Who Here Actually Knows Science

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by semprfidelis, Apr 23, 2014.

To deny science isn't merely "wrong" its dangerous, irresponsible and just plain dumb.  I know a lot of "know nothings."  People that are content to walk around as if they are rational but all the while ignore facts happening all around them.  They instead couch themselves is theological contrivances and argue against anything contradicting them.  There are a lot of willfully ignorant people in the world that won't let a little old thing like science stand in the way of their delusions.....

2. Big Bang violates the laws of thermodynamics. But i do believe in evolution. Maybe God created the world through the big bang and then let evolution run its course without any intervention

3. #43 Al XE the Bud, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    And hence the name: Singularity.
    Also, such a God holds no sway over us and is therefore not to be considered.

4. I don't need to provide any evidence when there is plenty if it out there that has been tested for years and we can see with our own eyes is true. You see you can be skeptic and say dogs didn't come from wolves but we know today that they did. But the beauty of science is that if something comes up to prove this wrong we won't deny it like some people. In fact it will be fully embraced because science doesn't just make stuff up it seeks the truth and is always being changed..I'm not sure how much you know about evolution truly it's not really a questionable thing once you learn it.

5. Okay dude, that's up to you. I provided evidence because I wanted to. And isn't science about expanding human knowledge?
    To me that includes providing information to those who ask for it :)

6. I'm going to make a list of undeniable evidence just to clear everything up. What amazes me is that here you have some of the smartest people in the world that are PROFESSIONALS and spend years researching and backing up there explanation but all the sudden a church goer is now able to deny all this and debate on the same level.

I'll edit this post with the links soon

7. I wouldnt challenge mainstream science, i dont have a death wish.
    My statement saying that if we can explain something that happend billions of years before we were even around then we should know everything there is to know about a bad cell that hasnt been around for that long in comparison, how is this ignorant, you have truly got me there.
    Before long isnt good enough, i see we pump a shit load of money into trying to explain something that quite possibly cant be explained, i bet that money would of cured cancer by now though.

I will watch Bill Nye, thank you, is there anything you would recommened.
    With regards to the bible im talking more the book of Daniel and Reverlation, but there are many things written that amaze me given the time it was and the limited vocabulary.

8. First if anyone wants to learn a lot I urge you to watch the Bill Nye debate against creationist. Bill doesn't deny God but simply teaches you science FACTS.
    http://youtu.be/z6kgvhG3AkI

I would also like to say I'm not going to go into a deep discussion because these topics are far too complex to explain to some people that are in denial and would be a waste of my time so feel free to research it all you like, but don't deny it if you know 10% of what you're saying is wrong.

Cosmic Inflation is enough evidence to proof the Big Bang true in my eyes.
    http://m.space.com/25159-gravitational-waves-theory-of-everything.html
    That whole topic is pretty complex so to dumb it down if the Big Bang is a gun that was fired this inflation would be the smoke coming off of the gun after it is shot. But this is just one of the many things that back it up

I was going to make a list but I forgot I would be here all day linking to thousands of different things that science can prove. I highly recommend you watch the debate if you want to learn about evolution, the earth, the Big Bang, ect.

9. Im making a coffee and rolling a joint and then i will watch it.

10. #50 semprfidelis, Apr 24, 2014
    Well to start off knowing about the earths past and our past and curing cancer are two different fields and are done completely different so yes I would say that's pretty ignorant. If that's how you feel I'm sorry because saying that because we know all this we should know how to cute cancer is almost as bad as the bible and it's logic. Not hating on you but that's pretty crazy to say.

11. If we can design and build the technology for 1, that which would seem impossible to find out, then surly we can design and build the technology for 2, that which is far more possible to achieve. You think it is ignorant to think like this, you still need to explain how it is ignorant because i dont see how. Surly it is far more a task to find out how things began then to find a cure for a bad cell. 

Or am i just really missing something.

12. You mean like Tiktaalik? looks like a fish crossed amphibian and lived about 370 million years ago,
    and then ones like 
    Acanthostega which are practically amphibians that lived 10 million years later

so yes we do have records of forms that do appear to be more like the other

if you are willing to sacrifice your time i bet i can explain evolution in an easier to understand way than what you have been subjected to

13. This is what i want, go for it.

14. well for one the ancestors of man wouldve needed pretty similar food and stuff so they wouldve been competing against each other which wouldve resulted in the extinction of the less adapted creatures

15. Ok ill try put it as simple as i can, tell me if you agree to any of the following

1. DNA determines the traits of a creature, like limbs, eyes, colour etc
    2. a DNA copy is passed down to the offspring of a creature, which is why you look similar to your parents
    3. DNA is subject to badly copied parts, or damage due to disease, radiation etc

16. #57 MelT, Apr 24, 2014

Yes. You think of cancer as being a single type of disease when it's many, all with different characteristics, and individual treatments that are usually matched to a specific patient's needs.We can already hold some types of cancer at bay and others are already fully treatable. Cancer isn't just about a 'bad cell'.

MelT

Edit: Could you explain more about the following, particularly the idea of limited vocabulary?

With regards to the bible im talking more the book of Daniel and Reverlation, but there are many things written that amaze me given the time it was and the limited vocabulary.

17. Yeah i do

I agree with you but i still think it shouldnt be an issue today. My aunt died in 97 of cancer, people today with the same kind are just the same as she was, there is no improvement imo, maybe others have a different experience.

Op, im 40 mins in, tbh im still with Ken Ham and his mates, even Bill Nye said in his opening "we will hear two stories", so I remain the same so far, nothing is fact and both stories take a bit of faith, and both have evidence to support them.
    I will keep watching though.

18. #59 semprfidelis, Apr 24, 2014
    Ken Ham basically used "God did it" for all his answers. Ken Ham will try to tell you the earth and dinosaurs are 6000 years old. Even if you are religious you don't wanna follow this guy. As bill will explain we have trees older than that.

But we have a right to our own beliefs But I'm glad you're at least not completely shutting down either side and looking at both. I was an active member of the church and true believer for 18 years so I've had my share of both sides so I tried to reason with Ken Ham. By the end of the video it wasn't possible for me at least. The evidence Bill provides was too overwhelming

My problem is that he wants to teach this in schools not that he himself wants to believe this

19. Definitely evolution. The big bang... I believe that scientific phenomenons and spirituality can be synonymous, so maybe it was "god" in a sort of way because I don't buy the big bang.