Why Do Some People That Drink Think That Weed Is Bad?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by tdrizzle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. #1 tdrizzle, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    I guess this is more of an opinion question, but we all know that alcohol can kill you, and that there has been no direct deaths because of smoking,(or other ways you get thc in you) marijuana.

So why do you think people are so ignorant, is it the lies that the government tell, the fact that it's illegal and they think people that do it or criminals?

2. When somebody has a indoctrinated thought to that extent, it is hard to change even if you bombard them with facts and reason. Ideological subversion takes generations.

3. they just dont take the time to understand it and theyve never experienced it so they just talk out of their asses about it

4. This. The longer somebody has held an idea, even if it is illogical, the more time and reasoning it will take to alter their opinion.

And I do think legality plays a role in it. Not as much against weed (though that too, of course) as for alcohol. Alcohol, while enjoyable, and relatively safe when consumed in moderation, can also be very dangerous, particularly with heavy, long term use.

Not advocating for the prohibition of alcohol, or any drug, really. Just seems like a lot of people lose sight of alcohol's potential dangers, sometimes due to the (often poor) thought process of "well, it is legal, it can't be that bad".

5. I think the drunks think weed is like alchahol and don't need another bad habit . There skerred . Because maybe they think they will abuse it . The way they abuse the booze .

Sent from your mom's phone.

6. Yeah everytime I hear that I shake my head.....I ask em..."If you had kids and they went to a party in HS, cuz theyre going too......would you rather them drink a 6pack and drive, or smoke a joint and drive?"

They hesistate and then they're like well yeah a joint but.......blah blah n start bullshitn lol

Cuz when your drunk you dont give a shit really....but when your high your extra cautious.

7. #7 Danerrr, Apr 24, 2014
    I've been thinking the same thing

A co worker of mine the other day said he hopes that weed doesn't get legalized (he's 20 and drinks like no other).

When I asked him why he never really gave me a definitive answer, just said "the only reason you want it legalized is so you can get high it's not a medicines pure basically telling kids it's okay to smoke weed"

However true the first half of it is for some people, it's a very ignorant opinion that I couldn't help but blow him up with facts and scientific studies about the topic. Showed him and told him every pro to it that I also told my dad and step mom (which ultimately led them to agree with me on the topic)

He didn't have any of it and still blindly agreed what news reporters are saying.

He doesn't consider taxation on it, medical benefits, less waisted money and time with the war on drugs (the more expensive part of the war might I add), freed up jail cells, etc.

I mean I know weed isn't for everyone but it doesn't mean you have to be close minded about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #8 Danerrr, Apr 24, 2014
    Edit - god I fucking hate when I miss quote

9. Well for one its illegal, and for that's enough reason for some people not to pursue interest in it. Then comes in all the propaganda further enforcing the notion in their head that cannabis is immoral and unhealthy and that is why it is illegal. They never took the chance to read up for themselves and now they wouldn't feel the need to because they "know enough".

It's one big, ugly cycle of misinformation, and that won't change until people learn for themselves

Well yeah, when you're drunk you're like fuck it who cares I probably won't hit anything.

When you're high you're like, "Oh shit I'm driving while baked I better not fuck this up, better back outta here nice and slow..."

11. there are only two cures for brainwashing:

#1- Brainwashing

#2- Death

This. People grow up being taught certain things, so when they're grown up their minds can't be changed. That is why some people just have a grudge against marijuana and other drugs. 

13. #13 4r5t6y7, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    This goes with a quote I go by by Mark Twain I believe

"it is easier to fool someone than to convince them they've been fooled"

In this case millions have been fooled and cannot be convinced otherwise

14. Yeah, these all sound right, just wish there were legitimate ways to change these peoples minds.

15. Just try to spread as much accurate and unbiased information on the subject as you can. Granted, many will be like talking to a brick wall, but you never know who you might get across to. The ones who are more logical and intellectually honest could likely be swayed when presented with rational arguments.

This is excellent advice...accurate and more importantly unbiased...

Unfortunately there seem to be two strong polar opposites in the whole MJ thing...

There's the "weed is bad and will kill everyone", and then there's the "weed is all natural so it could never harm a soul"...

Sorry to say, but both are wrong...the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

When you try to convince someone who has a pre-conceived notion weed is evil that it's not all that bad, one has to take into account that for all her wonderfulness, MJ isn't perfect...some people still have problems with her...

You will have better luck trying to convince an anti-MJ person of MJ's benefits and safety if you are able to leave your pro-MJ bias out of it...something most pro-MJ people find impossible to do...

17. This annoys the shit out of me OP!
    This chick I went to highschool posted on facebook the day before 4/20 saying something along the lines of how she thinks "anyone who post a 4/20 status tomorow is a loser and they need to grow up and spend time with their families and weed makes your employable" but the next day she post "girls night with my bitches! Going out for drinks" and she is totally cool with going out and drinking and fucking random dudes but hates on cannabis so much........ ......WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!?!?!!!!!

Yea i feel your pain OP

18. While it's easy to make that assumption I argue that it's not always true.
    I was a Christian(as in someone who did their best to put Jesus #1 in their life, I'd research the history of the bible, the different doctrines and beliefs surrounding the bible, etc) and I debated with those of opposing beliefs on what the bible actually taught. I was sincere in my belief, I never felt that Jesus was a myth or "just in my head", I prayed constantly, y'know, the whole enchilada.

But while taking a serious approach to one of my good friends attempts to make me rethink my world view if came across arguments, data, and historical information that dismantled my Christian world view and what I thought to be real.
    It took a couple of minutes to sink in while I was still reading, and searching questions and counter arguments and so forth, but THAT VERY DAY I gave up the bible as a instruction book inspire by good, and lost total feeling of any previous need to pray and thank god for anything.

So I say it depends on the person.
    Even the Jehovah witnesses whom I'm talked/debated win every Saturday when they came and gave my mother bible study didn't believe that I had left my previous world view and even claimed I did it all just to "rebel".

*phew* I'm done now :)

19. In her defense, anyone posting a 4/20 status IS a loser, ahahahah. Gotta love the pseudo-counterculture.

20. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1398501814.243120.jpg