Career

Discussion in 'General' started by Newbie_of_the_Kush, Apr 24, 2014.

1. I'm currently 18, *cough*, just out of high school. This may sound weird but since I started smoking weed about a month and a half ago, I've really been thinking about how I want a career that will have me working around marijuana constantly. I want to be that person who can explain all the different strains, what each will do for you and just have knowledge for people getting into smoking. I was just wondering if anyone out there actually has a kind of job like this or if there are such ones that you can make a living off of.

Newbie_of_the_Kush

2. *cough* dispensary sales associate?

3. #3 UnsuspiciousUsername, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    A new thing pops up and people think you can just walk into it.
    Yeah, you can walk into the business...at mid-level jobs earning minimum wage.

Do you just want to chill at some small-owned dispensary for most of your life? Is that what you're imagining or something?
    Getting someone to be able to talk about weed is not a qualification. I can teach an immigrant all he needs to tell my customers about my product (marijuana) in a couple of days. But I can't just teach them how businesses works or customer service (both of those are acquired). 

It's a business like any other, so learn about business itself, not the commodity.

You want the real advice?
    Get a degree, get some internships, and get some work experience. Then you'll be successful.
    Go into finance, management, or marketing.
    That way, maybe one day sooner than later, you can get a real position that pays real money. When this goes legal, companies are going to be sprouting up; legitimate and large ones. And to be hired and climb the ladder, you start from the ground up so go to college my friend.

Another thing that will be needed is researchers for companies and government sectors.
    Reading articles on the side and knowing everything won't help you.
    You'll need again: science degree, research internships, and maybe even graduate school.

Also, 
    Why would you say that? *cough*
    As though you are insinuating you are actually younger...that's like asking for it. Just don't even mention it. 

4. Mate, I live in England and im hoping we pass a free weed bill, the first thing i would do is open a dispensary. It would be good by builder, hello full time weed grower and legal supplier.
    Follow trippys advice, get involved with them guys and gals and you will get first hand professional know how. It may take a while to get where you want but you got to start somewhere.

5. Sorry, I coughed mid sentence and my fingers must have subconciously spelled it out without my realizing. Thanks for the reply, but is there any alternative to college. With this economy I can't help but see the downside of coming out with a substantial debt. Not worth it in my eyes.

Newbie_of_the_Kush

6. #6 UnsuspiciousUsername, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Community college.
    Or find a university that isn't expensive- thousands exist.
    I'm in Florida. I go actually go to a university, but tuition is not that expensive.
    I got good/decent grades, so I obtained two scholarships (one is Bright Futures from the state government itself and the other is from the school). It covers tuition, plus I get a few hundred back each semester. I don't know about every state, I know of five at least, but there should be schools around you that shouldn't come close to breaking the bank. If you need a bit of cash to finish paying it off, there are things I attempted doing known as part-time and/or summer jobs.

Not trying to be assertive, but if you are finishing high school this month, you need to get your life on order and hop on the track because deadlines come up soon for the upcoming year.

You don't need an expensive degree from a preppy school to succeed (unless it's Ivy League, that's a bonus that always helps, but not necessary).
    From the people I know that are successful, internships and work experience trump an expensive degree. (But nonetheless, you need a degree to display you have at least some education).

7. Thanks so much for replying. Community college is something I honestly have never looked at. I think I'm going to research it a bit. You're right about the life on order. I'm lazy af and have like 47 missing assignments. My friends got me to quit the smoking for a month a couple days ago so I can straighten up, but not much has changed yet. Motivation problems.

Newbie_of_the_Kush

8. Your going through what EVERY 18 :rolleyes: year old weed smoker is going through.

Trust me when I say I tried really fucking hard.

And now I sell tobacco. Still a smoking product right? Lol

Go to a trade school and become a software technician. Play it safe man. Having grand green ambitions at a young age can actually be extremely detrimental.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Finmmmn

9. Here is the best advice I can give you. I'm not established myself but I'm about to go into my second job.

Don't keep your expectations specific. Because if it doesn't happen you will be disappointed. Save your biggest goals for when you are older. Work on the stuff that will get you there for now. Like UnsuspiciousUsername said college can help you with your aspirations, then all it takes is the first person who gives you a chance, and your dedication to proving you are worth the chance.

Also don't kiss ass, there is no need for it. Assert yourself in interviews, and show you are confident in your abilities. I just be honest in my interviews and it has worked out so far. The college degree is a good jumping off point but it's mainly what you make of it. No one will care where you got it. It shows dedication, that a lot of people don't have.

10. Reality is money doesn't lie in marijuana solely because it is illegal. Any kind of big money is either hard to come by or illegal. Definitively not something worth investing time in unless ur a hardcore hippie who's content with simple life.

Sent from my iPhunny using Grasscity Forum appster

11. Thanks for the replies blades. I'm starting to realize this is probably a phase due to the excitement that discovering weed brings and the feelings. I would like to have weed in my life, but that doesn't mean I'll be happy having my career revolve around it. I think I'll follow through with my plans on railroad labor and let smoking fit it when appropriate. Thanks again!

Newbie_of_the_Kush

12. #12 mak1178, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    I know a kid I graduated HS with, who graduated from a nice state school and now is moving to Colorado to work for 12 an hr to help grow... At the same time i just got a web developer job and I'm about to graduate college. the point is I make weed work around me not the other way. Sad thing is he didn't even smoke during HS lmao!