completely saturating them and then sucking out 1ml of the water with a pipette or syringe

2. I read your rockwell issue by the way!!!

Yeah, that may be it.

The PPM i spray them with is about 150. I haven't checked it since I put it in the spray bottle.

It was just tap water PH at 5.7.

4. I don't have an EC reader though.

This is such a critical stage. I can't stop thinking about them...ugh!!!

5. Your ppm and PH is good. 150ppm is about 0.30 EC I think. Rockwool is hard to get moisture content perfect, especially in small cubes. Once you have some roots showing you can put it in your system and by the time the roots hit the water it won't matter if the rockwool cube is too wet or too dry. 

You could put them in now but you have to have the waterline perfect otherwise you could end up with waterlogged cubes 

6. Thanks, I will have to figure out a less labour intensive way because they dry out fast.

7. They feel like they are growing very slow and getting more yellow. I have been keeping the Rockwool nice and moist the past day. I deep 1/4 of the rockwool in 5.8 PH water for 4 seconds and the whole thing gets pretty moist quick.

Could it be the light? I am using a 200w felize blue spectrum 5500K

8. They in the rez?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Not, just in a tray inside my superbox.

I am thinking on buying some lighter lights instead. Maybe they are not licking the light...too strong!

Attached Files:

10. Maybe cfls to start them with

11. The current one is CFL, but I have them about 30 inches away at the moment.

12. Try and getting it as close as possible without burning them. Or maybe its to powerful at this stage

13. What lighting did you use for your sprouts?

14. I used the little 23w 6500k cfls. Now theyre under 4-85w cfls until i get my led growlight :)

15. #35 GoldGrower, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    CFL? 30" away? Ok, I think this is your problem. What wattage CFL is it? You want it within 6" really.

Right now this is what I would do. Fill up the reservoir with water, no nutes, and a PH of about 5.8, fill it up so the waterline is about half inch under the bottom of the net pots. You don't want it touching the pots at this stage.  Then put some clay balls in to the pot, place the rockwool on top and then fill the side in with more balls. Have the rockwool quite high up if you can. 

The water should splash up on to the clay balls keeping them relatively damp, and in turn keeping the rockwool damp. You will need to check a few times a day at first to make sure the rockwool doesn't dry out or get wet. 

Don't use the top feed tubes yet as they will saturate the rockwool and suffocate the roots . As long as the rockwool is staying damp the CFL should be lowered to a few inches away.

16. If the rockwool is getting too wet, lower the waterline slightly. If it's getting too dry, raise the waterline slightly. You may need the water to contact the net pot, but try it just below first 

I think because the plants are getting hardly any light it's slowing growth so much the roots are putting on mass. Roots should be growing 1"-2" per day at this stage

17. Thanks guys. I think the lighting is where the problem is.

I could do that today like you said Gold Grower, I can't really lover the light, but I could raise the reservoir.

The light is 200 W CFL feliz. Should I change light bulbs for now, lower watt, or just keep the one I have but at the right distance.

18. Start with everything else first and then go from there :)

19. The light is a good wattage, it doesn't need changing but it certainly needs to be closer. 2" would be great but this could dry out the cubes too quickly. 6" should be ok though, but keep regular checks just in case they do dry out 

20. Thanks man I started them at 9 inches right now first.